Thread: object in tank??? what to do

Unhappy object in tank??? what to do

1997 NA

OK, my son ran out of gas and had a friend bring him some. Apparently he left the cap or something on the end of the nozzle, then when removing the nozzle the peace fell into the tank. This is when I got the call
    My response was !!!!!

So now what? Do I, or Do I not worry about it? What's the pickup look like in the tank, can it be obstructed with the cap? I'm guessing it can. I understand the tank is a real bear to remove, but can you gain access to the tank from the rear deak? I know there is an opening where the fuel level and hoses go in. How easy is this to remove, and if I do so, will I actually have access to inside the tank?

Thanks
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Talking

If it was me I'd tell the kid to fix it.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If you take off the rubber hose connected to the filler-tube inside the trunk area, you might be able to fish it out. I'm guessing the object could get sucked on to the pickup and block some gas flow (depending on size).

Edit - Just thought about the fuel pump access panel under the rear deck carpet. It might be easier going that route.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/439697/4
    Last edited by sammm; 12-22-2008 at 10:24 PM.

Getting into the tank via the rear deck is rather easy since the pump is sitting right under the panel and the opening is quite wide. Just be careful not to spark against anything in the process...

With as many little shocks as I've been getting with this cold dry air, I'd wait for it to give you a problem.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Getting into the tank via the rear deck is rather easy since the pump is sitting right under the panel and the opening is quite wide. Just be careful not to spark against anything in the process...
    +1. Pull back carpet, remove access cover (about 6 screws), disconnect fuel plug and fuel lines (bring rags... they will spit on you), remove fuel pump (about 6 screws). This should leave you a hole in the tank that is plenty big enough for a 16 year old to stick his whole arm in the tank and feel around for stuff.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    +1. Pull back carpet, remove access cover (about 6 screws), disconnect fuel plug and fuel lines (bring rags... they will spit on you), remove fuel pump (about 6 screws). This should leave you a hole in the tank that is plenty big enough for a 16 year old to stick his whole arm in the tank and feel around for stuff.
    Disco the battery first and then step on the brake for 5-10 seconds to drain any electrical remnants.

Isn't there a one-way ball valve type thingy between the fill spout and the tank? Seems like a cap would have gotten caught at that point and not gone on to the tank.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Blog Entries

......and ground everything you can think of including the car to the ground. DO NOT use electrical tools. I would just leave it.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

How can this happen? There is a flapper valve in the fill tube that closes as the nozzle is removed. IF the cap was on when it was thrust into the opening, it can't be too big, therefore it's not going to plug the pickup. The pickup lies horizontally and the screen is about four inches long. I wouldn't worry about it.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

There is a sock on the end of the pick up that will prevent any problems.

Good point about static, I'd wait till spring and pull the pump.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Have you looked in the filler neck to see if it is there? Have you tried adding more gas, and did that work?

Tell the kid to tie a match to a piece of coathanger, light it, and stick it down the filler tube . . . 2 lessons to remember
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

That was the same thing I was going to suggest.
    Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Tell the kid to tie a match to a piece of coathanger, light it, and stick it down the filler tube . . . 2 lessons to remember
    I am with Merv on this one and the other guys. Don't worry about it. On my RX7 the baffle plates inside the tank broke loose. All that did was mess up the fuel float. I question if the plastic part even made it to the tank.

Thanks for all the input. I'm with most of you and am going to leave it alone, especially after seeing what the pickup looks like. I don't think it will cause any harm, and yes the kid has added more fuel to the car, and didn't report any problems filling it up.

kids
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    3Bean knows how easy it is to take out the pump. After he got the electrical problem solved, he an I watched about 2 gallons of $3.00 fuel spill out of the trunk last year when he went to fill it back up.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica