Thread: Women Drivers... PART TWO!

Default Women Drivers... PART TWO!

Wow. Just wow.

6 months after my Integra gets whacked by a Saturn Vue, I'm sitting in the left turn lane on Ira E Woods Ave. in Grapevine about to get on 114 to go to the RC field in my Miata.

There's a Lexus SUV in front of me.

The driver is talking on her cell phone.

I wait patiently for the light to change.

Out of nowhere, I see reverse lights. I try to get into reverse while laying on the horn, but I was too late...

CRUNCH. Again.

Seriously? Will it ever end?

This woman BACKS INTO ME in a TURN LANE!!!

My right front blinker is shattered. The headlight cover is dented and the light won't pop up. The fender is wrinkled. The hood is bent.

I got her information. Naturally, the light was green and the witnesses took off (busy intersection).

This time, I'm getting my freaking money.

For those of you who say that I'm being sexist, I beg to differ. 75% of the collisions I've been in involved a woman driver.

*sigh*

Naturally, this happens right after I sell the Teg.

I don't get it. Can you see how far it is to the entrance behind us?? I don't know if she was trying to make a U-Turn or what (she looked like she had plenty of room to me because she stopped like 20' behind the next vehicle).

She claimed she didn't see me but I don't know how that's possible unless she had NO idea how to adjust her mirrors; I always make it a point to ride the left edge of that turn lane so I can watch oncoming traffic for an opening to jump onto 114. So less than HALF of the right side of my car was actually behind her vehicle; most of it was blatantly exposed on her left.

I'm not happy right now.

Luckily I scraped some money together so I'll possibly be picking up a new vehicle tomorrow, which means I'll have something to drive until the Miata is fixed (it's driveable, but with the broken light I'm not driving it at night unless necessary... like tonight).

I'm emailing my adjuster shortly. We'll see what happens.

GAAAAAAAAAH
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Talking

That is why the saying is not "Karma is a dude!"

Bad thing is, without witnesses, she could turn in a claim on your insurance for rear ending her and get away with it.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Bad thing is, without witnesses, she could turn in a claim on your insurance for rear ending her and get away with it.
    We shall see.

Like I said, I'm getting my money this time. I'm not going to give it up like I did on the last one.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    This happened to me once. This guy came over to my lane not seeing me and crunched me. We exchanged info. and he apologized. Little did I know that he filed a claim against me that I went over his lane and crunched him. He even sent me a letter from his attorney! What I have learned is always get a witness or a police report even though the police is too lazy to come out to write up this kind of stuff. Too busy writing blinker tickets or eating donuts!
    Gabriel

"For those of you who say that I'm being sexist, I beg to differ. 75% of the collisions I've been in involved a woman driver."

But 100% of them involved you....... :) Hahahahahaha
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Blog Entries

Quit following women around so close and pulling way over so you can see them in their mirror and honking at them. I know you wanted to see her junk in the trunk but she may back that a$$ up without warning.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Always get the cops on the scene and file a report. Always. Even if you have to pull off into the nearest parking lot and wait for them. It's difficult for most people to bold-faced lie to the cops especially when they're still embarrassed from what they just did.

It's after they've had a few hours to cool off and think about it that they realize they can lie to their insurance to get off the hook. Without any proof (police report) you end up being absolutely S.O.L.

Sorry to hear about this man. It's every Miata owner's worst nightmare. Good luck getting it straightened out.

The only problem with getting a police report was after witnessing a wreck outside my store, the cops would not come unless it was an injury accident
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    "For those of you who say that I'm being sexist, I beg to differ. 75% of the collisions I've been in involved a woman driver."

But 100% of them involved you....... :) Hahahahahaha

That made me laugh!!!! So did Karma is not a dude Well played gentleman.

Goodluck Monkey, hopefully she's not a liar.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by mk2tmr2 View Post
    Always get the cops on the scene and file a report. Always. Even if you have to pull off into the nearest parking lot and wait for them. It's difficult for most people to bold-faced lie to the cops especially when they're still embarrassed from what they just did.

It's after they've had a few hours to cool off and think about it that they realize they can lie to their insurance to get off the hook. Without any proof (police report) you end up being absolutely S.O.L.
    +eleventy billion!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Just got a call from my adjuster who let me know that State Farm has accepted liability for the collision and is ready to write me a check. I'm waiting on a call back from their agent right now.

*whew*
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Congrats.. it will be interesting to see if they total it.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Congrats.. it will be interesting to see if they total it.
    I doubt it. I don't think the damage is bad enough....

Honestly though I'm not very experienced with insurance issues, so I don't have a clue.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Stupid weekends...

I finally got a call from the State Farm agent today and they'll have an inspector out within a day or two to check the car out.

I did manage to get the passenger headlight to come up, so at least I have lights... it won't cycle though (something is bent behind the bumper cover I think).

I'll be happy when this is over.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Stupid weekends...

I finally got a call from the State Farm agent today and they'll have an inspector out within a day or two to check the car out.

I did manage to get the passenger headlight to come up, so at least I have lights... it won't cycle though (something is bent behind the bumper cover I think).

I'll be happy when this is over.
    Are they paying for a rental for now?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Are they paying for a rental for now?
    They will when I take the car in... it's driveable right now. In retrospect I should have told them I'd rather not drive it so I could have gotten a rental sooner.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Okay!

Today the inspector came out and decided there was too much hidden damage for him to make a good estimate, so he recommended Lone Star Collision in Colleyville. I rarely do anything like this without doing some research beforehand, but I felt okay about this one.

So, I headed down there and dropped the car off, and the Enterprise people came by and picked me up.

They gave me a Chevy HHR as my rental. Oddly.... I actually like this thing. It drives nice, it doesn't feel way underpowered like I expected, and it handles fairly well. Unfortunately they're out of my price range or I'd actually consider it...especially since it can easily carry my RC planes (which I'm going to do in a few hours ).

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on what happens with the Miata. More than likely it'll be on the classifieds shortly after it gets out of the shop.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

*Another Update*

Just got the car home... they did an EXCELLENT job on it. The fender, hood, headlight lid, and bumper all look brand new with fresh paint and clearcoat. I'm very happy with the job they did... and it was completely painless (first time I've had to get a vehicle repaired through insurance, so no idea what it usually takes).

Might be a good time to sell the Miata now before somebody else hits it
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata