Thread: Where is the best place for Live music?

Default Where is the best place for Live music?

Scatt Jazz Lounge, in Fort Worth is my favorite.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

I went to the Gypsy Tea Room a few times before it closed, and really liked it. Wish it hadn't gone under. All the other shows I have been to since living here have been at large venues (AAC, Nokia, Superpages Center, Reunion Arena).

Used to be Tree's then Gypsy Tea Room after Tree's closed. The place for live music now days is the Granada Theater or House of Blues.

Quote Originally Posted by JDMClassic View Post
    Used to be Tree's then Gypsy Tea Room after Tree's closed. The place for live music now days is the Granada Theater or House of Blues.
    It seems that House of Blues is what killed Gypsy Tea Room. Gypsy closed right when House of Blues opened, and all of the acts that would play Gypsy moved to House of Blues. I suspect they saw the writing on the wall as soon as House of Blues started stealing away bookings for their opening.

Yup sad but true.. all the shows I've seen at the HOB were in the smaller venue rooms and were bands that I'd have seen in Deep Ellum back in day. Its really sad to see Deep Ellum become what it has.

Quote Originally Posted by JDMClassic View Post
    Yup sad but true.. all the shows I've seen at the HOB were in the smaller venue rooms and were bands that I'd have seen in Deep Ellum back in day. Its really sad to see Deep Ellum become what it has.
    As much as I don't like it, HOB found a good nitch to fill. Bands looking to do a small venue tour can sign one contract with HOB that covers many cities with consistency in equipment and amenities. They then just fill in the wholes with the Gypsy of each major city with no HOB. I am not sure why HardRock was never able to do this well.

I think the question is a little to open. depending on what music you want to hear, you will find great venues for Poor Davids pub all the way to Starplex.
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    I think the question is a little to open. depending on what music you want to hear, you will find great venues for Poor Davids pub all the way to Starplex.

I agree that it is a little open ended. I quess what is best for sound, ambeince, getting into the music, ect? Ridglea Theater also come to mind.

I remember the old Paladium (sp). I've never been to HOB.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

HOB is not bad if you get there early and go to the front or have a reserved seat upstairs.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Bavarian Grill? Roll out the Barrels, baby!

Man, do I know how to live or what?
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Back in the day it was Mother Blues, Faces, Electric Ballroom...and Will Rogers Coliseum.

For Blues J&J's Blues Bar in Ft Worth
    The best venue my band ever played was FireWater Bar and Grill in Dallas, it's shell of what it used to be now they run like 6 bands through in a night.
    But the sound, lighting, stage are the best in the area...or was.

Bakerstreet pub in Ft Worth was another fun place, kind of hidden away with lots and lots of hot chicks,...small and lively venue.

Anyhow there are a couple.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze View Post
    FireWater Bar and Grill in Dallas, it's shell of what it used to be now they run like 6 bands through in a night.But the sound, lighting, stage are the best in the area...or was.
    Funny, I'll be going to Firewater Sat night to see a buddy's band play. I had never heard of it before he told me.

yeah that place was the shiznit when we played there. The guy that owns New Orleans Nights in Ft Worth owned it them not sure if he still does but there was a ton of hot women there.
    Back then there was one band featured for the night playing a 4 hour show.
    We loved it, I remember it got real hot on the stage with those bright lights but we were really diggin it.
    They used to have national acts once a month too
    99 Miata Black

Blog Entries

Gruene Hall in Gruene, TX of course, is the only place I will drive to see live music. No A/C but huge windows and enthusiastic crowds. Best acoustics ever. I went to see Charlie and Bruce Robinson there last time and it was a fantastic show. I prefer singer/songwriters that are more substance than show. BTW Willie's Place is now open and will start booking shows this spring. Honky Tonk atmosphere.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Trees/Gypsy Tea Room is now Prophet Bar. Not in too bad of shape. Saw a friend's band play their the other night, sounded good once the sound guy got it right.

House of Blues Dallas was voted number one in some thing I read a couple months ago. Haven't been to the Dallas one; New Orleans was amazing.

I used to hate the Curtian Club, but the last few times I went it sounded great and they seem to have done some maintenance.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...