Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harris Hill Road, Sunday, April 5th

Driver

lol...seriously though, if anyone wants to meet up for a beer or lunch or whatever I'm relaxing in Austin all weekend and there's a Cajun food festival downtown this weekend too.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I had a great time. Sondra and the S2KCA (Austin Region) put on another great track day.

Thanks for the ride along Iain. I've never had a ride in a RX-8 and it was a fun one (holding on for all I was worth). Do you have ABS? Those R888's have a ton more grip than my Kuhmo's.

The only hickup I had was my cooling issue popped up around the end of the 2nd session (and only 2-3 non-babied laps in the 3rd session). Time for a new radiator and oil cooler before the MSR trackday.

On a better note, my new 1.8 sized brakes (with Carbotech XP8's in the front) worked great. I need more rear bias though. The Kumho XS's worked great after the warmup lap. There seemed to be a considerable increase in their grip after the first lap. That being said, I'm not sure how competive that would make them in an AutoX (although I haven't AutoX them yet). I ran 36 up front and 33 in the rear, worked pretty good so I kept them at that pressure the rest of the day.

Fun times.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

What an awesome weekend! Big kudos to Sondra, Stefan, Kurt, Jack, and the rest of the CenTex S2kCA gang for putting on a great event at Harris Hill Road yesterday.

Two random thoughts:

• I met black roadster's old cat Allie (sp?) Saturday night in downtown Austin. It really is a small world.
    • I think I have a new favorite track.

I had my fair share of drama this weekend, including a cracked rotor before I even made it out of DFW, a big off between 8 & 9 on Saturday afternoon that knocked a trailing spark plug wire off (but thankfully did no additional damage), and a student that had an off on Sunday morning that damaged two wheels, but I still had a great time this weekend. It was good to see Chris and Alan (apex2apex) from the board out at the track. I only wish I'd had more time to socialize, and a few more sessions to take people out.

Harris Hill Road is a 1.7 mile track located about 13 miles north of San Marcos. It's pretty technical and it's a momentum track. It is a great track for a Miata or an S2k or an RX-8 or any other torque-deficient car. It's a very fast, very fun, and very challenging track with several blind corners and some really fun elevation changes. I loved every minute down there, and I'm already looking forward to the next time!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

R888's any better????
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Where's the videos iain?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    R888's any better????
    Not really. They are definitely quicker than the RA1s, but I really don't like how they get greasy after 6 or 7 hard laps. That said, even when they get sloppy, I'm not seeing the lap times change drastically. I datalogged two sessions, and here are the lap numbers from fastest to slowest:

• Session 1: 4-8-5-7-6-3-2-1
    • Session 2: 2-5-7-4-1-6-3-8

Still, I pitted in before the end of every session because the tires were getting greasy and less predictable. I don't think I'll be buying another set.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    Where's the videos iain?
    My camera decided not to cooperate with the camera mount this weekend. No video, sorry.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I had a great time, S2KCA put on a great event! This is my first time running on Harris Hill Road, and it's a blast to drive on.

Sondra put me in the yellow group without an instructor on . But I got a ride in a Spec Miata after my first session, Ron (the spec miata driver instructor) really showed me the lines around the track.

I got faster through out the day and got down to a best of 1:35 according to the video. Looking back the video, I left quite a bit of time out there. It's definitely a momentum court, great for low power good handling cars.

Nice seeing you altiain, thanks for instructing my friend.

Miatamaniac92, sorry I missed you. There was quite a few of miatas on sat, does anyone know the driver of a siliver NA with rollbar and 6UL wheels? I followed him around 2 laps, I can share the video with him.

For those interested to see the track, here's my video in HD.

Alan
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

That was Nick, I emailed him a link to the page. So you were in a black RX8?

I'll post some pictures later this week.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by apex2apex View Post
    does anyone know the driver of a siliver NA with rollbar and 6UL wheels? I followed him around 2 laps, I can share the video with him.
    Alan
    If it was missing large chunks of paint (Flaky!) that would be me. I'd love to take a look at some video of my car.

Nice video apex2apex! Always fun to vex a Vette. That blind left hand looks like a thrill. What tires were you using?

Quote Originally Posted by mcfandango View Post
    If it was missing large chunks of paint (Flaky!) that would be me. I'd love to take a look at some video of my car.
    I will edit my video and send u a link later.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails
    Nice video apex2apex! Always fun to vex a Vette. That blind left hand looks like a thrill. What tires were you using?
    They are Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 in 245/40/17 size.
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

I have edited out video segments with miata in it. Looks like I have followed at least 2 miatas telling by the colors.

Various Miatas on HHR

Alan
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

I was pretty pissed off to go out there and just watch. I want to run sooooooooooooo bad, and to get some of that vette action.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    and I'm already looking forward to the next time!
    I'll go next time, and we need to eat at Black's BBQ so you we can all have something to live for.

Driver

Get an Evo and you can join us in May

Or I'm looking for a few qualified instructors :)

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    Get an Evo and you can join us in May

date? I may be able to make it. You need some miata action. I'm fairly certain I'll have enough car if I can figure out how to drive this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    Sean,

Sending you a PM about this. I think I've got some people lined up for you.
    Iain

Driver

Ya we're good on instruction now :)

This is specifically a Texas Evo track day, so if you're not in an Evo or you're not instructing, we're not looking to fill spaces right now. Once we get closer to the date, we might be though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12