Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: selling 1994 Miata possibly

Engine Builder

Default selling 1994 Miata possibly

I'm looking to move into a slightly bigger vehicle in the near future, so I'll need to sell my Miata. However, I'm a bit aghast at the discrepancy between what some place like Carmax will buy it for, and the different KBB guidelines (that don't seem to really be followed anyway).

The car is 1994, 76000 miles, completely stock except I've got some pretty good tires on it, I put a new soft top on it when I purchased it 1.5 years ago. The interior and exterior are in good condition (parking lot dings etc).

Carmax said it's worth $1200 (yea, right!)
    KBB says private sales price is $2950
    Searching cars.com it seems like it should be going for between $4000-6000.

Can anyone help me figure out what I could realistically expect to get for my Miata? I need to know because I'm trying to get an idea of what price range to start looking in for a new car.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

It will depend on a lot of things. Does it have the PEP package (power windows, Torsen rear-end, cruise, etc)? Does it have leather? What condition is the paint? What color is it? Any issues (mechanical or cosmetic)?

Depending on all those things I would guess it's worth $3000-$4000.

I would say around 3000-3500. No way you'll get 6. I think some way newer NB's are going in that range.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

We got $4000 for my wifes with a lot higher milage.

BUT! It had a lot of upgrades. A good mantenance history. All the normal wear parts had been replaced including the top as you have. And the paint, outside of the chips and a few small door dents, was in very good shape.

You need to give a lot more detail before the members here can help you with pricing.

Engine Builder

It is a base model, so no power. Aside from some small dents and dings from parking lots and hail, it is in very good condition. There are no problems with it. The engine is in great shape, it's red, and has had regular service. I can post some pics.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Pics are always helpful. From what you've posted, I'd say it's worth closer to $3K than $4K.

I would say, start at $5500 and be willing to negotiate. Start high, low miles helps. Have you done the timing belt? You never know what some are willing to pay. Good luck.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Sight unseen, I'd say the first number in the asking and final selling price should be a "3"....
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Engine Builder

Note to self: Detail car before taking pictures. You'll have to excuse the general dirt/mud/leaves from the past week's rain.

I had a belt wear out last summer and replaced it. I don't know if that was the timing belt or not.

Hmmm...now where to post some pics....
    Last edited by saffikeagan; 03-19-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Definately detail it before posting for sale pics.

Quote Originally Posted by saffikeagan View Post
    Note to self: Detail car before taking pictures. You'll have to excuse the general dirt/mud/leaves from the past week's rain.

I had a belt wear out last summer and replaced it. I don't know if that was the timing belt or not.

Hmmm...now where to post some pics....
    Did you have to take half the engine apart to replace it? If not then it was not the timing belt.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    We got $4000 for my wifes with a lot higher milage.

BUT! It had a lot of upgrades. A good mantenance history. All the normal wear parts had been replaced including the top as you have. And the paint, outside of the chips and a few small door dents, was in very good shape.

You need to give a lot more detail before the members here can help you with pricing.
    I have seen HudsonHawk's car and it does not show its age! I drove it this weekend, and it feels solid and still have sweet sound of the stock engine! With all the goodies on it, I think I will pick HudsonHawk's car over this one if they are the same price.

This car is a base model with no goodies and has some rough edges, I think 3 to 3.5K is the ball park.
    Gabriel

Default I'll give ya two-fiddy...

After looking at those pictures, and without knowing about the condition of the "working parts" or the options on the car, I'd definitely agree that $3,000 to $3,500 would be all you could expect. You absolutely want to detail that car before trying to sell it. Maybe even pay someone to detail it professionally. Not trying to be mean, but those pictures definitely are "bringing out the best" in your car...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

HAving seen it now, I stand by my original quote...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Engine Builder

Yea, the car is not showing in it's best light right now. I got a dog 5 months ago and he's in my car at least 4-5 times a week. I think the car has more dirt in it than the dog park does.

Engine Builder

Tkx.

I was expecting a garage queen with the miles. I'll join everyone else now $3***
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

The first thing I would do if I were selling that car would be to find some cheap, used stock daisy alloys and put them on the car. A small investment that you should at least break even on. However, I think the response you'd get in terms of people interested in the car would be much higher. Those steelies aren't doing you any favors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast