Thread: Chemical Lawn Sevice recommendations

Default Chemical Lawn Sevice recommendations

I'm tired of fighting the weeds, crabgrass, etc and want to hire a company to get my lawn to just be green grass.

Any recommendations?

Chemlawn, etc...

Ideally I'd find a service that can do it all including mowing, trimming and weed control. Does this exist?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

My experience with the big name companies is not good. They talk a good game but cheat you by not providing the service they bill you for. I currently use a young man that has his own lawn service company. This has been much better and you know specifically who to complain to if you have a problem.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Quote Originally Posted by bnordin View Post
    My experience with the big name companies is not good. They talk a good game but cheat you by not providing the service they bill you for. I currently use a young man that has his own lawn service company. This has been much better and you know specifically who to complain to if you have a problem.

I'm trying Scotts out. I hope the walk the walk they talk.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

We've had Scott's for the last couple of years. They've been good, but not fantastic.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Aren't you renting? I wouldn't want to put my money into someone else's lawn. Just mow and water. Good luck with Scott's.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Never had good luck with those services. Their fertilizers never really did anything. I just got a spreader and some fertilizer and got much better results. Just follow the directions properly.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I use TrueGreen/Chemlawn. It took a good year of treatment for the lawn to look perfect. I supplimented their regimen with spot weed killer (the kind that doesn't kill grass) and that helped. I had a LOT of weeds in the back yard.

I've got no complaints with TrueGreen. They seem to know their stuff. They will occasionally try to upsell you but I just stick to the basic seasonal treatments and it's worked out fine.

My dad uses Scott's and has no complaints either.

If I were to do it all over again I'd go to one of my neighbors whose lawns looked really good and ask them who they use. You'd be pretty much guaranteed your yard would look just like theirs with the same treatments since the soil makeup, etc, would be pretty much identical.

We use a separate local lawn service for mowing, bed clean-up, etc. Some of these guys will do treatments as well. But for some reason I just feel more comfortable with the big, established companies for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Never had good luck with those services. Their fertilizers never really did anything. I just got a spreader and some fertilizer and got much better results. Just follow the directions properly.

+1 I have fired 5-6 of these lawn service companies. One of them made a giant "Z" in the grass with their fertilizer.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    +1 I have fired 5-6 of these lawn service companies. One of them made a giant "Z" in the grass with their fertilizer.
    Wasn't Zorro's Landscaping, was it?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

+1 and don't forget what Neal Sperry says...Fertilize or weed kill. Don't try to do both at the same time.

+2! Don't waste your $$$ on lawn service. Just spend a little and get the Scott slow release fertilizer. If you have a lot of crabgrass and other misc. weeds and your lawn is bermuda, I highly recommend you use the MSMA crabgrass killer. Wait till the lawn is established and in the 80's all the time. Apply it once or twice, it will kill all your weed. Your bermuda will turn yellow, but will bounce back in week or so. The name of the game is regular watering and mowing. If you don't like watering and mowing, you than better off find a full service lawn care service to do the whole thing for you and not just fertilize/weed control.
    Gabriel