Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Look what came in the mail!

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post
    I'll have my usual shop in Arlington take care of the head. I'm planning to have John Day & friends take care of the bottom end.
    Went with the Adaptronic because it's feature-laden, at a very reasonable price point (just a touch more than the MSPnP due to a group buy discount), and is capable of all I need now...and all I'll need later, even if I end up using a 1.8 with VVT.

At the moment, I'm looking at a GT28RS with the smaller .64 turbine. With a tubular manifold and 3" exhaust, it should scoot pretty nicely and have very reasonable street manners.
    cool cool.

You should go for a ride in my car before you pick that turbo. However, ride after I spend a little more time on the dyno to clean up the <4000rpm stuff. I'll be in Dallas this weekend if you want to come by and instal/swap parts while I drink beer and provide direction.

...and as mr.brg kinda anticipated, James did make some effort to have me keep the stock compression pistons.
    I was trying to get him to stock 9.0:1 a long time ago when I was worried about the low-comp being sluggish and he convinced me to keep them, lol.

As for your first track event in a dirty, big power miata...it should be enough power to kill you, quickly. Sounds like fun to me. lol
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Your mom got curtains for the dog kennel?
    That was a creative quote edit there buddy.
    John O.
    94R

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I was trying to get him to stock 9.0:1 a long time ago when I was worried about the low-comp being sluggish and he convinced me to keep them, lol.
    You want sluggish? My old BMW had friggin' 7.0:1 pistons, 7 psi of boost, and 2.90 gears from the factory...

And yet, somehow, once it got wound up, it would run a hole in the wind... (sorry... off-topic)
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I'll have my usual shop in Arlington take care of the head.
    Which is?

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Which is?
    hopefully automotive machine does a better job on your head than they did on "1badmx5's" block, lol.

Now, if you're using Endyne, then I applaud you. I can't afford work like that.

Which is?
    I'm guessing Automotive Machine in Arlington... they refreshed my '99 head and they've done a quite a bit of work for a friend of mine. No complaints so far.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Which is?
    The same shop both mr brg and ricardo mentioned. The guy who does their port work did a pretty darn decent job for my old V6. As Rick mentioned, there's a guy we know who has to've put at least six or seven complete engines through there for various jobs/cars with zero issues. I trust 'em and the prices are reasonable.

Never checked into Endyne. Judging by the pricing comment, I'll just steer clear regardless of quality.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

FWIW, Endyne's prices weren't that much higher than pricing I was quoted at another machine shop, for my F20 head. It's the custom work that Endyne does that costs a lot...
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot View Post
    FWIW, Endyne's prices weren't that much higher than pricing I was quoted at another machine shop, for my F20 head. It's the custom work that Endyne does that costs a lot...
    If I had a honda, they'd have my money. I've ridden in larry's civic and its life changing.

Automotive machine did a good job on VW VR6 motors.

If I had a honda, they'd have my money. I've ridden in larry's civic and its life changing.

Automotive machine did a good job on VW VR6 motors.
    All sorts of lulz can be had with that sentence
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

I've been out of town the past couple of weeks, but it appears the postal service doesn't pander to my schedule. Here are a couple of the goodies that have shown up...

Also hanging around are an Adaptronic EMU and a 190HP fuel pump...among other things.
    This is gonna be slow, so don't worry about checking back for updates anytime real soon.
    What are those thingies?
    *reaches waaaaaay back beyond the Rotary portion of teh brain*
    Oh, that's right. Pistons. I forgot all about those things. How do they work? lololol
    85 Rx-7 GSL-destroyed by a Durango
    04 MSM-mostly stock
    85 Rx-7 GSL(SE'd)-High compression half-bridged 13B, 650 holley. Now with MORE BRIDGEPORT.
    1979 Spark Yellow SA Rx7 - Restoring to it's former glory 1/36th of a paycheck at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by JuanoTejano View Post
    That was a creative quote edit there buddy.
    Would you say it was tricky?

I crack myself up...too bad i'm always the only one laughing. :/
    04 MSM-mostly stock
    85 Rx-7 GSL(SE'd)-High compression half-bridged 13B, 650 holley. Now with MORE BRIDGEPORT.
    1979 Spark Yellow SA Rx7 - Restoring to it's former glory 1/36th of a paycheck at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by duffman692002 View Post
    What are those thingies?
    *reaches waaaaaay back beyond the Rotary portion of teh brain*
    Oh, that's right. Pistons. I forgot all about those things. How do they work? lololol
    The pistons, they go "boing, boing, boing"... remember?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    The pistons, they go "boing, boing, boing"... remember?
    Ah, that's right but the Mazda goes hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHzeGEHWMjo

04 MSM-mostly stock

Looks like the chick in the ad was about to give the driver a "hmmmmmmmmmmm-r" before they stopped and she stole his car.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Well, I said I'd be slow to update this...and far be it from me to not deliver on that promise.

Here are some pieces that showed up last week:

We've got a worked cylinder head w/ oversized intake valves, as well as some (used) FM cam gears. I'll get the head to the machine shop for cleaning, check-up & flow numbers at the end of the month.

I should have new oil & water pumps in the next couple of weeks.
    Getting closer!
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Sweet! You taking the head over to Eddie?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

have fun adjusting cam time with a cam angle sensor, instead of a crank sensor. Don't wear out your timing light.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

sorry i haven't trolled this post yet

What really came in the mail

Chassis Designer

If I had a honda, they'd have my money. I've been ridden in larry's civic and its life changing.
    *ahem*

Sorry, couldn't resist!

That old ad is awesome btw. She did look like she was about to try out some sorta piston action or something...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast