Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Question about Classing

BenCronin04

Default Quick Question about Classing

Right now I'm in ST. My car is pretty stock except for coilovers which puts me in ST. If I start running slicks where would I be thrown into?? Thanks!

Driver

Your rear a-arms look modified too, what's going on there?

Start here: http://scca.org/contentpage.aspx?content=61

BenCronin04

Thanks. Yeah I also have spc lca's, but they are the same as oem just polished. But I don't even have sway bars. My model didn't come with any.

Do you want to run slicks, or do you want to run R compound tires? There's a difference.

True racing slicks are only legal in Prepared and Modified classes.

R compound tires are actually DOT street legal tires (unlike true racing slicks), but they are intended for competition use only. These tires are legal in Stock, Street Prepared, and Street Modified.

A couple of things worth mentioning. R comps are expensive, and they don’t last long, especially on heavier, camber-limited FWD cars. Maybe 60-80 runs for Kumho V710s, 20-50 runs for Hoosier A6s.

I would strongly encourage you to spend a year or two learning how to drive on good street tires before making the switch to R compounds. Street tires have lower overall cornering limits and more predictable breakaway characteristics, both of which make it easier to learn how to drive the car to the limits of the tire. More importantly, novices (especially in open-diff FWD cars) tend to overdrive the car, and R compounds are very intolerant of overdriving. Overdriving R compounds can kill tires very, very quickly.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

BenCronin04

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Do you want to run slicks, or do you want to run R compound tires? There's a difference.

True racing slicks are only legal in Prepared and Modified classes.

R compound tires are actually DOT street legal tires (unlike true racing slicks), but they are intended for competition use only. These tires are legal in Stock, Street Prepared, and Street Modified.

A couple of things worth mentioning. R comps are expensive, and they don’t last long, especially on heavier, camber-limited FWD cars. Maybe 60-80 runs for Kumho V710s, 20-50 runs for Hoosier A6s.

I would strongly encourage you to spend a year or two learning how to drive on good street tires before making the switch to R compounds. Street tires have lower overall cornering limits and more predictable breakaway characteristics, both of which make it easier to learn how to drive the car to the limits of the tire. More importantly, novices (especially in open-diff FWD cars) tend to overdrive the car, and R compounds are very intolerant of overdriving. Overdriving R compounds can kill tires very, very quickly.
    Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. Yeah I ment R compound, didn't mean to put slicks. I work part time for discount tire so yes even though they are expensive, I still will get a little discount. Plus I'm doing a engine swap and turbo so I'll be having to run in SM anways

Driver

I'll add to what altain said since I have been on crappy r-comps this year and I was on street tires this weekend for both events.

R-comps mask your faults. I thought I was getting better, but I think that I was ingraining bad habits and when you're on rcomps, even crappy ones, you can get away with a lot more than you can when you're on street tires.

One of my great decisions in life was to run on street tires for my first two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by BenCronin04 View Post
    Thanks. Yeah I also have spc lca's, but they are the same as oem just polished. But I don't even have sway bars. My model didn't come with any.
    All Miatas came with sway bars................
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

BenCronin04

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    I don't have a miata.

BenCronin04

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    I'll add to what altain said since I have been on crappy r-comps this year and I was on street tires this weekend for both events.

R-comps mask your faults. I thought I was getting better, but I think that I was ingraining bad habits and when you're on rcomps, even crappy ones, you can get away with a lot more than you can when you're on street tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    One of my great decisions in life was to run on street tires for my first two seasons.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably pick up another set of Falkens's for autocross, but in July I'll be running an event with Time Attack in Nashville and since I'll be in SM, I want to be running the best stickiest tire possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    but not all sway bars came with miatas.......

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    but not all sway bars came with miatas.......
    That is deep!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    That is deep!
    hmmmmmmmm...I find it shallow and pendantic.

I have a quick class question as well.

I initially thought I should be in STS, all I have is springs and an intake but that pushes me beyond stock. I was informed though that my flushmount head lights are considered a weight reduction and would push me into CSP. If I were to add balast to the nose that was equal to the weight of the headlights would that allow me to run STS?

I don't want to swap the headlights back to stock just to run STS. But I don't think I'll be able to be very competitve at all in CSP with what I have installed now or intend to install over the next year or so.

Any advice or tips? Or am I limited to just running CSP unless I swap them back?

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably pick up another set of Falkens's for autocross, but in July I'll be running an event with Time Attack in Nashville and since I'll be in SM, I want to be running the best stickiest tire possible.
    Here's another quick lesson on R compounds - not all R compounds are created equal.

Kumho V710s and Hoosier A6s are designed primarily for autocross use. They can be used on the track, but they will wear very quickly and they tend to overheat quickly. A lot of road racers use these tires for qualifying or in colder temperatures, but you can chew up a set in one run session in hot weather, especially (note the common theme here) on a heavier fwd car.

Toyo R888s and RA-1s, Hoosier R6s, Nitto NT-01s, Kumho Victoracers, BFG R1s, Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, and Pirelli P Zero Corsas are all track-biased R compounds. These tires all have their own strengths and weaknesses, but they share a few common traits - they tend to be a little less grippy than dedicated autocross compounds, but they are more resistant to heat buildup as well, so they won't overheat as quickly on the track. Unfortunately, this also typically means that they need a lap or two to "come up to temperature" and deliver full grip, which makes them suboptimal for autocross use.

Unfortunately, competition tires have become so specialized that there really isn't one tire that can exceed in both track and autocross. Don't even get me started on rain tires.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by mk_slayr View Post
    I have a quick class question as well.

I initially thought I should be in STS, all I have is springs and an intake but that pushes me beyond stock. I was informed though that my flushmount head lights are considered a weight reduction and would push me into CSP. If I were to add balast to the nose that was equal to the weight of the headlights would that allow me to run STS?

I don't want to swap the headlights back to stock just to run STS. But I don't think I'll be able to be very competitve at all in CSP with what I have installed now or intend to install over the next year or so.

Any advice or tips? Or am I limited to just running CSP unless I swap them back?
    Actually, swapping the headlights isn't even legal in CSP, AFAIK. I think it would push you up into SM2 or one of the Prepared classes.

Here's what I would suggest - talk to your fellow STS competitors (most of the locals are already on this board) and ask them if they mind if you run with the headlights. For local events, I doubt any of them will care.

If you intend to go to higher level events like a Divisional or National Tour, you will need to put the stock lights back in or run in the proper class.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Here's what I would suggest - talk to your fellow STS competitors (most of the locals are already on this board) and ask them if they mind if you run with the headlights. For local events, I doubt any of them will care.
    I would not care, but that jerk Miatamoto might.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I would not care, but that jerk Miatamoto might.
    He is such a meanie......

See you in Nashville.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

BenCronin04

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    See you in Nashville.
    You'll be at IA?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast