Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pick a car, any car

Default Pick a car, any car

Same price which do you choose for a daily with all factors taken into account (fun, maintenance, gas mileage, insurance)?

BMW 330i with ZHP performance package and AA supercharger, 330 hp
    E46 M3
    06 STi
    00-02 BMW M5
    V8 Audi S4
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I think I'd pick the STi.

Ze Germans, zey make nice cars, but zey are not zo good to maintain...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

M3.

Driver

Those can all be pretty pricey to maintain IMO.

The M3 and M5 both have expensive Service II's. Make friends with a BMW tech The M5 is old enough that it won't have or be able to have without spending a lot of money aftermarket a lot of the "cool" things that we take for granted now (satellite radio, bluetooth, nav, etc.)

The S4 is pretty thirsty. Like 14mpg thirsty. Right now, not a big deal, but when gas hits $4/gal for premium again...

The ZHP is a nice car (although I'm not a fan of the alcantara), but once you put the blower on there you really start to make compromises regarding the longevity of the car.

The 06 STi will beat you up as a daily driver. The creature comforts in it aren't anywhere near as good as any of the other cars on your list.

Insurance on the 330i will likely be the cheapest (esp. if you don't tell them about the blower). The older M5 might be decently cheap to insure too.

If it was me, I'm partial to a E46 M3 convertible non SMG. Or an E46 M3 CSL (no cruise control on this one though).

07 335i's are starting to get into this price range too. Make sure you get one with the oil cooler (mid 07 addition or warranty addition as well). Spend < $1k on mods (chip mostly) and you've got a VERY fast vehicle that's very comfortable. Likely still under the "free" maintenance and warranty too.

It doesn't ever snow, so reliability and cost of ownership would be the major factors in the STI's favor.

The M5 just makes me weak in the knees.

I would narrow it down to the STI and M5 (only if it was a stick). Then I'd test drive em both and make a decision.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

E46 M3 plus an extended warranty plan.

Have you looked at an Evo X? You can get them brand new for well under $30k, and they're very impressive cars. More "grown up" than an '06 STi, but very capable and fun to drive.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

M3
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

M3.
    Make me an offer.
    J/K

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    M3.
    Make me an offer.
    J/K
    Have you had this one forever, yet?

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    Have you had this one forever, yet?
    Nope, need another week.

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    E46 M3 plus an extended warranty plan.

Have you looked at an Evo X? You can get them brand new for well under $30k, and they're very impressive cars. More "grown up" than an '06 STi, but very capable and fun to drive.
    Look it wasn't me that brought this up

If this is strictly for the street, a used 335i would be WAY more comfortable (front seats at least, rear is more comfortable in the Evo) and the trunk is about twice the size in the 335i than the Evo (two sets of clubs are tight in the evo's trunk).

Then again, it's been so long, I don't really remember what a stock Evo drives like any more.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    Those can all be pretty pricey to maintain IMO.

My commute is only 6 miles a day round trip (including going home for lunch). I probably only drive 8,000 miles a year max so MPG and maintenance isn't too bad of a concern on any of these. I currently only fill up the 10 gallon tank in the S2000 about once every 1.5-2 weeks. Also I had no issues daily driving the Miata or currently the S2000 they're both more than comfortable and roomy enough.

The M3 and M5 both have expensive Service II's. Make friends with a BMW tech The M5 is old enough that it won't have or be able to have without spending a lot of money aftermarket a lot of the "cool" things that we take for granted now (satellite radio, bluetooth, nav, etc.)

The S4 is pretty thirsty. Like 14mpg thirsty. Right now, not a big deal, but when gas hits $4/gal for premium again...

The ZHP is a nice car (although I'm not a fan of the alcantara), but once you put the blower on there you really start to make compromises regarding the longevity of the car.

The 06 STi will beat you up as a daily driver. The creature comforts in it aren't anywhere near as good as any of the other cars on your list.

Insurance on the 330i will likely be the cheapest (esp. if you don't tell them about the blower). The older M5 might be decently cheap to insure too.

If it was me, I'm partial to a E46 M3 convertible non SMG. Or an E46 M3 CSL (no cruise control on this one though).

07 335i's are starting to get into this price range too. Make sure you get one with the oil cooler (mid 07 addition or warranty addition as well). Spend < $1k on mods (chip mostly) and you've got a VERY fast vehicle that's very comfortable. Likely still under the "free" maintenance and warranty too.
    I can do most the inspection 2 stuff myself, it's just basic maintenance. The rest can be handled by a good independent shop at a reasonable rate. I've never driven the M5 or Sti but I really liked a 330i sedan I drove, I personally love the alcantara.

M3 is really nice, I was highly impressed with Ken's. You can't get a CSL here in the US, closest thing is competition package. N54 motor in the 335 is appealing but too common and a SMU chick car, plus 400 wtq with no LSD is not appealing.

Evo X is too out of the price range (mid to high 20's) and also I hate the way it looks (no offense, just preference). I'm sure the performance is awesome and I did like the interior but it's just not for me.

Right now I'm thinking E46 M3 followed by 330 zhp with a 6 psi kit (which should be plenty reliable). Need to drive an M5 but most are too old and not sure if I will like the Sti at all plus would hate to get pulled over by the cops every 5 mins
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 05-20-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Driver

I'd love to have an older M5. They are IMO, the last of the classic BMWs (E46's being the LAST of the classic BMW).

Something like this:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=366471

ETA: FWIW, the Evo X is now < $30k for a base model. It was down to $27k last month, but higher now :-/. And I agree the looks aren't for everyone.

The e39 M5 is a tank. It will run forever. Like the older 7's. The clutch is a bit heavy and it handles like a 4000lb car. I put 115K miles on an e39 and only had to spend $1,500 in non-BMW covered work. And you can fit 4 sets of clubs in the boot.

None of the above.

I need some other choices.

For long trips, I would choose a Lincoln Towncar.
    For an all around sports car, I have what I want, A Mazdaspeed Miata.
    For when the price of gas shoots back past $4.00/gallon, ugly no longer matters. I would prefer a Hybrid, hopefully this one at 100 miles per gallon.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    I'd love to have an older M5. They are IMO, the last of the classic BMWs (E46's being the LAST of the classic BMW).

Something like this:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=366471

ETA: FWIW, the Evo X is now < $30k for a base model. It was down to $27k last month, but higher now :-/. And I agree the looks aren't for everyone.
    Ooohh that's a nice M5, reasonable price too for the mileage. Thanks for the link.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    None of the above.

I need some other choices.

For long trips, I would choose a Lincoln Towncar.
    For an all around sports car, I have what I want, A Mazdaspeed Miata.
    For when the price of gas shoots back past $4.00/gallon, ugly no longer matters. I would prefer a Hybrid, hopefully this one at 100 miles per gallon.

My Dodge ram does just fine for long trips (~24MPG in most cases)
    The Jeep takes me where the Ram can't.
    The Solara is a good all around touring car.

I just don't think I need anything else. I rarely drove the Miata even close to its limits so I don't need a sports car.

Maybe Cosmos should just get a Solara?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

M3
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Maybe Cosmos should just get a Solara?
    I'd rather ride a bicycle
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast