Thread: Cooling system failures...

Angry Cooling system failures...

I'm pretty new here, but I've had my '94 for about 6 years now.

I've replaced every hose...radiator hoses, heater hoses, those 5/16" hoses that run to the throttle body, to just behind the oil filter, and from just behind the oil filter to the back of the engine (didn't really know that one is there until I saw a picture of it the day I was taking the intake manifold off to find the leak underneath). I did the EZ one on the other side going from the thermostat housing to down by the water pump too. I even replaced the freeze plugs on the exhaust manifold side of the block, because one of them sprung a leak. Every time I fixed one leak, another surfaced after that. I knew this was coming, because no matter what I do, the coolant always looks like corrosion soup and I would not be surprised if some of those 5/16" guys were original equipment. Anyway, got them all done and things seemed much better until today when I pulled in the garage to the sweet smell of antifreeze. This time coming from one of the seams where the plastic part of the radiator was put together.

Sorry for the long story, but I feel better.

Here's my two questions...any help would be appreciated:

I would love to hear any ideas on how to stop the corrosion in the cooling system. I used distilled water, Prestone antifreeze and Water Wetter this time and it looks pretty good (especially on the floor of the garage), but it's only a couple of weeks old. Any good ideas?

The other question: I want to get a radiator that is total overkill. I'm running stock just about everything on this '94 1.8L. I saw one on fleaBay that includes the fans that just may do the trick, but the fans I have are currently working OK. I could get one just like this and still use my old fans for less $$$. What do you think?

Thanks for putting up with my version of War & Peace!

Wade
    Last edited by NMMX5; 05-27-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Have you ever replaced the radiator itself? OEM works fine on a stock engine.

Replacing the radiator is my next step. I got the itch to go overboard 'cause I can't bear to see that temp gauge go shooting over to the right again. I'm always afraid it's going to be the last time my old girl can take something like that!

A stock radiator would probably be fine...this one made it a long time.

In the 2.5 years and 40K miles I've had my car, I've had no problems whatsoever with my OEM cooling system (knock on wood) - even in the dead of summer, stuck in traffic, with the A/C on. The temp needle never gets past halfway. Check the top of your radiator... if the plastic tank is a nice, dark grey, it's probably good to go. If it's turning kind of a pukey green, it could let go any time. Unless you're going to forced induction, an OEM replacement is probably fine if yours bites the dust.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Two things, from my understanding water wetter is a bad idea in a street car. It is designed for race cars that get rebuilt often. If you run a smaller percentage antifreeze the car will run cooler in the summer. Also could the corrosion in the antifreeze actually be oil? I dont want to send you on a wild goose chase, but if your head gasket is leaking, the oil and coolant could be mixing, making your coolant nasty looking.

Wonder if the Water Wetter caused the gooo I had a '74 454 Corvette that I tried water wetter on it didn't like it. Got what looked like little dirty little balls of marshmallow goo in the coolant system. We checked everything and after all new hoses and a radiator and heater core the marshmellow goo stuff never reapeared. (Had the car about 5 more years after changing everthing out) So it was nothing a thousand dollars couldn't fix.....

Suprisingly I haven't used the stuff since.

I also agree with the cool kids on a stock Miata the stock radiator does a fine job.

I also use the 50/50 premix stuff since I am lazy and drain the radiator twice a year, but I am a bit over the top on maintance.

YMMV see dealer for details.

Waterwetter is bad if it is over used. The instructions say one ounce per liter or gallon IIRC.

An entire bottle is overkill.

If you plan on FI in the future and want a nice shiny aluminum radiator under $200:
    http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t13882/

I just picked up one a couple weeks ago.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I also use the 50/50 premix stuff since I am lazy and drain the radiator twice a year, but I am a bit over the top on maintance.
    Isn't buying premix against TCB bylaws?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Make sure to flush it really good when you get the new radiator, it took three or four rinsing/flushes to clean mine out when I put in a new motor that had been sitting for a few years.

Get an automatic radiator and you should be fine, if not get the PWR Trackdogracing sells.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Dunno about the 94... the 93 had a little pipe sticking out of the back of the head area and had a rubber cap over it with a hose clamp. If it rots (which it will) it will start leaking there and is a bitch to find.

If your 94 has it, replace it.

Also, if you get one of the cheap automatic radiators then save the mounts from the side of the stock radiator. You'll need those if you ever put an OEM type or an aftermarket aluminum type back in... or you can sell them to someone that needs them.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!