Thread: Work Rant

Default Work Rant

[rant on]... I am so pissed off at the previous network guys. A couple of weeks ago we had a supervisor engine fail in one of our core switches. I go to look at all of our spares and every one of them is jacked up and unusable. We had to order a replacement.

Today I pull our spare core router to test some configuration changes. The damn thing won't boot to the IOS. It crashes out to rommon. I can manually load the IOS after that but can't make it load automatically.

I inherited the network about 3 months ago when the network guy was let go. Just once I would like to find a spare piece of networking equipment that is actually functional in this compnay without 8 hours worth of work. These problems stretch back to the previous network guy who did shit half assed and the last guy did not clean up any of those issues. He just made more.[/rant off]

Thanks for listening.

Driver

I hate it when that happens.

The worst part of my job is the guys from other floors interloping on my floors bathrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    I hate it when that happens.

The worst part of my job is the guys from other floors interloping on my floors bathrooms.
    I interlope in my building, the 5th floor has a roof exit in the master stall.
    The 2nd floor stall has twice the square footage.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Talking

Let me put on my managers hat.

So you have had at least 3 months to check this stuff out and you haven't???

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Be glad you have work to rant about.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Let me put on my managers hat.

So you have had at least 3 months to check this stuff out and you haven't???

Yeah, I have been too busy doing 2 other jobs to find out what was broken in his area.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Be glad you have work to rant about.
    Don't get me wrong. I love my Job. I just don't like having to clean up after people who are too lazy to do the job right the first time.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I love my Job. I just don't like having to clean up after people who are too lazy to do the job right the first time.
    One of my bosses once told me, "If it was easy, anybody could do it". That has stuck with me for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    I just don't like having to clean up after people who are too lazy to do the job right the first time.
    This is essentially my beef with humanity in general. It's not just at my job. It seems nobody gives much a damn about the quality of their work.

Don't get me wrong, I am a lazy bastard. I hate work. That's why I do my damndest to get things right the first time. It ends up being less work than fixing half-assery in the long run.
    Oh, well I've got two sevens, and two sevens beats a frush.

Half-assery, I think I will adopt that as part of my vocabulary.

Half-asssery, like waiting here all day for my AT&T tech to install the U-verse and VOIP service between 12 and 2. I even got an automated confirmation phone call yesterday. And today's appointment was after they called and cancelled the original install date from last Friday cause they hadn't set up the phone # transfers yet.

Input error, blah blah blah...best they can do now is July 7th, between 12 and 2. Almost a full month after the original order was placed.

Yep, half-assery is my new word.

UGGGGG, it took me less then 15 minutes to correct the problem by erasing the flash and reloading the IOS. Why couldn't they do that?

Because they lack your Cisco Ninja Skills (TM)

Did you talk to your Cisco account manager or SE to see if they had a sup module they could loan? Also, if you are in a time crunch your reseller can see if Ingram Micro or Tech Data has one in their local warehouse for pickup at the Will Call window.

Hopefully you have SmartNet on those sup modules. If so, just call TAC and open a case to RMA them.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

They are not on smart net and my boss is a cheap skate and won't put them on it. He thinks it cheaper to buy the used parts if something breaks and keep spares lying around. I have told him its a gamble but that is the way he wants to fly.

I am hoping I can conveince him to upgrade to the Nexus 7000s. But will have to get the company to spend the $$$.

Nice of him to bet the business and his career on some used equipment.

It'll be fun when you guys get something that fails under high load conditions.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    I interlope in my building, the 5th floor has a roof exit in the master stall.
    The 2nd floor stall has twice the square footage.
    I get there early enough for blue water.

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    Nice of him to bet the business and his career on some used equipment.

It'll be fun when you guys get something that fails under high load conditions.
    The Sup engine in our other core switch is throwing occasional IP errors. I will replace it in about 2 weeks after I get some redundency issues straightened out on a couple of servers.

One of my bosses once told me, "If it was easy, anybody could do it". That has stuck with me for a long time.
    I used to have one of those "motivational" posters in my office. It was a picture of a fishing boat going up an impossibly huge wave (think Perfect Storm..) the caption was...

"Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm".

Still sticks in my mind, and it's my internal mantra when work starts to get to me. Wish I could find that poster again, but was told it was discontinued.

SA

Nice. I like, "Why do you think it's called WORK?"

What he meant was :"If it was easy, a manager could do it"