Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Driver's Edge at Motorsport Ranch February 5 & 6

The light at the end of the tunnel: The sun came out at lunch, and this along with some wind did a great job of drying things out. My afternoon runs went great. It actually seems as if the track was stickier this afternoon then it was on Saturday. I kept the car on the track all day, and I consider that a step in the right direction. I still have a bunch to work on, but I know that I am a better driver than I was 2 days ago. I can’t wait to go again.

Misc. ramblings: I can’t say enough about all of the great people that work the track. They were standing out there all day in the wind and rain so that we would be safe. Wow. Rick put on a great event, and I plan on doing it again and again and again.

I had the opportunity to spend lunch sitting with the owner of the track, along with a couple of serious racers. He was telling us all about the new track. Here are the details.
    Ground breaking: about 6-8 weeks
    Size: 1.5 miles (current track is 1.7)
    Turn #: 6 (Current track has 11)
    Turn types: 5 flat, one HUGE on-cambered bank
    Elevation changes: 70 feet (Current track has 40 feet)
    Other: The track will be between turn 1 and the highway. The 2 tracks will be able to run both ways, and can also be combined with the existing track to form a 3.2 mile course. This combined course will also be able to be run both ways, giving a total of 6 courses that can be run.

Sounds like fun overall.

Titus, if you're interested in getting some more seat time and improving your car control, sign up for the S2k autox two weeks from now. We have instructors available.

Yeah, you won't get as much seat time as you'll get at a track day, but you won't get grass in your helmet if you goof it up, either.

Seriously, they're a great learning environment, and inexpensive to boot.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Sounds like fun overall.

Titus, if you're interested in getting some more seat time and improving your car control, sign up for the S2k autox two weeks from now. We have instructors available.
    This is in Mineral Wells, right? Looking at a map, it looks like this could be almost a 2-hour drive each way. I have to admit that I am not thrilled about the idea of getting up at 5 on a Saturday morning. It looks like there are some events much closer to me, at Pennington Field. Are the Mineral Wells events really that much better? At this point, I think I need some convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    It sounds like you had an absolute blast!! Very nice!
    Yes! Did I mention that I am REALLY SORE?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Sounds like fun overall.

This is in Mineral Wells, right? Looking at a map, it looks like this could be almost a 2-hour drive each way. I have to admit that I am not thrilled about the idea of getting up at 5 on a Saturday morning. It looks like there are some events much closer to me, at Pennington Field. Are the Mineral Wells events really that much better? At this point, I think I need some convincing.
    What?! Being the lazy SOB that I am, I get up and do the drive to MW - from southern Oklahoma!!! Yes, it's worth it... S2k puts on some of the better autox in town!

Do it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Sounds like fun overall.

What?! Being the lazy SOB that I am, I get up and do the drive to MW - from southern Oklahoma!!! Yes, it's worth it... S2k puts on some of the better autox in town!

Do it!!
    Well If I do it, I may need you to drive past my house on your way out and lay on the horn. Or was that removed in the quest for lightness?

This is in Mineral Wells, right?
    Yep.

Looking at a map, it looks like this could be almost a 2-hour drive each way.
    Could be. It takes me about 50-55 minutes form North Richland Hills.

I have to admit that I am not thrilled about the idea of getting up at 5 on a Saturday morning.
    Why get up at 5am? The driver's meeting isn't until 9:30am, and pre-registration is required, so there isn't usually a line at registration. If you don't have tires to swap event-side, you could conceivably leave your place around 7am and still get there in plenty of time... which is later than I'll be leaving my house (tires to swap and Tech to help with ).

It looks like there are some events much closer to me, at Pennington Field. Are the Mineral Wells events really that much better? At this point, I think I need some convincing.
    Lessee... Pennington Field averages 150-200+ entrants, and a 30-50 second course. Mineral Wells S2k events are capped at 55 entrants, average over 90 seoonds in length (i.e., each lap is as long as a lap at the Ranch), you get more of them, and the speeds are higher. Did I mention Pennington Field is the size of a postage stamp?

There are a lot of your fellow Southern Oklahoma Miata pilots coming to this event, if that tells you anything. Heck, Ann and Andy Hollis are driving up from Austin, and one of the Miatas looks suspiciously like a guy that I think is from Houston. They wouldn't be driving this far if they thought it sucked.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Why get up at 5am? The driver's meeting isn't until 9:30am, and pre-registration is required, so there isn't usually a line at registration. If you don't have tires to swap event-side, you could conceivably leave your place around 7am and still get there in plenty of time... which is later than I'll be leaving my house (tires to swap and Tech to help with ).
    Well that makes it a little easier to swallow. I was going by the calendar that says 7:30am-5pm.

Is the instruction available at all of the events, or do I need to get out to the first event to get it?

Instruction is available at all events. C'mon out, Titus! You got something better to do that Saturday? :P
    Iain

You got something better to do that Saturday? :P
    Well I do have a wife and daughter that I love spending time with too. I REALLY wish it was close, so they could come hang out for a couple hours.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Well I do have a wife and daughter that I love spending time with too. I REALLY wish it was close, so they could come hang out for a couple hours.
    The Mineral Ring in February is not for the faint of heart! :P Just ask Majik (aka )

I'll bring a jacket this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Jacket?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Don't forget your mittens!

Well If I do it, I may need you to drive past my house on your way out and lay on the horn. Or was that removed in the quest for lightness?

Not yet... it's still road legal... I'll lay on the horn for ya!

You can daisy chain with us over there!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123