Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FI miata development in tx!

Default FI miata development in tx!

all this talk of miata challenge has me thinking we should get together in TX. for something like this. why couldn't we do an informal challenge here in texas? texas world speedway has started having open track days for cheap!
    $115 dollar pre register get's you track time between 3:30 and 7:30pm run when you want for as long as you want. it also includes a garage space with a work bench, electrical outlet AND catered dinner from OUTBACK! can't beat that deal if you ask me. we could pick a date or dates (2 friday's a month through october available) and have our own little miata challenge.
    i doubt we could get enough cars together to have our own day at tws, but we don't need to. we have been doing time attack/super lap battle type events here in so. tx. during scca auto-x or pca de/tt. basically the event runs like any regular event. but those of us from certain forums that are competing have our own classes apart from the club having the event. we would keep track of lap times and afterwards would post the results.
    who's in?

we've decided on 10/9 for the date. we have about 9 people in for sure so far. like it says, nothing serious, no trophy's, forms, or anything. we're just there for an open trackday and to share information, and help each other get faster. we will keep track of our own lap times for reference and/or braggin' rights! after all nothing gives you motivation or inspiration like a little competition. it's normal hpde rules on helmets, roll bars with soft tops, etc., and point by passing.

I could be in for that. Get a few more details for us....

I'm waiting to hear back if I have any events in October.

I'm in if the schedule is clear.

That weekend should be good for me.

Which track configuration will be used? Sounds like a great weekend.
    I drive to fast to worry about my cholesterol.

Quote Originally Posted by CarCar View Post
    Which track configuration will be used? Sounds like a great weekend.
    2.9 mile road course. won't know direction until closer to event date. usually runs ccw though.

here's a link to tws info: http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/co...=details&did=8

what you need: http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/pe...nna-drive.html

how i found out about it: http://www.rgvpca.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=666

i'm an instructor with the coastal bend region pca so i'm on that site often.

finally got a race seat. an ultrashield alum. spec miata style, and a willan's harness. now i just need my harness bar welded and bolt in my seat. it's gonna be nice not having to support myself upright during hard cornering. not to mention less weight, lower cg, etc..

To pre-register, log on to ClubRegistration.net, and choose 'Texas World Speedway' under the 'Club' drop-down menu. That way, you get the lower price.

I was thinkin' about what tires to run, and I decided on using my worn R888's. Maybe we should suggest using tires with a tread rating of 100 or greater, just to level the playing field and to keep the competition friendly.

All of you who are participating: what do you think?

that would be cool with me (says the guy runnin' ra1's lol) but i say run what you brung, try and get your fastest time. if you guy's wanna compare like vehicle's we can split it up ala the real miata challenge rules as seen here: http://www.miatachallenge.com/rules.php

don't forget, there are gonna be all sorts of miatae there. setting a 100 treadwear rule limits one thing only. it still wouldn't be an even playing field between a 1990 all motor , 1995 built motor turbo , 2007 bolt-ons,tires,suspension car.

plus this should be a learning experience. if someone wanted to see what difference a wing and frt. splitter makes, i might let'em take a lap or two in my car. conversly, i would love to see the difference between my shock/spring setup and a tein monoflex. i don't know if anything like that will happen, i'm sure it would be pretty hard to let a stranger drive your car, but after a few sessions, you can usually get an idea about a driver's ability/maturity.

if you guy's want, we can check out the car's before hand and class everybody according to the ruleset above. it's real simple points rules so it shouldn't take long.

list so far: update
    spoolin2bars
    double 0 86
    the geezer
    tanner
    rharris19 mt.net
    zx-tex mt.net
    miata_racer
    my buddies stubbs, cody, chris, jake (s/c, n/a, n/a, turbo)
    johnwag mt.net
    bond mt.net
    hustler mt.net
    smartmx5 dfwm.com
    carcar dfwm.com
    apariah
    matt exz3owner (possibly)
    slartibartfast?
    poorman's lotus m.net
    tstiles m.net

Default Registration now open!

From ClubRegistration.net:

"TWS Open Track Days - October 9, 2009
    Open Track Days at TWS for Blue Solo and Advanced Drivers. Gates open at 1:00pm with mandatory driver's meeting at 1:30pm. Open track runs from 2:00pm-6:00pm. Free garages available at a first come, first served basis. $115 for pre-registrants and $125 at the gate on the day of the event. Dinner is also being offered from Outback Steakhouse for $11."

i'm signing up next week. goin' to HHR this saturday. i hope we get some dry laps in.

I might sign up or just come and watch.

HHR is gonna be fun. Never been on track in the rain, would prefer AutoX'ing in the rain I think.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

well, the event is finally getting close. and i have a few questions for you guys. first, our car club (Voodoo Racing) had a show about a month ago and we have a few trophy's left over. i can probably get them donated and make some new plaques for them. should i do this? would this get some of you guys to put a little more effort into making this event? if i do bring trophy's, where can i hand them out? i don't want to have an awards ceremony at their open trackday. lol......... even though we aren't doing anything differently than a reg. trackday, i don't want to piss any of those people off. maybe if hustler actually makes it and takes that big rv he was talking about, we could hand them out there.

also, i spoke to some of the guys at the hhr event this weekend. and it sounds like some of them might go, but maybe just to watch? i get the feeling some people are worried about not being fast enough. fast enough for who? the main reason for bringing this up in the first place was to see each other's setup's/solutions to different problems and help each other get faster. if we follow emillio's simple rule set. we would have 3 classes. street, modified, and unlimited. within 2 minutes you can look at his list of points mods and add them up to see what class you would fall into. that way the slightly modded n/a cars can compare times to like cars and so on. maybe the fastest car in that class has some part that the other's lack, or is running a different tire than the other's. maybe the second fastest car is way faster in a certain part of the track than the 1st place car and he can find out what the 2nd place guy is doing differently there or whatever. you get the idea. point is, don't get hung up on being the fastest or too slow. i think if you come in 1st place, but didn't learn anything that day, you really lost!

last thing, do you guys wanna add up your points and class your cars now and let me know, or should i just print up some sheets and class everybody the day of the event? i'd really like to get as much done before i get there, just to make sure everyone has time to get ready, plus i think it would help if we all tried to park under the same garage. i plan on being there as soon as they open so just look for the carport crawling with miata's.

i'll post this to the other forum's also.

you guys that are going to be there. can you send me your class and why.
    street 8 points or less, modified 9-15 points, unlimited 16+ points
    example: my car
    tires: 100 treadwear +6
    wheels: 7.5-8.0'' +1
    suspension: +2
    diff.: torsen +1
    exhaust: +1
    internal eng. mod: +2 not sure if i need to take this with f/i,won't matter
    forced induction: +4
    wing/splitter non-oem +1
    totaL 18 = UNLIMITED CLASS
    thanks, it'll help alot if i can make a time sheet for you guys before hand.

Link for unofficial classing:
    http://www.miatachallenge.com/rules.php

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by spoolin2bars View Post
    list so far: update
    spoolin2bars
    double 0 86
    the geezer
    tanner
    rharris19 mt.net
    zx-tex mt.net
    miata_racer
    my buddies stubbs, cody, chris, jake (s/c, n/a, n/a, turbo)
    johnwag mt.net
    bond mt.net
    hustler mt.net
    smartmx5 dfwm.com
    carcar dfwm.com
    apariah
    matt exz3owner (possibly)
    slartibartfast?
    poorman's lotus m.net
    tstiles m.net
    This event is less than nine days away, and the only driver signed up from DFW is Wags?!

C'mon, are all of you dfwmiata guys gonna make Wags represent the entire northern region of Texas? I know he's a very capable driver, but his Miata is naturally-aspirated!

How about some participation from you forced induction guys?

I see smartmx5 and carcar on that list....????
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Double O 86 View Post
    This event is less than nine days away, and the only driver signed up from DFW is Wags?!

C'mon, are all of you dfwmiata guys gonna make Wags represent the entire northern region of Texas? I know he's a very capable driver, but his Miata is naturally-aspirated!

How about some participation from you forced induction guys?
    i signed up just not on the cool kid list, i'm on the epic list

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    I see smartmx5 and carcar on that list....????
    And who do you see signed up in ClubRegistration.net?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast