Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Numbers Don't Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    My grammy taught me as a wee babe... "There's no replacement for displacement."
    Except for turbos and other power adders.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Quote Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
    Except for turbos and other power adders.
    But when you add those options to the large displacment engines you get even more power. This is the point they are trying to make.

Any plans to reply to my last post, or is it too rational for you to wrap your head around?

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    But when you add those options to the large displacment engines you get even more power. This is the point they are trying to make.
    When a turbo is added to a larger displacement motor, it will displace less volume with the addition of compressed air, therefore negating any benefit. This is FI 101.

I got my popcorn ready!

Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
    When a turbo is added to a larger displacement motor, it will displace less volume with the addition of compressed air, therefore negating any benefit. This is FI 101.
    WTF you smoking? The whole purpose of forced induction is to get more oxygen into the cylinder so you can burn more gas. The higher the intake preassure the more O2 in the charge per unit volume(displacement). So at the same pressure with the the same set up the larger displacement engine will be able to burn more fuel and make more power.

BTW: Displacement of an engine is fixed by the choice of bore and stroke when it is assembled. Changing the charge density does not change the displacement of the engine. It just changes the cylinder preasure when the gas/air mixture is compressed.
    Last edited by HudsonHawk; 08-03-2009 at 12:37 PM.

WTF you smoking?
    I'm going on Ray logic here.

I'm going on Ray logic here.
    Sorry did not catch the sarcasm.

I'm that good.

Dammit, reading comprehension fail. I assumed the 1.6L dyno Ray posted was the first one in red, oh well. I forgot Ray lives in a magical word where his turbo makes more power per psi than any other turbo miata on the planet.

All my content is still valid, I just would have went at this a different way.
    Last edited by Braineack; 08-03-2009 at 01:12 PM.

Please... make it STOP
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

WTF you smoking? The whole purpose of forced induction is to get more oxygen into the cylinder so you can burn more gas. The higher the intake preassure the more O2 in the charge per unit volume(displacement). So at the same pressure with the the same set up the larger displacement engine will be able to burn more fuel and make more power.

BTW: Displacement of an engine is fixed by the choice of bore and stroke when it is assembled. Changing the charge density does not change the displacement of the engine. It just changes the cylinder preasure when the gas/air mixture is compressed.
    +1 all things being = a larger motor will make more power than a smaller motor.

Blog Entries

I have 900 cubic inches at 20:1 CR running 42 psi of boost, does that count? You guys are fun.

Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    I have 900 cubic inches at 20:1 CR running 42 psi of boost, does that count? You guys are fun.
    Dyno?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

It's a waste of money! If you had a meth kit and a 1.6 you'd be making more power since the boost would make more displacement...

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by Savington View Post
    Max bore 1.8 is 85.5mm. 292.16cc difference. Good try, though.

Raising CR won't improve spool, either. A lower CR motor is less efficient, which by definition means more of the gasoline burned gets turned to heat energy vs torque. That heat energy is exhausted through the turbocharger, and since half the energy used to spool the turbocharger is heat energy, the turbo will spool faster. You're more than welcome to prove me wrong, here, since theory is just theory, but I would need an identical setup with ONLY CR CHANGED - not a new exhaust, not a different head, no BS - that shows a higher CR motor spooling a turbo faster.

Once you've spent the $700 on all of that, and let's say you do end up equal to the power, spool, response, etc. of a 1.8 - the 1.8 guy can still add meth on top of his setup and make more power than you, whereas you're stuck. So you can spend the same money you'd put into high CR pistons and a meth kit on upgrading to a 1.8 setup, get the same results... and then have an upgrade path if you want more. No matter what you spend on a 1.6 to make it equal a 1.8... the 1.8 guy can do the same mods afterwards and step ahead.

There is a reason lots of people swap to 1.8 motors. There is a reason people remove built 1.6s to install built 1.8s. There is a reason many people who build 1.6s end up regretting it. Just because you think something is a bad idea, doesn't actually mean it is.
    And the guy would be spending more for his build than the 1.6l. The 1.6l could get some cams and then have even more top-end power. Too bad they don't have any good cams for a 1.8l, right? So I guess as far as preferred heads goes, a 1.6l would be the way to go if you wanted to get lots of lift and flow, even compared to a 99 head.

You want a great example for CR, boost, and power?
    4G63 6-bolt – 7.8:1CR Stock 8psi
    Rated power – 195hp

4G63 7-bolt – 8.5:1CR Stock 10psi
    Rated power – 210hp

Is that a good enough comparison for compression ratios? And the 2G has a SMALLER turbo than the 1G.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    Dyno?

Chris
    I have mine governed at 1450 rpm so it's only making 550 Hp at 1450 with peak torque of 2050 fp at 1250 rpm. That was done to prevent the mileage from dropping below 3mpg while climbing a hill at 60 mph.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

So what's the fuel pressure set at?

My little 2254cc had 22.5:1 CR N.A. with ~2500psi off the fuel injectors. I hear they have gone way up on fuel pressure since then. I sold it at 290k.

Chevy LUV
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

You want a great example for CR, boost, and power?
    4G63 6-bolt – 7.8:1CR Stock 8psi
    Rated power – 195hp

4G63 7-bolt – 8.5:1CR Stock 10psi
    Rated power – 210hp

Is that a good enough comparison for compression ratios? And the 2G has a SMALLER turbo than the 1G.[/QUOTE]

No suprise the one with higher CR and more boost is making more power. What's your point?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast