Thread: Intro and a couple of questions about forced induction and texas inspection

BuenoHead

Default Intro and a couple of questions about forced induction and texas inspection

Hello all, I've been looking for a miata for quite some time and I think I found one that catered to everything that I am looking for.

I found a relatively low mileage 96 that has a jackson supercharger on it. Now I am buying this car out of state...will I face a problem getting it inspected here in Dallas so that I can register the car?

I definitely hope to be contributing member here and thanks in advance for the help!
    Last edited by sammm; 07-31-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: I deleted 'BuenoHead'

It depends, If the ODBCII connector still works then you should be good if the car is tuned propery. But if the inspection shop can't read the ODBC information they will fail the car. Texas LAW will not allow them to dyno test it anymore for emissions.

BuenoHead

Oh boy...now I'm unsure if I want to purchase this car. It's in great condition...and I tried asking the lady selling it but she has no idea what a ODBCII is and can't tell me what its for.

Also it doesn't have the torsen lsd...how bad is that knowing that I am going have a supercharger in the car. I can only imagine how bad of traction I will get. Is it expensive to put on the car later? Thanks for your reply btw...

You will need to determine what is bieng used for Engine Management. Hydra? LINK? E-Manage? Power Card? MSD? ect. That will help determine if your OBDII is on it or not.
    Blah blah blah!

BuenoHead

Well the problem is that, the lady i'm purchasing the car from bought the car the way it is a year ago. She doesn't know anything about the car or the supercharger...is there an easy way for her to find out? Thanks again...this looks like it might be more trouble than its worth!

I'd walk away unless it's a deal you just can't refuse. In that case be ready to spend $ to get it inspected. Even if it's just a track toy, I don't think you will be able to get it titled. If you do need work on it, Gary at Track Dog Racing would be the first I'd go to. Good luck and welcome!

Most JRSC don't have a problem passing inspection with the engine management that Moss provides. Most everything out there now is a piggyback to the ECU. See if she can get information from the previous owner, or at least have her take some pics of under the hood to see what is installed. If someone hasn't butchered or hacked up the ECU wiring everything is reversible in a few minutes to let the ECU reset and pass the ODB2 test. Also knowing when the unit was originally purchased/install will help determine what is being used.

Most likely its a M45 SC and if it was an early model it didn't even use engine management, just a fuel pressure regulator/bigger fuel pump and a timing control unit at the most.

Thanks for all the help guys...she just confirmed that it is a m45 supercharger and it was installed about 2 years ago. Does that mean anything to yall?

2 screen names?
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by latchkeykid View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys...she just confirmed that it is a m45 supercharger and it was installed about 2 years ago. Does that mean anything to yall?
    try to act a little more mature over here and not make a fool of yourself like you did over on mt.net.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Thanks for the tip mr brg :) but that was the first time i felt like i was being attacked on a forum for just asking a simple question. I was pretty excited to see a car that I wanted to actually purchase but that whole experience kind of turned me off to the whole thing. Lesson learned I guess..

sorry about the 2 screen names...I forgot that I started an account a week ago and created a new one. There are so many miata forums I had no idea which ones I had registered for. This is the one I will be using.

Quote Originally Posted by latchkeykid View Post
    Thanks for the tip mr brg :) but that was the first time i felt like i was being attacked on a forum for just asking a simple question. I was pretty excited to see a car that I wanted to actually purchase but that whole experience kind of turned me off to the whole thing. Lesson learned I guess..
    That's probably because I was the one doing the attacking, lol.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Now thats funny...well I won't make it a big deal here if you wont. It looks like the moderator erased all that anyway back at mt.net.