Thread: Need Advice/Shop Recommendation

Default Need Advice/Shop Recommendation

I have owned my 04 MSM since new. The only mods are a FM intake and downpipe which were installed two years ago. The car is basically a toy for me, so I seldom drive it (it has less than 10,000 miles on it).

Beginning about three years ago, the car would occasionally misfire on the first few drives after sitting for a awhile (3 weeks or more). This would clear up after one or two heat/cool cycles. As long as I drove it every week or two, it ran great.

The problem has been getting progressively worse, however, and I was unable to cure it with a couple of short drives. It seems like fuel starvation, and is throwing CEL code 0304 (#4 cylinder misfire).

I am looking for ideas from any who have experienced a similar problem, or a recommendation on a good shop/mechanic to properly troubleshoot and correct the problem. The car has never been flogged or otherwise abused, and I don't want to turn it over to a "parts changer".

Someone close to Keller/North Fort Worth would be terrific, but I will go anywhere in the Metroplex for the right shop. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Give Rogue (Stevan) a call at Miata Solutions.

http://www.miatasolutions.com/

So tell us what you have done so far to cure the problem?? Is it kicking any other codes??

You put plugs or wires in it lately??

+1 for Miata Solutions

Default Thanks for ideas

I haven't really done anything to correct the problem yet, but plugs/wires seems like a good place to start. It just seems wierd that an ignition problem would manifest itself after inactivity. I'll give that a shot and see if that works and maybe I'll get lucky. If not, I'll call Rogue, as sammm suggests.

Default Next Steps

OK, I swapped the coils, and checked the number 4 plug (closest to the firewall). It was gapped properly, insulator looked sound (no cracks or defects) and the electrodes were light tan in color, so I put it back in. Drove it again and still misfires on #4 (also throws a 304 code). I will swap the plugs when I get more time, an ignition problem this seems less likely.

I called Rogue, but he doesn't work on 'speeds (normally aspirated cars only). Are there anyone other recommendations for a someone who works with MSMs? I mentioned taking it to a dealer, and Rogue seemed to think that is a bad idea. He mentioned a Gary in Plano that works with boosted Miatas.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Mspeed JC View Post
    He mentioned a Gary in Plano that works with boosted Miatas.
    Gary (aka trackdog) owns Track Dog Racing -

http://www.trackdogracing.com/

well, you're moving more air...so what plugs are you running? Considering that #4 is definitely running hot, and you probably have stock plugs in it, and it "feels like fuel starvation," you probably have detonation and the computer is pulling spark angle. Put in a set of NGK brk7e plugs and I bet it goes away.

Considering the MSM runs stupid rich, you could have too much carbon on the pistons too, so run some water through it with care. My 1991 had such severe carbon build up that I had misfires until running some steam through it.

You should be able to run tons of gap with the stronger 01+ coils, but gap them down to .020 and see what happens.

Yes, TDR is good at this stuff.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Considering that the car is 6 years old and only has 10K on the engine, it may have sat enough that the rings need time to re-seat. If the spark plugs do not change the performance and the fuel injector is not clogged, I would check the cylinder compression as this is common in airplane engines that sit too long. If the compression happens to be a little low, squirt a little oil down in the cylinder and recheck. The oil will seal the rings enough to build compression, proving this point. If this is all it happens to be, I would take the car and drive it on a few long trips and put it on a daily routine for a while.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Default Plug replacement fixed it

I replaced the plugs with new, and the problem is gone. Thanks all

As little as you drive that car put some Sta-Bil in the tank. It works.....Your injector spray patterns could be compromised due to lack of regular use, buy some Techron concentrate for the tank also. Your car only runs rich under boost........I guarantee you its running lean the rest of the time.