Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: check engine light woes

Default check engine light woes

So lately the check engine light keeps popping up, so when i hook up the scanner it says codes 0 but the evap light flashes. i have replaced my gas cap and i started to replace some of the evap lines. Could it be there is a tiny hole in one of the lines that can trigger the check engine light but no code? I also cleaned the egr valve about 10,000 miles ago and the intake manifold around 15,000 miles.

O some history of the car, i used to always get the p2004 code or whatever it is for the gas cap thus the replacement. fuel filter has also been changed recently.

On my scanner when it flashes it means it is not ready. Did you disco the battery or clear codes on the car lately? Out '02 takes forever to get everything to show ready.

YMMV

Yes I have cleared codes recently. Should I just rescan it and let the check engine light stay on longer instead of scanning right when it happens?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by aalvarez04 View Post
    Should I just rescan it and let the check engine light stay on longer instead of scanning right when it happens?
    If the CEL is on, it's not a 'Not Ready' condition. So it immediately throws a code after you clear them? Did you disconnect the battery and step on the brake pedal for 10 seconds or so to clear?

Yes I have cleared codes recently. Should I just rescan it and let the check engine light stay on longer instead of scanning right when it happens?
    Yea you need to let it register the CEL, don't clear it or disco the battery your not solving anything.

Because when clear it or disco the battery all systems have to reset over several drive cycles and that as you have learned can take a while!

Any symptoms or just a random cell at this point?

Well I clear the code and about three miles later it pops up as the same thing, code 0 and e and evap lights flashing. I have let the light stay on for 40 miles now but itusually turns off aitself around 75 to 100 miles and then proceeds to turn on again before the next 100 miles.

Any symptoms or just a random cell at this point?

You sure the 0 isn't just signifying it doesn't have a codes stored??

Mine shows 0 when all is well..
    Last edited by POS Racing; 08-19-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: fis sppelin

All is well if 0 displayed but codes stored. Hmm...I will disconnet the battery and try to reset the codes.

Well i went to autozone to use their scanner and the code is p0012.I searched the pointy board and they say it could be the cps, camshaft position sensor.

P0340 is the code for the Cam position sensor.

I just replaced the CPS in the '02 a couple of weeks ago.

Ya sure it is not this - http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/sb01-025-06-1648.pdf

My warranty is up, do i have to bite the bullet and buy another pcm? When it says 01-02 is it referring to vehicles built in that time span as mine is marketed as a 2003. Is there any way to check the vvt solenoid?

Update, went to the dealer and I do not qualify for the pcm recall. It costs 901 and some change for a new pcm....any ideas?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Update, went to the dealer and I do not qualify for the pcm recall. It costs 901 and some change for a new pcm....any ideas?
    Find a used one. Check with Gary or Fleabay.

How many miles on the car?? What dealer told you no??

I'd think it would be covered under the emmisions warranty.

ederal Emissions Warranty
    The Federal Emissions Warranty guidelines are based on federal regulations and apply to vehicles in all 50 states. Vehicles are covered by two types of emissions control system warranty, "Emission Defect Warranty" and "Emissions Performance Warranty".

The Emissions Performance Warranty is usually for 3 years/50,000 miles and depends on the state where you live. The Defect Warranty is generally consistent with the manufacturer's bumper-to-bumper warranty with certain parts (catalytic converter and electronic emissions controls (PCM) for up to 8 years/80,000 miles. Please refer to your owner's manual for specific information on your emissions warranty.

I would think, at this point, it's time to check the VCT solenoid and make sure the cam retard is working properly. If it engages and releases then go for the ECU, but it sounds like a mechanical problem.

PS that's what you get for buying a retarded Miata!!!!!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    How many miles on the car?? What dealer told you no??

I'd think it would be covered under the emmisions warranty.
    His car is past 80,000 miles, though .
    Previously owned: 2004 Classic Red - 135,000 miles
    H&R Street Performance Coilovers | Racing Beat Hollow Front Sway | Hawk HP+ Pads | BF Goodrich GForce Sports | DIY Short CAI | Mazdaspeed Muffler | Pioneer DEH-5800MP | Alpine F353 V12 Amp | JL Audio C5-650 Components | Pioneer Premier 10" Shallow Mount | Skunk2 Knob | 5000k HIDs | Many bowls of Rice

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    I would think, at this point, it's time to check the VCT solenoid and make sure the cam retard is working properly. If it engages and releases then go for the ECU, but it sounds like a mechanical problem.

PS that's what you get for buying a retarded Miata!!!!!

How do i check the vvt solenoid? Anything else i should check?

Is the car running fine??

You may want to ask on Miata.net on the VVT stuff I don't think any of us locals have had to mess with it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast