Thread: My car won't start!!!!!!!!!

Default My car won't start!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I took out my dead battery and took it to O'Reilly Auto Parts and they charged it up for me. I went home and put the battery back in the car and my car still won't start. The power windows and radio will work when I turn the key but my car makes no sound like it's trying to start. Can anyone help? I have a 1994 Miata. Thanks.

Have you checked the starter fuse under the hood? If so and/or if it's good, do you hear a click when you go to start it? There should be two clicks, one for the starter relay, the other the starter selonoid. If no clicks, check starter relay, then check starter. Hope that get's you started.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Could it be the clutch switch?

You sure you got a hot battery with full cranking amps? I've had batteries that would work power windows, radio, horn etc..but not turn it over.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Could it be the clutch switch?
    My '94 did the same to me. Put the car in neutral, turn and hold the ignition in start, and mash the clutch VERY hard and fast a couple times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    There's no six-way traction control. There's no complicated folding metal roof. It's simpler than that. Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Currently:

1991 Mariner Blue (daily driver)
    Previously:
    1994 M-Edition

Ive had similar things happen with two Miata batteries. Didn't try the windows, but both times it was a dead battery from sitting too long with a radio that had a slow drain on the battery. Took them to vatozone both times and their charger doesn't work on them for some reason. It has something to do with being an AGM battery. First time I didn't know any better and bought a new battery, second time it happened to still be under warranty so I just swapped it out rather than bother with trickle charging it.

Dont quote me on this but I think you have to trickle charge the AGM batteries very slowly for it to work for them. Can anyone else chime in on charging an AGM battery??
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

BINGO!

They don't like fast charge. Put it on a 1 to 2A charger for 24 hours.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Default Battery good but I need a new starter

Okay I know now that it's not the battery. A friend came by and we pushed the car and he got it to start. He said that I need to get a new starter. Where should I get one? I live in Arlington. Thanks.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MiataPaige View Post
    Where should I get one? I live in Arlington. Thanks.
    Miata Solutions if you need it installed!

www.miatasolutions.com

Default Arlington

Yes I have used them and they are very good but I have a guy closer to me that can install the starter. I just need some suggestions where to buy. The guy that's gonna install the starter does not like using O'Reilly used auto parts. Thanks.

Oh, and just for my own information where is the starter fuse? I know its under the hood in the fuse box but which one is it? I looked in my manual for a menu and none of the fuse's are labled starter. I just pulled out all the fuse's and they all looked good.

I had a place in arlington off of cooper rebuild my alternator. He also does starters and did a fine job for me. Give me a second to find the info.

Ask him what is his preference for a starter.

Heck ya got NAPA, Autozone, O'Reilly, PEP Boys, and Carquest just in the DFW area.

I like NAPA!

I am pretty sure it is metroplex alternator and starter.

Default Starter

Several of the guys at work referred me to Larry at Automotive Maintenance Center in Arlington on Cooper St. 817-477-0111. I've used him to work on my Honda and he done a little work on my Miata.

Default Starter

Thanks Majik... I might give them a call.

Default Starter

POS Racing, I will let you know where we get the starter. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MiataPaige View Post
    POS Racing, I will let you know where we get the starter. Thanks.
    I'd be interested in knowing who your mechanic likes best, I'm sure he buys a few parts every year!

I don't recall a starter fuse on my '94. But this is a good resource for the Miata electrical system - http://neomiata.com/garage/index.php (Looks like what you need is on page 27)

I've always had the best luck with NAPA parts. That being said, if you still have the cap for the fuse box under the hood it should be labeled. If you don't, you can probably get one from Gary at Trackdogracing.com or one of the Spec Miata racers.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

There is no fuse for the starter motor, but for the ignition switch there is. You could also check to make sure it's not the clutch switch keeping it from cranking. Try unplugging the clutch switch and jumpering between the two wires and see if it starts.

Looking at the 1991 wiring diagram, the ST SIG fuse is a 10 amp fuse that is connected to the ignition switch and controls the start signal to the solenoid.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica