Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft top frame

Default Soft top frame

Does anyone have a soft top frame in good condition laying around?

I just got a spiffy new Robbins canvas streamline top with glass defrost window in the mail after the Moss 15% sale, and im lookin to do the install myself. Only problem is with school starting (tonight actually) I know im going to be short on time and probably have to pull the frame, put the top on it one weekend, and put the frame on the car another. I might be able to do both, but i'd rather have a backup plan, I can't afford to have a daily driver without a top for that long.

Everytime it rains I have to dry out my seats so im hoping to get this swapped as soon as I can.

My frame should be in good shape, (haven't seen it without the top) If anyone has a frame in good shape, I can give you my old frame when I pull it off the car, with a case of beer for your trouble of course
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Borrow a hardtop.

Yea I thought about that...my luck it'd get stolen. Last time I borrowed a hardtop I didn't want to give it back.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 08-25-2009 at 08:44 PM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Mildensteve, I got your message. Ill call you tomorrow.

I've got one but it's in Wylie. Quite a drive from Euless but you're welcome to go get it. It's still at the house of the guy who painted my car. I'm sure he'd be grateful to see it gone. :)

What year is it from? I think since I bought an NA top, I need an NA frame for it to fit.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    I think since I bought an NA top, I need an NA frame for it to fit.
    You are correct.

As Captain Ramius said in The Hunt for Red October, "When he reached the New World, Cortez burned his ships. As a result his men were well motivated."

Pick a day, start on the top, and don't look back.

We have a couple of frames and FYI we have used first gen on second get tops so no difference we have seen. You can come by and look at them. Call 214-340-9797.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

NA top frame = case of Bud, and I'll help you with the install. Just gotta check and see if its still here in town or if I stored it in the barn.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    NA top frame = case of Bud, and I'll help you with the install. Just gotta check and see if its still here in town or if I stored it in the barn.
    Wow that's a hell of an offer, I think i'll take you up on it. I won't be installing it for another two weeks, since im sorta busy this weekend and out of town the next. But the weekend of sep 12th I should be free.

With help I might not even need another frame, we could probably knock out the entire swap in a couple hours.

Thanks!

Wow that's a hell of an offer, I think i'll take you up on it. I won't be installing it for another two weeks, since im sorta busy this weekend and out of town the next. But the weekend of sep 12th I should be free.

With help I might not even need another frame, we could probably knock out the entire swap in a couple hours.

Thanks!
    Post when you do it. I am near Eusless and I need to pay my top install forward. Hopefully I will be available.

^Awesome, thanks! For anyone coming over i'll buy lunch and beer.

I just noticed my weatherstripping is torn in a couple places, and since Trussville went out of business, the other places have them listed for over $100 per side!!

http://www.finishlineperformance.com...cat=325&page=2

Im not paying $200 for four foam rubber strips. Has anyone successfully patched theirs up with silicone sealant or something similar? I'd hate to have a brand new top that still leaks on my seats.

Does anyone have a good set on one of their frames laying around? I'd buy them if they're in good condition.

^Awesome, thanks! For anyone coming over i'll buy lunch and beer.

I just noticed my weatherstripping is torn in a couple places, and since Trussville went out of business, the other places have them listed for over $100 per side!!

http://www.finishlineperformance.com...cat=325&page=2

Im not paying $200 for four foam rubber strips. Has anyone successfully patched theirs up with silicone sealant or something similar? I'd hate to have a brand new top that still leaks on my seats.

Does anyone have a good set on one of their frames laying around? I'd buy them if they're in good condition.
    The ones on the frame riding around in the back of my truck look good. Since you insist on buying them I'll make you a hell of a deal on those too!

When do you want this thing? I'd like to have it out of my truck.

Trussville closed their doors, but the parts guys moved to another dealership. Their new site is www.mazdaparts.org. Also give Rosenthal Mazda a shot. I'll update with URL shortly. Typically if one doesn't have a great price on something the other will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    There's no six-way traction control. There's no complicated folding metal roof. It's simpler than that. Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Currently:

1991 Mariner Blue (daily driver)
    Previously:
    1994 M-Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin94m View Post
    Trussville closed their doors, but the parts guys moved to another dealership. Their new site is www.mazdaparts.org. Also give Rosenthal Mazda a shot. I'll update with URL shortly. Typically if one doesn't have a great price on something the other will.
    Strike that... Finishline is the Rosenthal store

And it appears they have a better price than Mazdaparts.org:
    http://www.mazdaparts.org/90codrwestdr.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    There's no six-way traction control. There's no complicated folding metal roof. It's simpler than that. Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Currently:

1991 Mariner Blue (daily driver)
    Previously:
    1994 M-Edition

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    The ones on the frame riding around in the back of my truck look good. Since you insist on buying them I'll make you a hell of a deal on those too!

When do you want this thing? I'd like to have it out of my truck.
    Good deal!

If you guys come over and help I might not need the frame. But if you want it gone i'll take it off your hands.

Im leaving for Nebraska tonight (yawn), i'll be back in Texas on Monday. Probably some time next week I can get the frame. I have school on Tuesday nights and Thursday nights. Might be better to just bring it over wherever and whenever we're doing the install.

The Saturday the 12th is good for yall right? I've kept that weekend open so it's good for me (unless something catastrophic pops up), except I have to work on Sunday. If yall can't make it out that weekend let me know, we can figure something else out.

Also, I have some basic tools, but not alot, and my garage is very small and unfit for working on a car. If someone has a better option out of the heat that might be better for working on a top let me know, I can drive wherever I need to.

We can still do it at my place though. If anyone else wants to come over an watch or lend some advise you're more than welcome to.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 09-03-2009 at 12:48 PM.

I'll be on my way back from Nebraska on the 12th, so I will not be able to help. It's a little time consuming and tedious to replace the top, but it is not too hard. You should be able to kill it in a day.

I am told that it's easier to remove the frame (with top) from the car, replace the top on the frame, then put it all back on the car. I was told that about 75% of the way through my frame-on install.

Got the top on the frame yesterday. It was long and tedius but not near as bad as I thought. It took me about 4 or 5 hours off and on working while watching top gear reruns. had I read the first top tutorial on miata.net and not drilled out 2 or 3 of the wrong rivets it it would have taken me half the tiime. All is left is to put the top on the car, but with this rain its not looking good this weekend without a garage.

Finally got a break from the rain and got the top on the car. It was time consuming and was tough getting the foam seals to stay on the rain rail studs, but over all easier than expected.

Two problems, first, when I pulled back the carpet I noticed this...

This probably has something to do with my interior gas smell. Looks like a trip to Mazda-Nissan Heaven is in store for me.

Next, while installing the rain rail, im not sure how it happened, but stud #10 in the pic below sheared off while torquing. It was tight, but it didn't feel like it was anywhere near breaking point. It didn't cause any wrinkles, and hopefully it won't be detrimental to the seal. Anyone know if I should be concerned, or how one could replace this stud?

I bought some pepper cat repellant stuff, tried it on my cat, he hated it. Didn't have any paw prints this morning so lets hope it works.

Top is a little stiff and needs to stretch out a bit, but overall it's great. Love it!

One more thought: Man how am I supposed to keep this thing clean?? I must have lint rolled it 3 times over yesterday and still kept getting little pieces of nature all over it. Im going to invest in a bunch of lint rollers I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast