Thread: Another New Member in Benbrook (SW Fort Worth)

Default Another New Member in Benbrook (SW Fort Worth)

Morning!

Picked up a 2005 MSM about 2 months ago, after being tortured for 3 years driving a Toyota Prius - wasn't my first choice, but couldn't convince the wife that a Mazda3 was a better car.

But, that chapter is over - and I'm back in a sports car.

A little about me...I'm an avid cyclist, in the summer I'll hit 150-200 miles per week. Most of my free time goes into riding - just did the Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred yesterday, 101 miles in 4h15m. If you're looking to ID me on the road, that's the easiest time - red Miata, bike rack, red bike.

I used to Solo2/autocross a lot, started in '97 driving a 1996 Dodge Neon ACR SOHC Sedan. I was competitive locally and regionally (Central Illinois region), but not at all at the Division or higher level. After moving to Texas, I found the events to be too long, too hot, and providing too little time on-course.

I've also done several track solo events and did one event with The Driver's Edge at Texas World Speedway.

I've owned mostly sport(y) cars: '96 Neon ACR, '00 Celica GTS 6spd, '04 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe before being roped into the aforementioned 2006 Prius. (I do have to say, the Prius is cool from a "geek" perspective, if you like fancy electronics and high-tech, you'd like the Prius.)

Now with the Miata I'm not looking to restart AutoX'ing, but might be interested in track days at TMS or MSR - especially if they are dedicated Miata-only events or have professional drivers teaching.

I'm looking to do the most basic mods to my Mazdaspeed. The previous owner installed a roll-bar, so that's already off the list. Aside from a receiver hitch for my bike rack, I've already done the FM Intake (with MBC and BOV), and as I save money - cycling is expensive, too - I'll be looking at a downpipe and cat-back. That'll probably do it unless I get sufficiently independently wealthy to support my cycling and driving habits.

The Wednesday-night events are a long ways from me, but I'd be interested in weekend cruises or other events that might be closer. I look forward to meeting a few people, finding a few twisties, and enjoying the top-down weather that will be here soon (and actually is here even now!).

C-

Welcome to this! There are a couple other bikers on here also.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    including our benefactor, Tailchaser.

Welcome to the madness. You'll find good people, good information and a lot of
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard.

The West siders used to have quite a few get togethers on Tuesdays or Thursdays. Maybe you can get them started again. They have gone to Angelos BBQ, a pizza joint in NRH area and a mediteranian place along with some other fine eating establishments in the past. FYI, they retire kinda early, unlike the East siders.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome aboard.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Welcome.

You might try these guys for an autocross. Capped at 60 entrants and 8 runs. KINK.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    Me too but there's no way I could average over 23 mph for 100 miles in August heat. I'm doing good to keep it above 17. Good job!

Welcome to this!
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster