Thread: New it list

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Default New it list

http://skippyslist.com/2009/08/23/giant-new-it-list/

i started crying trying not to laugh loud at work but ~#35

Wow, a lot of that applies to me.

BTW they missed one:
    I am no longer allowed to talk to executives unless my manager is present.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

No longer aloud to tell clients don't call sales reps call IT, since reps know less then said client.

62. Not allowed to resolve URLs to external websites including but not limited to (redacted), (redacted), (redacted), (redacted), (redacted) or anything that involves 2 people and one container, one person and one container, or cake.
    63. Not allowed to install the BSoD screensaver remotely onto users machines.
    64. Not allowed to change the startup and shutdown event sounds on users desktops to any of the Freecreditreport(dot)com jingles.
    HAHAHAHAHA - 62...

We would use sites such as (redacted), (redacted), and (redacted) and sites involving a girl, upside down, in a bathtub with no water as supposed download sites for illegal copies of software when n00bs would log onto IRC and request them.

#63... Did that to the webmaster at Bell Helicopter. A group of us went back to his desk and asked him a long drawn out question to distract him and when his screen saver kicked in he cursed like a sailor. After that happened to him a few times we busted out laughing and told him to read the screen the next time it "blue screeened"

#64... back in the 90s I worked with a guy that would one-up anyone every time. We called him "better man" and I put a hidden startup sound on his Mac. It was Carly Simon singing "Nobody Does it Better". Nobody would tell him how to get rid of it and it was still there 3 years after I left that job.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

NICE!

I supported desktops before the days of VNC, but we still managed to mess with people. It was NT 4.0 and one of the few things we could do remotely was edit their registry. We would use this function to change the wallpaper on "troubled" users. I recall setting one old guy's wallpaper to a picture of a goat with bows in its hair. He go REALLY pissed, but figured one of the guys sitting near him had done it while he was at lunch. He had no Clue it was IT.

Another time, we had upgraded the RAM in about 400 machines by adding a 64mb dimm that was on a blue circuit board. We experienced about a 10% failure rate (serves the IT manager right for buying cut-rate RAM), and after a while, we ran out of spares. Until more came in, we simply swapped the bad "blue" RAM into trouble user's computers at night in order to use their good RAM to get more appreciative users back up and running. They would whine about their computer crashing, but at least it kept them too busy to submit tech requests for us to restore files they accidentally deleted (again), reset their password (again), defrag their drive (because their cousin told them it should be done weekly), or connect them to a different network printer (even though there were simple instruction on how to do it taped to every printer).