Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NTAXS autocross #5, 10/17/2009, Mineral Wells Airport

Default NTAXS autocross #5, 10/17/2009, Mineral Wells Airport

The North Texas Autocross Series (NTAXS), sponsored by the North Texas S2000 Owners Club (NTS2KOC), is hosting our fifth autocross of the season on Saturday, October 17, 2009 at Mineral Wells Airport. You can find a map to Mineral Wells Airport here: http://mav.pca.org/Autocross/MineralRing.htm. The entry fee is $30 per person and you must pre-register at http://www.dlbracing.com starting Friday, October 2nd. There is no on-site registration. The event is limited to 60 drivers, so sign up early. Please join us for a great day of racing and fun.

You get eight runs at NTAXS events, so you will make four runs in the AM session and four runs in the PM session. Unlike SCCA-style events where you return to grid and wait for the rest of the grid to complete their run prior to starting your next run, at NTAXS events you immediately return to the starting line after making your previous run in order to begin your next run. You are, of course, allowed to briefly pause between runs in order to tend to your car (such as checking air pressure, watering down tires, and so on), and there are usually enough people in your run group (typically eight drivers) that you will have a short wait, anyway. In order to preserve consistency, we cannot allow special concessions for those who prefer an SCCA-style routine.

8 AM – 9 AM Check-in, Registration, and mandatory Tech Inspection
    (You must arrive in time to have check in and pass tech inspection prior to 9 AM)
    8:15 AM – 9:30 AM Course open for walking
    9:15 AM Novice Meeting (mandatory if new to NTAXS events)
    9:30 AM Drivers Meeting (mandatory for all)
    9:45 AM First car out
    (45-minute lunch break between morning and afternoon heats)

Car Classing is based on engine size:
    - Class 1/1R is for engines under 2.3 liters, except Honda S2000 and Lotus
    Elise/Exige.
    - Class 2/2R is for engines over 2.2 liters, but under 4.0 liters, plus Honda S2000.
    - Class 3/3R is for engines over 3.9 liters, plus Lotus Elise/Exige.
    - Class S2000 is only for Honda S2000 on street tires.

Rotary engine multiplies displacement by 2.0. Usage of forced induction multiplies displacement by 1.5. (This is in addition to the rotary multiplier, if applicable.) Tires with a wear rating under 140 must use the R class.

View the rules and additional information at http://www.s2000.org/nts2koc/autox.shtml.

Contact me at jrj512 at dfwmx5 dot com for more information.

Our sixth event of 2009 will be held in the parking lot of Pennington Field in Bedford on Saturday, November 21st. Look for more information in November. A venue change is possible for the November event because of potential high-school football playoff games.

Question

Can I get a readers digest version of the above post?

Man you NTAXS kids love to use lots and lots of words for no apparent reason.

Registration is already open.

We will have a few special features in this event's course. The start will be an 1/8th mile drag (albeit, with one car) and go into a sweeper. Too bad that we do not have an extra set of timing lights for the eighth mile in order to establish bragging rights. Later in the course, you will encounter an exact replica of Hammerhead from the Top Gear test course. For Hammerhead, I used aerial images from Google to plot out the hard points and cone placement. Be the Stig! Outside of the start and Hammerhead, the rest of the course is designed by guest designer Robert Jones, so it should be pretty exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Registration is already open.

We will have a few special features in this event's course. The start will be an 1/8th mile drag (albeit, with one car) and go into a sweeper. Too bad that we do not have an extra set of timing lights for the eighth mile in order to establish bragging rights. Later in the course, you will encounter an exact replica of Hammerhead from the Top Gear test course. For Hammerhead, I used aerial images from Google to plot out the hard points and cone placement. Be the Stig! Outside of the start and Hammerhead, the rest of the course is designed by guest designer Robert Jones, so it should be pretty exciting!
    Wow sounds fun. Have yall ever done an exact makeup of the track from top gear. If not it'd be fun as hell to see what our modded cars can do against some of their top power laps. But I bet minerals wells probably isn't even large enough for that.

Quote Originally Posted by BenRomans04 View Post
    Wow sounds fun. Have yall ever done an exact makeup of the track from top gear. If not it'd be fun as hell to see what our modded cars can do against some of their top power laps. But I bet minerals wells probably isn't even large enough for that.
    Mineral Wells is not large enough for the Top Gear Track, but even if I just shortened the straights to make it fit, there is still the figure-eight to deal with. The Top Gear course is a giant 8. It would be a one-car course and a long day.

Driver

I wonder if you could borrow a second set of timing lights to get the 1/8th mile times... but with a sweeper us scaredy cats will have to slow down :)

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    I wonder if you could borrow a second set of timing lights to get the 1/8th mile times... but with a sweeper us scaredy cats will have to slow down :)
    Some of the faster cars should run up to mid 80 to 95 mph (c6Z06) so you'd definitely need to slow down for the sweeper. You wouldn't get a true 1/8 mile time since you'd probably be braking before the 1/8 mile point.

No idea what the Elise would run but my fastest pass in another car was 8.52 @ 83mph at the Denton 1/8 mile.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

We can just sit soemone down there with a stop-watch and make it their work assignment.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

POS is springing for a couple of these FTW
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I'm in!

in
    I learned this the hard way.....

Take all of your valuables out of your car at night. This includes taking the mounting hardware off of your windshield or dash and hiding the power supplies. I lost over $ 1,000 to a thief with no hope of recovering my items and to top if off they smashed my window in the rain and my truck got soaked. Let my loss be your learning experience.

The weather forecast looks good, so far. Clear and 70s.

in. my first ntaxs event and my brother is coming out to drive as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vetteblues10 View Post
    in. my first ntaxs event and my brother is coming out to drive as well.
    I assume you are in a Vette. You'll kill us on the start. I look forward to hearing that V8 at full throttle!

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I assume you are in a Vette. You'll kill us on the start. I look forward to hearing that V8 at full throttle!
    haha actually he is in a VW GTI like mine, but he will still be faster then the miatas in a straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    haha actually he is in a VW GTI like mine, but he will still be faster then the miatas in a straight line.
    As I was reminded last weekend at ER, even the Yaris might be faster than a 1.6 Miata in a stright line.

I will not attend as my honor has been tarnished after Jimmy Jan crushed me in my own car at the last NTXASS event. Plus I will be at the fair eating fried baby seal fat covered in coke syrup and bacon-butter.

Looks like New Braunfels for me and the wife. Would love to go though.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    I will not attend as my honor has been tarnished after Jimmy Jan crushed me in my own car at the last NTXASS event. Plus I will be at the fair eating fried baby seal fat covered in coke syrup and bacon-butter.
    Did I ever tell you about the 2009 Houston Tour...

Quote Originally Posted by bnordin View Post
    Looks like New Braunfels for me and the wife. Would love to go though.
    Just send the Son-in-Law. We'll take care of him.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast