Thread: Looking for a good machine shop

Default Looking for a good machine shop

Well, I am currently sourcing an IHI VF35 and a spare IHI VJ35 Turbine Housing. I will need a good machine shop with the capability of machining the VJ35 Turbine Housing to accept the VF35 Turbine within normal (IHI) clearances. I will have the whole VF35 and the VJ35 Turbine Housing to give the shop.

This will be in the next month or two. As they say, choose 2: Time, Price, Quality. I'm not on a schedule (within reason), and the budget has some wiggle room, but I mainly want quality.

All that said, does anyone have a shop to recommend?

For a straight-up machine shop, I generally use Arlington Automotive Machine, 511 E. Main St., 76010. PM me if you'd like their phone number. They would likely outsource this kind of work to someone else.

For turbo stuff, I usually source my bits from Majestic, also in the mid-cities area. I think you can find their address on this site somewhere if you do a quick search. I no longer have any receipts with the addy or contact info.

I know Day Custom Engine is popular with the local Miata crowd. That shop does work for TDR and built a motor (for a very reasonable price, I might add) for mr brg. This is the shop I'll be using for the bottom end of my replacement engine.

Hope that helps!
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Is this housing not available without machining?
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

forced performance talk to amber
    http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/hjgl-1-1.jpg
    MONSTER TRUCK! ready to be dropped....

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    Is this housing not available without machining?

It is something I am trying to put together. It may or may not work.

Essentially take the MSM VJ35 Exhaust housing and attach it to the larger WRX STi VF35. It needs to be machined to clear the turbine. Not a big deal, but necessary that it is done right.

Thanks for the links! I'm having issues getting a hold of the VF35 currently, so it may be a few months.

However, my Hydra 2.6 is in the process of being installed... Looking forward to that!