Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toyota's FT-86 concept

Driver

I had a tC (the first year even). It was the most trouble free car I've ever owned, got good gas mileage, peppy around town (tall gearing), held a ton of crap, was good for road trips (took it to Florida one year).

If this is funner, right wheel drive and as trouble free then it will be a pretty decent car. Now it's sure to be heavy and numb compared to what everyone on here wants, but for 99% of the populace it will be perfect.

If it is half as good a value as my Yaris was, it'll be a great car. I do hope they don't back-off too much from the purpose of the concept.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    I do hope they don't back-off too much from the purpose of the concept.
    Oh they will tone it down a ton since it is a Toyota.

How long has this freaking concept for this thing been floating around.

Yea Toyota it's time to get off the titami mat and try something new! You know like Hyundai is doing.

But I do agree with Goofy my Toyotas have been soulless but reliable appliances.

I'm sure it will be available in several shades of light brown that all have fancy names...just like a Camry. In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing what actually comes to market.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Default Saw one of these up close

Saw a few of these at the Toyota World Convention we went to. A bit smaller than a Scion TC, and they looked fun on the road course. I really like them, especially after seeing them in person.

Good up close shot.

Group shot

Size comparison

Bonus Shot:
    Akio Toyoda driving a Traxxas Slash
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

You suck Daniel.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    You suck Daniel.
    I agree. Jealous.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/16/subaru-brz-concept-sti-la-2011/

S
    ubaru's Version (A concept anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post

What's the little red convertible in the background? Looks like a Tesla?

EDIT: Just did some google image hunting.. definitely looks like a Tesla, I guess I was just surprised to see it at a Toyota event, I didn't realize they were affiliated. I was kind of hoping it was a new MR2 that Toyota has kept really secret

I saw on Facebook were Terry at Vorshlag got to peek at a Subi version this weekend -> http://www.vorshlag.com/blog/?p=296

Any word on what class these Subotas would be in SCCA Autocross??

Might make sense in GS or CS and STX. I'd lean towards CS and get the Genesis out of there too, but SCCA seems to have a habit of putting a class killer in GS for a few years, then moving it up (like the Mini S)

I have to admit that this car really piques my curiosity, as does the new Genesis Coupe Turbo.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I'll admit that I'm really interested in this car as well, but I'll wait for the inevitable STi/TRD version.

As for this versus a Gen Coupe - the Gen coupe is 600-700 pounds heavier, and a LOT bigger! Size comparison:

The white Gen Coupe looks gargantuan next to the FT-86. Basically, this is the hard top MX-5 that Mazda never made... with an extra 40 horsepower.

An S2000 isn't shown, but for comparison's sake the S2k is 162.7 inches long.

Give me a version with ~250 horsepower that will fit 17x9 wheels and it would be a hardtop S2000. It would also probably be my next daily driver.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Driver

Iain, I sat in one this weekend (well the BRZ) with Fair! and the Vorshlag guys... the back seat is worthless. The trunk is small. There will be no bringing race tires to the track in it. You'll be hard pressed to bring a small cooler, foldout chair and a jack. The driver's position is very nice. The clutch feels non-existant.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    Iain, I sat in one this weekend (well the BRZ) with Fair! and the Vorshlag guys... the back seat is worthless. The trunk is small. There will be no bringing race tires to the track in it. You'll be hard pressed to bring a small cooler, foldout chair and a jack. The driver's position is very nice. The clutch feels non-existant.
    Tire trailer? It's almost as small as the NC, it would be really impressive if they managed room for an extra set of tires in there.

I'm sad to hear about the clutch feel though..

So when are these things being released to the general public??

I know a guy who has a 2009 RAV4 that's lease ends in June.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    Really? Huh. Subaru has been touting that it will hold a spare set of tires primarily for weekend track/autocross use:

From Automobile Magazine:

It’s great in other ways, too -- it’s 9 inches shorter than the Cayman, but seats two additional people. The BRZ’s front seats are highly supportive and very comfortable, though the rears are for very short trips or very short passengers. Still, they’re there, and the rear seatback folds (as one piece) allowing enough room for a set of track tires, according to Subaru. That’s cool.
    Of course, most people wouldn't believe that you can fit a full set of 285s in the back of an RX-8, either.

As for rear seat and trunk space - it's the size of an S2000! I'ts nine inches shorter than a Cayman. I don't expect to fit a family of four and their luggage in it. FWIW, it's rates at 6.9 cu. ft. of trunk space - the RX-8 had 7.6, and I was able to fit what I needed in that car.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Driver

Man if you're going to fit OE size rubber... maybe. But real rubber? Maybe if you put 3 wedged in the back and one in the front seat. And remember no suicide door to help get it in. It was tight (and SHORT) back there (I sat in the back).

You will struggle to get a forward facing car seat into the rear. And if you did, you will quickly lose headroom for your kids (and they'll have no legroom). The rear seats are a very deep bucket, but even still I had to have my head at a 90* angle to fit.

It's a nice car. Perfect for a college kid or unattached younger guy. If this will be your only car and you have to comfortably haul kiddos and a wife it ain't happening.

Meh. My wife has the SUV, which means I am free to drive whatever makes me happy. I haven't had a baby seat in the S2000 since Melissa retired.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Meh. My wife has the SUV, which means I am free to drive whatever makes me happy. I haven't had a baby seat in the S2000 since Melissa retired.
    Ferrari 458 Italia?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Ferrari 458 Italia?
    We're waiting on you. You're the baller around here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast