Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hold On - A Cup Holder Query

Default Hold On - A Cup Holder Query

No doubt, what we have in our cars stock should be labeled a 'can holder', and even doing that job we get the goofy shift. I've searched here, there, everywhere and really the only solution I see for locating a cup holder, or holding something larger than a can, is that fold out job that we see in our local Walmart and such. Most suggestions, are to screw one of these to the passenger side of the console (with the seat in the forward-most position and all that). Screwing cheap plastic into my decent condition console really doesn't seem like the best solution.

What inexpensive solution have you tried that allowed for a 20oz bottle, or how else have you used one of the collapsables without putting holes in your console?
    Bryan
    1991 Mariner Blue | I Hate Everything

This one does not look cheap at all and is relatively TCB! Most of us have this in our cars.
    Gabriel

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Folding cupholders FTW! My favorite solution.

LINKIE

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Folding cupholders FTW! My favorite solution.

LINKIE
    Thats what I have.

You can also fit a cup between the back of the seat and console, and shorter ones between your ass and console.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Version3 View Post
    No doubt, what we have in our cars stock should be labeled a 'can holder', and even doing that job we get the goofy shift. I've searched here, there, everywhere and really the only solution I see for locating a cup holder, or holding something larger than a can, is that fold out job that we see in our local Walmart and such. Most suggestions, are to screw one of these to the passenger side of the console (with the seat in the forward-most position and all that). Screwing cheap plastic into my decent condition console really doesn't seem like the best solution.

What inexpensive solution have you tried that allowed for a 20oz bottle, or how else have you used one of the collapsables without putting holes in your console?
    In the NB I know there is a hole already in the console for a screw to hold it in. Just use that, dont drill another hole in your console.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    In the NB I know there is a hole already in the console for a screw to hold it in. Just use that, dont drill another hole in your console.
    +1 That one screw works fine. I have just been putting my water bottles between the console and passenger seat lately.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    On the NA as well. (You'll probably need to replace it with a longer screw)

Sammm, that thing is $35! Really not TCB. The one I had was $12.50 (now $14.95) works just as well.
    Gabriel

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    Sammm, that thing is $35! Really not TCB. The one I had was $12.50 (now $14.95) works just as well.
    Look closer! That's $35 for 10! :)

Yeah, it's marked as $14.95 on there, but is there REALLY any difference from that and the $5-7 models you can find in town? The longer screw appears to be the difference. I'll probably go this route, but it definitely is function over form in this case.

I suppose one day there by be a more elegant solution, but who knows where they'd try to put it.

But it does answer my question really, this IS the solution that most use for larger (other than creative shove-in-between solutions).

I bought this '62 Beetle once that had some heavy interior wear, and the easy solution was some nice southwestern styled blankets (it fit the worn look of the car for the most part). Best of all, by not fixing it, I could fold the passenger blanket back, and the hole into the seat springs made an excellent Red Bull can holder!
    Last edited by Version3; 10-16-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: More to say, of course!
    Bryan

Late to the party... but i have a folding style one from Griots
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...+cup+holder.do

Nicely built and holds my big and small starbucks cups tight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There is one I actually like. Nice!
    Bryan

Get an OE NA ashtray, remove the top & flip it around, then reattach. Works great for the standard 20oz bottles. It also won't get in the way of your passenger's left knee.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post
    Get an OE NA ashtray, remove the top & flip it around, then reattach. Works great for the standard 20oz bottles. It also won't get in the way of your passenger's left knee.
    Yeah, it will only get in the way every time you shift a gear, lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    I have just been putting my water bottles between the console and passenger seat lately.
    That's worked the best for me.

I had a flip down one with only the one screw and it moved around and eventually fell off.

Decidedly NOT TCB, but...

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

And I love the console in yours... but does it hold bigger than a can?
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Version3 View Post
    And I love the console in yours... but does it hold bigger than a can?
    Nope. I've learned to buy drinks wisely...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Damn Tricky you actually have that console? That was my next purchase, I HATE YOU! I was actually going to post that console as a solution but it's expensive...KG works if memory serves correctly?
    1991 Mariner
    2003 Tahoe
    2004 Hayabusa
    1989 YSR50
    1997 SC300

Quote Originally Posted by sxk122 View Post
    Yeah, it will only get in the way every time you shift a gear, lol
    Your arms are obviously far too long to be driving a Miata. I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a small fee.

Quote Originally Posted by 2004Busa
    Damn Tricky you actually have that console?...KG works if memory serves correctly?
    IL Motorsports. It's hidden in one of the many lines of his sig, so I don't blame you for not seeing it in there. heh
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast