Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NASA Time Trials

Default NASA Time Trials

Anyone interested in running in the NASA time trials starting next year????

From TrackJunkies.org:

" The challenge is to prep your car to stay in TTE class , If we make minimum participation numbers , we will be eligible for Hoosier , Toyo , Hawk , ect. contingencies.

TTE gives you plenty of room to mod , try different combos , different tires , tire sizes , power adds , ect before you cross over to TTD ... NASA TT is a big deal in some regions , but it has minimal participation here so we are pretty much creating our own series.

I'm not sure about cost , but I think it's $ 180 for one day / $ 320ish for the weekend. Each day represents an event. I think you get 4 sessions per day ( double SSCA )

The prep burden is easy , the licensing is easy , it's open passing , but it's also very uncool to make metal to metal contact .... and for you guys that tend to go off track often , when you drop 4 wheels , you loose your times for the session.

Here's the schedule :

Jan 30/31 MSRH
    Mar 13/14 MSRC
    Apr 24/25 TWS CCW
    Jun 12/13 Hallett ( oh yeah )
    July 30/1 TWS CW
    Oct 2/3 Eagle's Canyon

What do you guys think ?"

Driver

You have to get a TT license before you will be able to compete. There are varying responses as to how many HPDEs you must accomplish before you'll be granted a license. You could go many, many years of HPDEs and never be granted a license (at a cost of $300+ a weekend).

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    You have to get a TT license before you will be able to compete. There are varying responses as to how many HPDEs you must accomplish before you'll be granted a license. You could go many, many years of HPDEs and never be granted a license (at a cost of $300+ a weekend).
    I actually heard that licensing was easy to get..........

Driver

haha better not bring that up to the guys that run NASA. I've heard that if you have a decent name in the community, your check off rides might be less than vigorous, but the rules say that it's not an easy process.

Of course, they want to fill fields too.... sooooo....

haha better not bring that up to the guys that run NASA. I've heard that if you have a decent name in the community, your check off rides might be less than vigorous, but the rules say that it's not an easy process.

Of course, they want to fill fields too.... sooooo....
    True and my field is tiny in the region, supossidly.

it's easy if your a good driver with experience, may take longer for a bad driver with no experience. def. the easiest of all sanctioning clubs if you are a competent and safe driver.

i'll be in ttb in my turbo '95 miata next year. my back up car is a ls/turbo swap crx. hopefully it's not needed, but i'm not taking any chances this year. guy that won my class last year drives a cayman s. i dominate him every time i'm on track with him. this year, i had trouble with my car at the start of the season, then got a promotion at work and missed the last couple events too. the only one i was able to attend was tws in april. i think i had him (cayman driver) by a couple seconds. my real comp. will be a friend from the valley in his supercharged/race gutted carrera 4s! i'm not sure how he's in my class, especially on hoosiers, but we are always battling at any events we go to.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolin2bars View Post
    it's easy if your a good driver with experience, may take longer for a bad driver with no experience. def. the easiest of all sanctioning clubs if you are a competent and safe driver.
    I have heard this same things from many other drivers that have their TT license.

I plan on trying to race my Mustang in TTC once I get my suspension.
    Stuart F. Maxcy
    STR 82
    NC Miata

The I think the two important things they look for in a license are if you're dangerous to yourself (and others) AND you pay attention to the corner stations. I think if you go to the HPDE and make sure they know you want a TT license, they'll watch you closer and it if you don't "off" every session, you're in good shape to not take long to get the license. You don't have to be the fastest guy out there, just someone that doesn't cause trouble.

What about getting a "real" license from the Local SCCA Region. It will open the door to more opportunities to compete. Price seem reasonable compared to Commercial Driving Schools.

Dec 4-6, TMS

Just the messenger about the SCCA event.

Looks like I would be in TTB in my M3. I might give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolin2bars View Post

i'll be in ttb in my turbo '95 miata next year. my back up car is a ls/turbo swap crx. hopefully it's not needed, but i'm not taking any chances this year. guy that won my class last year drives a cayman s. i dominate him every time i'm on track with him. this year, i had trouble with my car at the start of the season, then got a promotion at work and missed the last couple events too. the only one i was able to attend was tws in april. i think i had him (cayman driver) by a couple seconds. my real comp. will be a friend from the valley in his supercharged/race gutted carrera 4s! i'm not sure how he's in my class, especially on hoosiers, but we are always battling at any events we go to.
    You're right, how is that car in TTB?

What time do you run at MSRC?

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by hancheyb View Post
    The I think the two important things they look for in a license are if you're dangerous to yourself (and others) AND you pay attention to the corner stations. I think if you go to the HPDE and make sure they know you want a TT license, they'll watch you closer and it if you don't "off" every session, you're in good shape to not take long to get the license. You don't have to be the fastest guy out there, just someone that doesn't cause trouble.

Crap I'm out!

I may run a few events in TTD/TTC next season. Just have to see what's in the budget.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    What about getting a "real" license from the Local SCCA Region. It will open the door to more opportunities to compete. Price seem reasonable compared to Commercial Driving Schools.

Dec 4-6, TMS

Just the messenger about the SCCA event.
    that's a good deal. super cheap. but a nasa competition license is as "real" as an scca one. only problem i see with those type of schools is the guarantee of a lic. to someone for showing up and completing the class. i've seen many newbs go get a comp. lic. that way and end up being dangerous out there at an event. you can't teach experience, and i think someone needs to attend some slow hpde group 1, green group, whatever you wanna call it, events, before going to something like that. lol......... there are some crazy new smiley faces to choose from.

Driver

nasa competition (i.e. w2w) is not the same as a nasa tt license (ie. hpde+).

Just to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    You're right, how is that car in TTB?

What time do you run at MSRC?
    i think i could have won ttb this year had i made it out to all the events.

i'm not sure, i'll find out in a few months. i've only been to msr-c once early this year and i didn't have a lap timer at the time. how fast is gary from track dog racing? i would guess i'm within a sec. or so of his avg. lap times. he was the only car i was holding up on the straights, and was equal in the corners. i was able to pass everyone else in the advanced group on my third and last session. maybe mid to upper 12x.xx second range?

nasa competition (i.e. w2w) is not the same as a nasa tt license (ie. hpde+).

Just to clarify.
    correct, sorry, i should have mentioned that.
    not sure what doors a competition lic. would open for you anyway unless you have an actual racecar with a full cage, safety equip., suit, and a hans device.

I just think it will be great fun to be able to really "race" with others rather then the hand singal thingy....

Quote Originally Posted by BenRomans04 View Post
    I just think it will be great fun to be able to really "race" with others rather then the hand singal thingy....
    Apples vs. oranges Ben. The only way you're going to "really race" is with a competition license, roll cage, and all the safety gear. There has never been a guarentee of a license after a 2-day driving school, and anyone who hasn't done many HPDE evnets would be a fool to think otherwise, not to mention a danger to everyone. Until then, one will not be able to handle W2W at racing speeds within inches of cars all around you. It looks fun and exciting, and it is, but is not to be taken lightly. Check out some Spec Miata videos and you will see what I mean
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast