Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ich harddog bar is acceptable for track play but not competition?

Default ich harddog bar is acceptable for track play but not competition?

i do not compete in any events yet am trying to be cost effective in my shopping. will simply the hardbar pass for use at msr or ecr or do i need the hardbar sport? thanks :)

It is really going to dependant on what each track and the group holding the track day have set for a standard.

I know I have run track days in the past with no roll bar at all just the hardtop on the car.

Do any of you track junkies have any insight on roll-bar requirements?

Unless it's one of the clubs that makes your helmet be 2 inches below the rollbar, my hardbar has worked for me to run top down at every event I've been to. Some may make you run with the top up.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

That should work for most events. The only track that required something more was Laguna Seca, where we had to have a bar with rear bracing (like a Hard Dog Hard Bar Sport or Hard Core).
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

If you are going to buy a roll bar get the one thats SCCA approved that way you are covered if you want to do a SCCA event. The little extra cost is worth it in added safty. It will save you money in the long run not having to buy a 2nd bar when yours is not good enough. Safty is not were you want to cut corners and save a little money.
    Last edited by Robert; 11-17-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Robert,

Technically, the SCCA does not apprive roll bars. However, you should buy one that is built to the SCCA General Competition Rules (GCR) guidelines.

The Hard Core is GCR compliant, don't know about the Sport. The basic hard bar (2-point bar without rear supports) definitely isn't, and some organizations won't accept a 2-point aftermarket roll (style) bar.

I would suggest at least a Hard Dog Sport with the rear supports and at least one diagonal. I had a Hard Core bar with double diagonals and never had any issues at any track I went to.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

So Altiain the ones listed as Solo 1 compliant would be your best bet??

Good Stuff below:

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Robert,

Technically, the SCCA does not apprive roll bars. However, you should buy one that is built to the SCCA General Competition Rules (GCR) guidelines.

Yea, Yea, that's what I ment

I don't know if you have any interest in autocross but for SCCA events you can run without a roll bar in stock, ST and SP classes but you cannot run with a roll bar that does not meet SCCA requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Robert,

The Hard Core is GCR compliant, don't know about the Sport. The basic hard bar (2-point bar without rear supports) definitely isn't, and some organizations won't accept a 2-point aftermarket roll (style) bar.

I would suggest at least a Hard Dog Sport with the rear supports and at least one diagonal. I had a Hard Core bar with double diagonals and never had any issues at any track I went to.
    The Hardbar is a 4 point, not a 2 point and is not a style bar. Thank you drive through.

Is it the best bar, No, but is better than nothing. I chose mine because it was less hacking away at red carpet, etc. Plus it was cheap.
    Last edited by Sharpie; 11-17-2009 at 02:00 PM.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Thumbs up

for the time being i dont plan on traveling with the miata to any other tracks because i already have a track car, its just down for the moment... although the thought is intriguing...very...in fact... hmmm....yall are putting evil miata thoughts in my head now LOL!

and thanks everybody for all the feedback, if there is more to be said go for it, i appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    but you cannot run with a roll bar that does not meet SCCA requirements.
    I have seen Stylebars etc, run at SCCA events.

Also probably more non-Solo1 compiant bars at AutoX and Track days.
    My Deuces aren't.

Seems any real bar is safer than no bar or a mousetrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I have seen Stylebars etc, run at SCCA events.

Also probably more non-Solo1 compiant bars at AutoX and Track days.
    My Deuces aren't.

Seems any real bar is safer than no bar or a mousetrap.

They should not have passed tech and they may or may not pass in the future. They do not have to meet the GCR rules just the rules in the solo rule book for autocross.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    The Hardbar is a 4 point, not a 2 point and is not a style bar. Thank you drive through.

Is it the best bar, No, but is better than nothing. I chose mine because it was less hacking away at red carpet, etc. Plus it was cheap.

Where are points 3 & 4? The seatbelt anchors?

Generally speaking, a 4-point bar is a main hoop with two rear supports. You can argue that the Hard Bar technically contacts the frame in four places, but any track that actually has a roll bar requirement is going to tell you to go pound sand.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Go pound sand iain. Yes the bar does go down behind the seat. My point was it's not a style bar. Thanks anyway.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Aww c'mon Chris - you get snippy with me, but I can't get snippy with you? Love ya buddy!

I didn't mean to imply that the Hard bar was a style bar. I meant to imply that any 2-point roll - or style - bar would not pass muster at any track that requires rollover protection.
    Iain

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    +1!

IIRC, the Laguna Seca regs required a "6-point" roll bar, and my M2 Sport bar passed muster. So, yes, it turns out that they counted the two points on the seatbelt towers. I woulda called it a 4-point bar. Go figure.

I wouldn't trust a true style bar to do much but mousetrap my ass in a rollover. I'd definitely feel better with Sharpie's Hard Bar.

See?
    Last edited by trickyrix; 11-17-2009 at 05:57 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Nothing to see here folks. Some misreading on my part and some engineer in Iain
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast