Thread: Recommend me a NB hitch

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Default Recommend me a NB hitch

DO IT! picking up a small trailer that will be turned into a tool box / tire tow

Talking

Curt makes a nice hidden hitch so no one can see it at all when you are not pulling the trailer.

Plus you still will have the same rear ground clearance when you make your agricultural runs across the countryside.

BuyCURTHitches.com Price: $227.13 (Curt p/n 11755) You may be able to find it cheaper if ya shop around a bit.

http://sitepro12.sitepro.com/masterl..._11755_INS.pdf

If you do find it cheaper, please post up so the rest of us can see.

Also (thread jack), for use with a bike rack, do you have to use the horizontal reciever version or can you make the "vertical" reciever hidden hitch shown above work?

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I bought a horizontal version so I can use my bike rack. It works. I don't think this one will work without an angled bike rack. YMMV

The POSIII had this hitch, maybe POSRacing will let us know if his bike rack worked with it.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    If you do find it cheaper, please post up so the rest of us can see.

Also (thread jack), for use with a bike rack, do you have to use the horizontal reciever version or can you make the "vertical" reciever hidden hitch shown above work?
    If you want a hitch for a bike rack, consider hard dog also. It appears it isn't as hidden as the curt but it is hardly noticeable. I bought mine off a board member here.

Hitches Online FTW.

Curt angled hitch: $179.95
    Curt horizontal hitch: $169.00

When I had my ’99, I had a Da’lan horizontal hitch. I used it to tow a tire trailer and I also used it with a receiver-style bike rack.

If you want to use a bike rack with your hitch, I think you’ll have to get a horizontal receiver. That said, they aren’t very noticeable, unless you’re looking for it.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    If you want to use a bike rack with your hitch, I think you’ll have to get a horizontal receiver. That said, they aren’t very noticeable, unless you’re looking for it.
    So the Miata hitches are Class I. If I want to use a Swagman XC bike rack, it is recommended for Class II and up only. Is that an actual problem or just a CYA problem for the hitch dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    Is that an actual problem?

Bueller?

Last edited by POS Racing; 11-21-2009 at 03:49 PM.

A class 2 hitch is typically a 2" receiver tube, while a Class 1 is a 1-1/2" receiver tube, iirc.

lLong story short, a Class 2 rack won't work with a Class 1 hitch, and you won't find a Class 2 hitch for the Miata.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I had read the second link before. It sounds like the rack would fit the hitch but the hitch is only "supposed" to work with a load up to 200 lbs. If my bike and the rack weigh 200 lbs., there better be a motor on my bike, first of all. I can see where the rack and a pair of beefy MTBs might be heavy and put a torque on the receiver, but it still sounds like CYA to me. I was really asking if anybody had any problem-free experience with the combo. I don't mean to be a pest, just thought somebody might know.