Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Volt

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    I would like to see a CNG hybrid for commuting to work. This would work in this part of the world since we have an abundance of natural gas. Plug in the batteries and refill the CNG at home. No need to go to the gas station! I believe Honda had a CNG hybrid for CA only, but the program killed.
    One of the great things about this system is that the on-board generator can be any technology -- gas, diesel, CNG, Hydrogen, and so on. They had to go with gas in the beginning because of costs. I would expect to see a diesel version down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Would either of you buy one if they cost $40K? $30K?

That's the bottom line...innovation is a wonderful thing if you can find buyers.
    For $30-35k I'd give it a good, serious look. Even if the electric only range is 75% of advertised in a typical Texas summer, Melissa and I could carpool together and reduce our weekday fuel consumption to basically zero. That has a lot of appeal.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I do not see how this negates what I have previously stated.
    So far the range of this thing has steadily decreased from when they first said they were going to build it.

Wasn't it originally going to have a 400 mile range? What is it now??

Wonder if the Parent Company is going to offer lucrative Tax Breaks to help make it more affordable to the average Joe 6 pack.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    So far the range of this thing has steadily decreased from when they first said they were going to build it.

Wasn't it originally going to have a 400 mile range? What is it now??

Wonder if the Parent Company is going to offer lucrative Tax Breaks to help make it more affordable to the average Joe 6 pack.
    While some of the first media reports were confused by the info and may have mis-reported it, I think Chevy's original 400 mile claim was for combined electric and gas... I.E. you would go 50 miles on electric and then another 350 on gas. As they went from theory to prototype to production testing, the numbers have gone done a little. The latest claims I have heard are 40 miles electric followed by 300 miles gas, for a total range of 340 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    While some of the first media reports were confused by the info and may have mis-reported it, I think Chevy's original 400 mile claim was for combined electric and gas... I.E. you would go 50 miles on electric and then another 350 on gas. As they went from theory to prototype to production testing, the numbers have gone done a little. The latest claims I have heard are 40 miles electric followed by 300 miles gas, for a total range of 340 miles.
    And the best thing is, you can just fill it with gas, again -- you do not have to wait hours for it to charge.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

And the best thing is, you can just fill it with gas, again -- you do not have to wait hours for it to charge.
    ummmmmmmmm....that's what I have now.

Talking

LOL!

Yep, but if you plug it in at home each night, you get zero-emission (from the car) usage for most of the trips you are likely to take in a day. Can what you have now do that? You get the best of both worlds -- electric use for most people's daily usage and an on-board generator for those longer trips that you occasionally take.

I am very happy to see my money go to innovations such as this.
    I appreciate your opinion on your money, but they did not ask the rest of us. If you like your money to be used for this type of innovation, please donate more of your tax money on April 15. There is a spot for this and you can write it off as a tax deduction.

The Government Bailout money did NOT go for this innovation. This technology has been in the works for several years prior to GM management running it into the ground. It went for Union workers. If General Motors would have filed for bankruptcy before the bailout, the contracts with the unions would have been significantly changed. However, the money came before the bankruptcy and when the new contracts were negotiated, it had little reductions in benefits for union workers. Therefore, OUR money went to protect voters for the current administration.

Private sector would/should spend the money for this kind of innovation. The current government spending crisis is bankrupting our present and future generations. How come when you and I run out of money, we cut back on many things, but the government grows with less money to pay for these things.

Sorry for my rant, but many of us already pay and exorbitant amount of taxes every year, along with my choice to give as much to different charities and causes throughout the year.

My rant off!!!

Wow $41,000 for a VOLT now that's a shocker!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/27/2...-3-year-lease/

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Wow $41,000 for a VOLT now that's a shocker!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/27/2...-3-year-lease/
    If Jimmy would give up chicken and waffles out of state, he would probably buy one!

Just for comparison purposes - The Toyota Prius starts at $22,800... Ford Fusion Hybrid's base price is $28,100... A Malibu LTZ lists at $29,500 with a V6.... Cadillac CTS's base price is $35,165.00... Lexus ES350's base price is $35,175.00...

$33,500 after the federal tax rebate, which isn't much more than a typical loaded Accord or Camry or other mid-size sedan.

$350/month lease for 3 years seems pretty attractive, though. That's the same that Nissan is charging for the Leaf, and since the Leaf is a true EV (no IC range extender), it has zero long trip capability. Also, the Volt can be charged from a standard 110-volt outlet (8-10 hours for full charge), wehreas the Leaf requires a special 220V charger, which is not included with the base price of the car.

Melissa and I have been seriously thinking about a Volt for her, since 99% of her daily driving is less than 40 miles total. Depending on what the real world range is (in 105 degree weather with the a/c on full), it could be a real winner for us.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Wink

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...e-tax-rebate/1

I'd rather not be the first on my street to try something new from Chevrolet....

Here are some example of why!

Is the 41K after the government cheese?
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    Is the 41K after the government cheese?
    No....

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    $33,500 after the federal tax rebate,
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

If they would throw in a $4,500 cash-for-clunker rebate in with the deal I just might buy one!
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

You may be saving on gas, but electricity isn't free... If a good percentage of people actually start using hybrid/electric vehicles wouldn't the energy companies take advantage of the situation... I believe they would, it is America after all... It would over the next generation or so just be tranferring the strong hand in fueling the nation's automobiles from the oil industry to the energy companies, maybe forming monopolies... And honestly maybe 1 and of 10 Americans sincerely care about the environment, honestly.. And while I definitely believe that alternative resources such as hydrogen-power and eletric motors are the future, the transition from gasoline is not gonna be all rainbows and butterflies...
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

If the all-electic cars are successful, which they are bound to be, prices should drop somewhat in a few years, right now you are just paying for the breaking technology.. I would hold off for a price drop for at least two years if anything and most importantly let the manufacturers work out all the kinks that I would bet good money on the cars having...
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Driver

Yep, Priuses used to be more $$ and now they are cheaper.

Personally, I think moving the emissions from millions of autos to a handful (relatively) of power plants is significantly better for the environment. Also here in TX we have pretty cheap electric compared to other places so the hurt to your electric bill won't be too terrible IMO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast