Thread: Got hit (minor damage), good excuse for fender flares?

Default Got hit (minor damage), good excuse for fender flares?

First off, no injuries.

I was coming down the center turn lane to turn at the intersection. The traffic was backed up and two nice people were letting the jeep come out of a gas station to turn the opposite direction. He wasn't exactly inching out.....

Ended up doing a perfect 180.

His insurer is State Farm, so we'll see how that goes.

My money is on they offer to total it and I end up haggling with them for the next 2 months (see list of mods below).

So is this a good excuse to get fender flares/widebody?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Ouch....glad you're OK.

Flares are great if you have the wheel offset to take advantage of them.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Flares are great if you have the wheel offset to take advantage of them.
    +1
    Don't go there unless you are planning to upgrade to an appropriate wheel/tire combo at the same time.

Would 15X8's or 15X9 6UL's be enough or do widebody's need some extreme combo of offset and spacer?

Also which type? I think there is a guy in Houston (rHarris) making Tucking 99 flares or something similar.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Finally got a rental on Sunday (Ford Tarus/Fusion). Appraiser looked at the car today and gave me an estimate for $2,448.

Now time to haggle with the State Farm rep.

Chris

Soooo State Farm finally got back to me. Took the car to Jeff's here in ATX (last Monday) after it was inspected, twice. When I took it up there the status of the claim was "a check is in the mail so just pick a body shop".

Thursday rolls around and I start playing phone tag with a completely new SF rep. She calls me back today and saws that they are cutting the rental off tomorrow.

They are offering $3,270 (after TTL) - $409 salvage = $2,681 total.
    Tired of them yanking me around, gonna call my insurance and see what they say. She said I can fax her the receipts but they only consider things that add value (yea right).

Chris

UPDATE:
    Check incoming from SF for $4,100 to keep the car.

I told them it would've been cheaper just to fix the dang thing.

I haven't found any Miata interesting enough to replace it so I'm going to fix it as of now. And then probably buy some safety equipment before making it faster.

Chris