Thread: Dyno done

Default Dyno done

I finally made it up to Denton last Friday to get my car on the dyno. It came in at 95.5. Not great, but I guess it could be worse. I will be trying to do it after I do any engines mods, so I can report actual results.

Where in Denton did you get this done and how much did it cost? I would like to know how much HP mine has to get a baseline for future mods.
    99 Miata Black

http://www.atsracing.net/

They have done a few dyno days for the group, but I always seem to be un-available when they do it. The charge $45 for 3 runs if you mention DFWMiata.

Kewl!!!
    I look forward to doing that on a discount day, If im not mistaken mine should have like 136 HP stock, but I wanna double check it
    99 Miata Black

My stock 2000 was about 110 stock....

really?
    I cant remember where I read that,... maybe I am wrong. wouldn't be the first time for sure.
    99 Miata Black

At the more recent Dyno Day, most of the later 1.8L (with the variable valve timing) were hitting around 118-120 at the wheel. My 2004 was only getting out 105. I'm hoping this was due to the fact that it hasn't been quite broken in yet with only 7500 miles on it.

YMMV...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    Kewl!!!
    I look forward to doing that on a discount day, If im not mistaken mine should have like 136 HP stock, but I wanna double check it
    Perhaps you read at the crank?

I think the 136 is the "at the crank" number... Knock 15-18% off of that for driveline loss and that's what you'll see on a dyno..

I'm thinkin I may end up going up there this weekend for some numbers..

anyone else interested?
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    I'm thinkin I may end up going up there this weekend for some numbers..
    Just an FYI... they are normally not open on the weekends. Aaron had told me that he would be willing to come in if I asked nicely. I decided not to make him drag his butt in to work on his day off, so I waited until I had a week day off.

ah.. I see...

Well, I don't really have the time for that most weekdays. I'll probably just head over to the Quick-Kar like usual this time in that case.

Default Re: Dyno done

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I finally made it up to Denton last Friday to get my car on the dyno. It came in at 95.5. Not great, but I guess it could be worse. I will be trying to do it after I do any engines mods, so I can report actual results.
    Wow, Chris' BRG, turned 95 also if I remember correctly. Mine turned 98.7. I believe Chris had 150k on the clock, I had 214k. What trips me out is your compression was WAY better than mine, wasn't it? All I had done at the time was an FM cat and Borla exhaust. Guess that's good for 3hp.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    Wow, Chris' BRG, turned 95 also if I remember correctly. Mine turned 98.7. I believe Chris had 150k on the clock, I had 214k. What trips me out is your compression was WAY better than mine, wasn't it? All I had done at the time was an FM cat and Borla exhaust. Guess that's good for 3hp.
    I have a Racing Beat Exhaust, but a stock cat. As for the compression being higher, I have had several people tell me that being as high as I am is a bad thing... caused by carbon build-up. I picked up a can of Sea Foam to clear out the carbon. Now I need to find a place to do it. I hope to do another compression check to see how it affected it, but I don't think I will spring for a Dyno to check for change.

but I don't think I will spring for a Dyno to check for change.
    I wouldn't either.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

As for the compression being higher, I have had several people tell me that being as high as I am is a bad thing... caused by carbon build-up. I picked up a can of Sea Foam to clear out the carbon. Now I need to find a place to do it. I hope to do another compression check to see how it affected it, but I don't think I will spring for a Dyno to check for change.
    What were you compression numbers again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazda Service Manual
    Compression:
    1,324 kPa ( 13.5 kgf/cm2, 192 psi)-300 rpm
    Minimum:
    932 kPa (9.5 kgf/cm2, 135 psi)-300 rpm
    Differential limit between cylinders:
    196 kPa (2.0 kgf/cm2, 28 psi)

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    As for the compression being higher, I have had several people tell me that being as high as I am is a bad thing... caused by carbon build-up. I picked up a can of Sea Foam to clear out the carbon. Now I need to find a place to do it. I hope to do another compression check to see how it affected it, but I don't think I will spring for a Dyno to check for change.
    What were you compression numbers again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazda Service Manual
    Compression:
    1,324 kPa ( 13.5 kgf/cm2, 192 psi)-300 rpm
    Minimum:
    932 kPa (9.5 kgf/cm2, 135 psi)-300 rpm
    Differential limit between cylinders:
    196 kPa (2.0 kgf/cm2, 28 psi)
    The first time we did it, it was 220 across the board. Then we did it again at WOT and got 210 across the board.

The first time we did it, it was 220 across the board. Then we did it again at WOT and got 210 across the board.
    Another thing to consider is the accuracy of the gauge itself. While you may have some carbon build up I would think it would take quite a layer of carbon to bump the compression. Anyone know where we could get a bore scope we could look inside & see!

Anyone know where we could get a bore scope we could look inside & see!
    I hope tailchaser isn't planning on incorporating one of those into the TCB FogBuster Cork he is working on!

Anyone know where we could get a bore scope we could look inside & see!
    I hope tailchaser isn't planning on incorporating one of those into the TCB FogBuster Cork he is working on!
    Maybe not, but he'll need to incorporate some sort of pressure relief valve for safe operation.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw