Thread: Mini-USB car charger

Default Mini-USB car charger

Where could one find a hardwire mini usb car charger setup?

I'd like to find something that would allow me to have the mini usb in the center console so I could charge my cell while it is playing GPS.

What kind of phone? Do you already have a USB to mini-usb cable? Belkin (and many others) make 12v to USB adapters, some of which even give you secondary features like flashlight or whatever (Sosche has one like this). This is the kind of setup I was using for my iPhone before switching to my current head unit.

As far as mounting one in the center console, there are some pass-through kits for USB (possibly even mini) that you may be able to make a 'mount' out of that I've ordered from Allied Electronics in Fort Worth. You'd have to check the current catalog for all of the offerings.

If you wanted to do something cheap, get a 12v to USB from MonoPrice and hide that in the dash/console, then take a standard USB2 cable and adapt it back to USBA (or use a USB extension type cable) giving you a receptacle that you could actually hard-mount somewhere. That might be nice looking when you are unplugged. There are a lot of possibilities. MonoPrice is a good cheap place for looking for ways to create your own solution.

Someone may offer a complete MiniUSB off the shelf, but I've not run across one. Having standard USB may give you more options down the road anyway.
    Bryan
    1991 Mariner Blue | I Hate Everything

Sprint Hero phone

I got a car charger but it is in the way I'd like to hardwire the setup so I can just keep the cord in the center console.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Can't you just cut off the 12v accessory-plug and hardwire it in? 1 wire to fuse-box (switched if it were me) and 1 wire to ground.

Aren't usb devices 5V? If you hard wire a mini USB to 12v without a power converter you will fry the device you are plugging it into.

Also there are 4 leads in a USB plug. Power (+ and ground) and data (+ and ground) use the wrong pair of wires and you also risk frying the device.

Driver

most cig chargers have some electronics in them to step down to 5v.

What I did was go to walmart and buy a cig lighter receptacle and wire it into the console (hidden) and then just use the normal adapter coming out. I wired in a laptop this way actually.

I got a hardwire from gpscity.com

http://www.gpscity.com/gilsson-bare-...wer-cable.html

There are some cheaper options, but this one is a lot less bulky. The "Garmin" branded adapter has a very large voltage regulator brick, so if size isn't crucial, get that from amazon for $12.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

You could just buy that 12v to USB I posted at MonoPrice for a $1.16 and take that one apart. Attaching leads to the existing 12v side wouldn't result in a wiring to the wrong USB terminals.
    Bryan
    1991 Mariner Blue | I Hate Everything

So tailchaser's plan is the best so far.