Thread: Spyware authors should rot in hell....

Default Spyware authors should rot in hell....

OK...

The wife's PC was slow... crashing... and popping up with windows all over...

After finding over 220 items on it with the old Ad-Aware (couldn't download the new one with all the popups)... Ad-Aware removed them but there were links into the IP stack in Windows... After removing all those spyware files, none of the IP aware apps would work!

Upgraded the OS... tried removing & reinstalling the network card drivers, the IP stack in the Network Control Panel... tried cursing... magic wands... nothing worked...

Well, if you have Win98/98SE/ME there is a program out here that will remove the winsock files and registry entries... reboot... reinstall them... reboot and POOF! It's working again.

Updated to the new Ad-Aware SE 1.05 and cleaned off the rest of the crap from her PC and it's humming along nicely now.

Just thought I'd post that URL in case one of you run into the problem of spyware removal breaking your PC.

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Using Mozilla/Firefox has helped me avoid a lot of adware crap.

Quote Originally Posted by mpolansky
    Using Mozilla/Firefox has helped me avoid a lot of adware crap.
    Exactly... I use nothing but here at home and at the office. However, my wife still uses AOHell... it's free for her... but a royal pain when it comes to viruses and adware.

I'm a big fan of Spybot Search & Destroy. It catches some stuff that AdAware can miss, and it comes bundled with a piece of software called TeaTimer that pops up a control window anytime something on your system tries to alter the registry. In other words, no registry changes can be made unless you specifically approve them each time they happen.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Here at work, we're beta testing Micro$oft anti-spyware. So far, it seems to work great. Though the irony of Micro$oft producing anti-spyware is down right funny... Download/look HERE
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    Here at work, we're beta testing Micro$oft anti-spyware. So far, it seems to work great. Though the irony of Micro$oft producing anti-spyware is down right funny... Download/look HERE
    I'm using it too... Wish I'd seen Giant's product sooner, as it works GREAT.

Another program to add to your "toolkit" is Hijackthis. I had a friend whose browser would go to a home page and you couldn't reset it. This program quickly and easily fixed his problem after Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy didn't help his particular problem.

Here's another vote for firefox also.
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

We just installed Hijack this after one of the nastiest hijack programs found its way onto our machine it took my wife 2 days to fix it.
    I would personally like to take an inch of skin off them every 10 minutes until they have none then reub them down with ben gay.
    99 Miata Black