Thread: Rally School!

Default Rally School!

We had four Miatas in our Rally School last year, and several more enter our rallies. Maybe there weren't more because some of you weren't sure you knew how to do it! So here's the cure: the 2010 Rally School.

The school will be held on March 6th at No Frills Grill & Sports Bar in SW Arlington (4914 Little Rd Arlington 76017, 817-478-1766). Registration and lunch will be from 11am to 1pm, with the school beginning at 1pm. You'll get to take a short drive to illustrate course-following skills that you have learned.

To register for the school, please log on to: tinyurl.com/RS10msr

The cost is $10 per car (2 people). Extra students: $5.
    Children under driving age: free.

We look forward to seeing you there.

For more information and our 2010 schedule of fun rally events, go to www.texasscca.org/rally.html .

Is this a dirt or tarmac? Or do you have both kinds of events? Are these time rallies or fastest time wins? Is an SCCA licence required?

If tarmac, are these timed on a closed course, or basically parade laps in adherance to local laws and speed limits on a predetermined open-traffic map drive along? If dirt, are these less than 4 hours dive from DFW?
    Last edited by Nexus Flux; 02-21-2010 at 07:05 PM.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Hehe I don't think it's a real rally NF. I think it's a "pay us to learn our quirky scavenger hunts so you can pay us more again to do them".

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Hehe I don't think it's a real rally NF. I think it's a "pay us to learn our quirky scavenger hunts so you can pay us more again to do them".
    This... I think I'd have more fun geocaching.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I had a feeling, just wanted to make sure. I remember hanging out at my dad's friend's shop working on (and drooling over) real really cars. North East "real" Rally FTW!!
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Well, you are not ALL wrong....these are "real rallies," but high speed won't win. They are not scavenger hunts, but real tests of skill, but it requires skill from the co-driver as well as the driver. We have seven rallies after the school, all different in some ways. Two involve map reading, one requires some simple time-speed-distance calculations, one is a charity question-and-answer rally, and one is a National Championship rally that happens to end at Texas Motor Speedway. One goes way out in the country towards Possum Kingdom, and another visits two flight museums and required you to figure out some puzzling questions about the planes and other exhibits, with a challenging drive inbetween. You can run all of these without the school, but if you want a trophy, you had better come. You will be eligible for a trophy in our year-long championship if you do well, and can even earn points in the national SCCA RoadRally Championship.

If you have not done this then shut it.
    It is quite fun, i just wish I had the time to dedicate to this.
    Barbara and I took the class and had a ball running the course.
    Its a good time spending time together topless.

Cara and I did it and we didn't like it.

I've done a dozen or so TSDs. They can be fun, but they are not motorsports events. They are far from a performance or stage rally.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

These are fun, challenging and I wish I had more time for them.

If you want to play in the dirt, SCCA calls it rallycross.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Blog Entries

The wife an I enjoyed our first rally last year. We'll have to miss the school, but look forward to more competitions as the season progresses. Any reason to get out and drive in pretty weather is a good one for us!

Regards,
    Piff

I've been hearing that Dave Carapetyan of Rally-Ready in Austin is preparing a rally school course at Harris Hill in San Marcos. It's supposed to be a performance rally school on dirt and gravel.