Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LSC BMWCCA AX #1 - Mar 13, 2010

Reminder:

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    When you arrive at the event, you will notice that the paddock area is on an incline. In order to make it easier for those that change tires, I suggest that everyone park parallel to the incline (facing north/south), which is perpendicular to the parking spaces. This way, cars are not facing up/down hill. Also, if you are a tire changer, there is a strip of cement along the far right side of the course map that is pretty level. Bring a wheel chock of some kind if you are changing tires.
    Also, do not forget to note the instructions on the map for getting to the lot.

I had a good time. I did not like the course on my first few runs, but then it grew on me. Just like the event last weekend, the morning runs where tough with the gravel, but the touch-ups at lunch took care of it. A lot of the gravel was from the events last weekend, so we are just sweeping the same gravel each weekend. I think a good cleaning would fix the place up. Perhaps the SCCA will cover that when they have their Divisional there in July, since they will have to have a clean course.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I enjoyed it too. The course flowed well for the most part, but there were a few tricky bits to mess with you.

I liked the course but maybe we should have run it backwards so we could have finished straight and away from the people and the van...at least until BMW buys a LLLOOOOONNNGGG cable!

Fun and challenging course. I really enjoyed it.

We've got a lot of tuning to do to get Vo's S2000 where it needs to be. We'll be on fresh tires for the next event and will start to play with swaybars some. We ended up with a really bad slow speed understeer problem.

On a side note, we did a side by side comparison of the width of the Toyo and Dunlop. Both were on a 17x9 wheel. The 245 Dunlop Star Spec was the same width as the 255 Toyo R1R! Looking forward to 255 star specs on the car.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I had a good time and enjoyed the course. The nc is very different from my nb and will take some time to get used to. I mainly need just seat time. :)

It was a fun course. I blew out the power steering on my second or third run in the afternoon. What a mess! Fluid all over the driver side of the engine bay. Cut the belt off and drove it home, no problem.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Indeed fun track. First time for me to use 3rd gear, which was great, but forced me to brake/shift down/turn tight almost at the same time. I'll need to practice that maneuver more...
    Here are some pictures I got during the first run afternoon.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mail.coh...eat=directlink

Here is one way not to drive Saturday's course, courtesy of my evil twin Sir Spindrift McSpinalot:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfMl5afzwzw

Fortunately I didn't have the logger on for my demonstration of the other way not to drive the course, i.e. the fun-run where I became "that who hit the timing lights." I give thanks to the guy who built the nearly indestructible aluminum housing for the sending unit I hit.

Here is one of the few quick runs I had in the afternoon (68.710):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKEzvWEKMw0

I had a blast. Great course. It wasn't difficult to navigate in general. The only critique I have is that the two walls of 4 cones in the box after the first big turn should have been a line of 4 lay downs - it was the main place where there were DNFs. The big straights and the fast backside section gave you plenty of room to hang yourself. Either you lost time by coming off-gas too early or you blew the corner by staying on gas a little to long.

Sean
    Last edited by sean; 03-14-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Results

FTD even with a

I wonder which one???

I guess I like the full results better. It shows more
    information on how a driver improved during the day.

I think that is important for people just taking up the sport.

Clip 1 was run 1 rear tires at 31 psi, I had a DNF even before the spin. Clip 2 was run 7 with a 69.655+0 w /rear at 34 psi. There was still another second or two left on that time, but after the spin and my ABS having ice mode issues, I did not always have as much confidence as I should have. Also I need to get much earlier and quicker with my steering inputs.

On a side note, last time Thomas drove my car he was about 4 seconds faster then me in my own car, this time he was only one second faster then me. So I am getting faster, but I am still slow

Good driving Greg and thanks for letting me take the GTI for a fun run! I was very impressed with the setup. I think a low 67/high 66 was out there in his car. I ran a 68.2 in one run while fumbling to find the shifter buttons.

I'll go on the record saying that I will no longer make fun of Greg for complaining about missing a shift with his "flappy paddle" gear shifter. I missed about 5 shifts during my run in his car.
    Last edited by Miatamoto; 03-15-2010 at 01:02 PM.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I give thanks to the guy who built the nearly indestructible aluminum housing for the sending unit I hit.

Sean
    You are welcome! That little box is really "boxy but good."
    Mike Valant
    '94 Miata (daily driver)
    '03 MINI Cooper S (autocrosser - yeah I know, they're backwards! )

http://www.txwerks.com

My first autocross ever! I had a blast!
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    FTD even with a

I wonder which one???
    If that run was in the afternoon, from corner 4, I saw you come out of corner 2 and a cone went flying up in the air!

Thanks. At least I killed the cone with style.
    Video and sound did not tell me this time.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    If that run was in the afternoon, from corner 4, I saw you come out of corner 2 and a cone went flying up in the air!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12