Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget Bumpstops

Default Budget Bumpstops

Blew a rear shock on the POSIV and it was driving worse and worse. Other items are a priority now so no budget for the car.

So I went down to Mazda Nissan Heaven and found a couple of '93 LE Bilstiens for $40.00 they aren't leaking so they look better than what I have.

Here is my question the bumpstops on the Bilstiens are toast, but I have a set of NB bumps stops, can I put these on the NA shocks and make my own TCB Fatcatish style setup?

More Stuff (Big picture - sorry)

Not sure how much travel you would have without the NB shock hats at the same time. If you could find those you would definitely have a decent ride.

Mix 'n' match the bumps? Sure, since you've already got 'em handy. However, you might find that your rear ride height is a bit lower than OE when using NA Billies...even on NA top hats. Shorter shock body and all that.
    What year is the IV again? If you happen to have 96-97 rear springs handy, they seem to lend themselves to a taller ride height than earlier springs, which might level things out.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

The POSIV is a '94

Here is one of the bumpstops off the Stiens it is toast.....

Here are one of my NB bumpstops.

Blog Entries

The fat cat bumps for the LE and R Bilsteins are 46mm for the rear. It's not the length on the FCM it's the material. That being said, almost anything will work as a temp fix until you get your priorities straight.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    The fat cat bumps for the LE and R Bilsteins are 46mm for the rear. It's not the length on the FCM it's the material.
    Yea I know the material are different figure the 58 mm lengh of the NB bumpstops should give me more than enough protection from wedging them down, I hope....

TCB $40.00 rear Bilstien shocks FTW!! IMHO my priorities are perfectly aligned.

Blog Entries

True. The NA bumps have a steel washer molded into the top that fits over the ring.Does the NB? If not I think you will need a 10mm fender washer between the ring and the tophat for the NB bumps. Good luck.
    Stripe Das Sape

PM sent to ya POS.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

i got 4 new foam bumpstops from resuspension.com new for like $40...I'd recommend them to anyone :)
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

OK so got all the parts bolted in the POSIV and took her for a spirited run. Man the old shocks must have been really bad it is a huge difference on what I had before.

Ran across some speed bumps and hit a couple of dips at speeds higher than I'd normally travel and the NB's bumpstop took all I could give it and just kept going. (The fronts were thrilled but hey what can ya do )

OK so it is picture time!

Here is only decent bumpstop to come off the back of the car vs. the NB stop. The measure virtually the same height, but the original is cracked and compacted from what a new one should be.

Creek Brought up the possible need for a fender washer but the NA hat didn't appear to need one. I did take the original washer of the old bumpstop and used it and as you can see there is a decent surface for the bumpstop to ride on.

Old vs. New(er)

Installed
    I didn't use a boot for 2 reasons
    1. I didn't have one
    2. I can see if I any issues easier.

Blog Entries

Looks good. I think the washer is really to keep the ring from wearing/punching a hole through the tophat on a square edged pothole. I am thinking about going with the FCM spec Miata NB tophat conversion.
    http://fatcatmotorsports.com/igaller..._MT_KIT_SM.JPG
    If I do you can have my old FCM stops.
    Stripe Das Sape

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    Looks good. I think the washer is really to keep the ring from wearing/punching a hole through the tophat on a square edged pothole. I am thinking about going with the FCM spec Miata NB tophat conversion.
    http://fatcatmotorsports.com/igaller..._MT_KIT_SM.JPG
    If I do you can have my old FCM stops.
    Sweet! I'll take em.

Wife and I drove around for a nice long ride this afternoon the car rides much better!

Update just won a set of front Bilstiens off a R package Miata on Ebay and with the addition of Creek's FCM setup I'm anxiously awaiting to see the results!

The rears have been working great no issues at all and the car rides and autocrosses better than before! Yipie!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by POS Racing; 04-17-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by miata_racer View Post
    i got 4 new foam bumpstops from resuspension.com new for like $40...I'd recommend them to anyone :)
    https://www.resuspension.com/cart/home.php?cat=334

These look a lot like the FCM bumpstops!

Yes it is Back from the dead! The POSIV on hard turns has been rubbing the top of the front fender liners since I finished the last round of budget bumpstops.

And now I'm pretty sure I got a something going on with one of my rear bilstien shock now...

So I'm rethinking my current setup still love the Bilstiens just don't like all the scraping and grinding considering this sucker is riding on its OEM springs!

POS Racing, I might have 2 of these at home. Let me know if they will work, I can bring them to the next autocross for you.

Alan
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

Now that you told everyone on the internet what you have done.

What about reading the rules.

I could not tell from the picture. Is the top of the
    spring riding on metal or a rubber pad?

D. A suspension bump stop is considered to be performing the function
    of a spring. Therefore, the compressed length of the shock at the
    initial point of contact with the bump stop may not be increased from
    the standard part
    , although the bump stop may be shortened for the
    purpose of installing non-standard shocks. Bump stops installed ex-
    ternally and concentric with the shaft of a shock may be drilled out to
    fit a larger diameter shock shaft. Bump stops may be substituted for
    the purposes of installing non-standard shocks.

Cheater car!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast