Thread: WTB a 9mm for the wife

Default WTB a 9mm for the wife

Just curious if someone might have a compact 9mm, the wife wants one for home protection, figured I would ask here if someone had one they wanted to part with.

Thanks
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze View Post
    ...figured I would ask here if someone had one they wanted to part with.

Yeah, I had a wife that I parted with.

Fortunately, she didn't have a 9mm.

How compact are we talking. If we are talking strictly home defense and not a concealed carry piece IMO she would be better served with something larger than a compact. Something at least Glock 19 sized. Longer sight radius, higher capacity mags (though the G26 will take all Glock 9mm mags) generally easier to control with less recoil.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I still believe the best home defense weapon is a pump shotgun. Just the sound of the slide should send any sane bad guy running for their life. The rest will be easier to hit and as jeepinbanditrider pointed out, longer sight radius is a good thing. On top of that, they are much less expensive.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

+1 I bought a mossburg house brand shotgun for like $180 and bought a tactical (pistol grip with adjustable butt) grip for mine. Can go from short home defense length to to range length in no time :)
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    I still believe the best home defense weapon is a pump shotgun. Just the sound of the slide should send any sane bad guy running for their life. The rest will be easier to hit and as jeepinbanditrider pointed out, longer sight radius is a good thing. On top of that, they are much less expensive.
    The last thing you want to do in a home defense situation is alert the bad guy to your location. It may work on a teenager looking to score a flatscreen, but in a true home invasion scenario you're just letting them know that you have weapons, where you're located, and that you don't even have the presence of mind to keep a round chambered in a home defense weapon.

Also, at HD ranges (say up to 20') the spread of buckshot is negligible. Last time I fired 00 out of my 12 gauge, it was at 30' and the spread was about 2-3". You still have to aim precisely. Plus a shotgun, if it's legal length, is more cumbersome, lower capacity, and harder to maneuver in confined spaces.

Plus, contrary to popular belief, a shotgun WILL penetrate several interior walls with buckshot loads. Not as much as a typical 9MM or .45ACP, but it will.

Just some things to think about. My primary home defense weapon will always be a pistol + Speer Gold Dot HP's unless the doodoo REALLY hits the fan... then I'll be carrying my AK around.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Cant go wrong with a mossberg 88 (maverick), $180out the door. I have a pistol grip for mine, but haven't installed it. From what I have read your wife will not want to shoot a pistol grip 12ga. If i hear someone in the house the mossberg with #4 buck is what I would grab. But FWIW the last time my dogs woke me up with 'that bark' I grabbed teh shotgun and went on patrol. I quickly found how cumbersome the shotgun was, and how untrained I was with it. plus I wasn't realy able to run outside with it inconspicuously. Might be too large for a lady to handle.

Might look at a youth size 410. With the right ammo one of those would pack more firepower than any handgun and much less recoil. plus a used one wouldnt be much more than $100 or so.

Now the othernight watching a movie I could have sworn I heard someone in my back yard, grabbed my 9, stuffed it in my belt and went outside. I felt much more comfortable with that.

So a 12ga is going to be much cheaper and in a shit hits the fan scenario and if my door splinters open in the middle of the night that's what im grabbing. But for a bump in the night i'm reaching for my CZ 9mm.

I'm not going to part with it anytime soon but Academy has them for about $430.CZ P07 Duty. 16rd mag and thin enough to conceal.
    4348984561_6ce4c13&#102.jpg

Shoots very tame and accurate. Love shooting it and will carry it soon as my plastic gets here.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 04-04-2010 at 12:22 PM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    unless the doodoo REALLY hits the fan... then I'll be carrying my AK around.
    Absolutely possatively when you have to kill every Mother F**ker in the room AK47

Also I carry a Ruger SR9 it has a 17+1 round capacity with very low recoil. You can rapid fire and still stay on target. Its easy to handle with one manual safety. I have fired well over 3,500 various types of rounds through it and never had any issues. Never had it jam, you can feed it any type of ammo you want and it will shoot all day long.
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    Absolutely possatively when you have to kill every Mother F**ker in the room AK47
    Home defense trio

09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Well I have a winnchester deffender, 18in barrel with Knoxx stock on it, but here's the problem

Even tho the Knoxx stock reduces the recoil by about 90%, I still don't see her shooting it...especially half asleep...that and it would most likely render anyone in the house deaf after one shot maybe even for life.
    It's crazy loud.

I have to agree also that the spread would be nothing in my house, even with the 18in barrel it has a very tight pattern.

She is however comfortable and used to a compact 9mm so thats what she wants.
    I think I may have a lead on one close to me for sale.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Home defense trio
    You've been watching too many zombie movies.

How big a person is your wife? How big are her hands? How much firearm experience does she have?

Get something she can comfortably hold and shoot, and get her to practice shooting it a lot at first, then occasionally. Make sure she is very familiar with the weapon.

Cannot beat a revolver for simplicity.

Get something simple, without some odd safety mechanism. My best college room mate's wife was a very small person. She tried to take on an intruder with a 1911 .45, but they took it away from her and killed her with it. I've had lots of weapons in the home and in the car ever since.
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

JRJ512 your statement is flawed.

You can never watch TOO many Zombie movies
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    You've been watching too many zombie movies.
    Actually I'm just a gun nut

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    JRJ512 your statement is flawed.

You can never watch TOO many Zombie movies
    Very true
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I have a Westy. Best alarm system I know. I will not be giving Mimi a 9MM!!
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

A home invasion story that happened yesterday to a church member. What the article does not tell you is about the details of the
    home invasion. Guy is home during daylight hours and hears banging on his sold wooden door. By the time he gets there, (big house),
    he sees a glassy eyed Hispanic male with no shirt and a lot of tattoos. The invader rushes in and owner trys to stop him by force.
    Fight starts and punches traded. Homeowner gets knocked out of glass door/window. Mean while the crook runs upstairs to hide.
    Runs to an unfloored attic spaced. Yep, falls down through living room with chandelier on top of $5600 dollar table.
    About this time the police arrive. Owner has cuts and black eye. Lucky the intruder did not stab him too.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Polic...-90222412.html