Thread: Roll bars

Default Roll bars

Just curious what everyone's perference is. (forgive me if I use incorrect terminology)

Brand?

Single Hoop (the ones that go completely across the car) or Double hoop (the ones over the individual seats)?

Why did you choose what you did?
    If you're addicted to cold turkey how do you stop?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I installed the Hard Dog M2 Sport (no diags) when I had my '99. I chose it because it had the most headroom.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I installed a Hard Dog M1 Hard Core Double Diagonal. I think it is the strongest and tallest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

What do you want the roll bar for? If you want it for track days, you need to check the rulebook for whatever event organizer(s) you intend to run with and make sure your bar will meet their requirements.

I had a Hard Dog Hard Core double diagonal in my old '99. Even with that bar (the tallest one which would fit under the factory soft top), I still had to make some other modifications to make my car fully legal for track days.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Just a note...taller means it will sit more upright (read: closer to the back of your head).

This may help -
    http://www.bethania-garage.com/image...m1m2hcht_x.jpg

You can see the schematics for all the bars at the website above.

Blog Entries

I wanted a single hoop that would fit under a hardtop. I went with the boss frog clearview for it's quality finish and rear view mirror visibility.

http://www.teammiata.com/mall/Boss_Frog_Single_Bar.aspx
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    What do you want the roll bar for? If you want it for track days, you need to check the rulebook for whatever event organizer(s) you intend to run with and make sure your bar will meet their requirements.

I had a Hard Dog Hard Core double diagonal in my old '99. Even with that bar (the tallest one which would fit under the factory soft top), I still had to make some other modifications to make my car fully legal for track days.
    I would like to add one just because I want my car as safe as possible, the hard dog site has a chart that tells you which are SCCA approved, is that not necessarily correct?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Yeller90 View Post
    I would like to add one just because I want my car as safe as possible, the hard dog site has a chart that tells you which are SCCA approved, is that not necessarily correct?
    SCCA has a rule which uses the 'broomstick test'. If a broomstick is laid across between the top of your bar and windshield header, your helmeted head must be below it.

I just found out at annual tech this year the Miata is exempt from that rule.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I just found out at annual tech this year the Miata is exempt from that rule.
    You sure they busted lost213's co-driver at the SCCA national tour for being about the bar. He could still run but couldn't uses his harness.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    You sure they busted lost213's co-driver at the SCCA national tour for being about the bar. He could still run but couldn't uses his harness.
    I'm almost positive that's what Mr. Neff told me during annual tech. I'll have to double-check with him this weekend.

I'm almost positive that's what Mr. Neff told me during annual tech. I'll have to double-check with him this weekend.
    It was the SCCA National Folks that busted him....

He told me they didn't like how high he was about the bar. I'd bet a haircut would fix most of those issues.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post

Legal for the track.

Based on that "broomstick" rule, I may be ok height wise with most of the different styles, I'm not the tallest guy around.

Thats strange, in most of the pictures of topsy turvy Miata's the windshields fold down, they should run the broom handle from the bar to the dash!!

I got a Hard Dog M2 Sport because...

A) It met all of my requirements:
    1) Compatible with the glass window in my soft top
    2) Compatible with my hard top
    3) Harness tabs vs. harness bar - also needed to clear glass window
    4) 6 attachment points - 2 behind seats, 2 on package tray, 2 on seat belt towers. Should be sturdier if you ever need it, and it may be required at some tracks, YMMV.

B) I found a nice used one for sale. Well... used, but not used used.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Funny thing about this sport and these forums, not much is definitive such as you must have this to do that........... The roll bar seems to be one of these items with little agreement.

Just ordered a HardDog HardCore HardTop for my '05 MSM. On my old '97 i had a custom HardDog bar purchased of a friend of Iain's. Don't think I'll clear the broomstick unless I get my Momo seat from my parents garage and bolt it to the floor again. But yes rollbars like many other things in the miata world are always up for debate as to what is best.
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Believe me I know the whole debating this over that from Cycling. Its basically why I asked the question, to get the various view points.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    It was the SCCA National Folks that busted him....

He told me they didn't like how high he was about the bar. I'd bet a haircut would fix most of those issues.
    From my days in Tech, you could autocross a Miata in Stock, Street Touring, or Street Prepared with a roll bar:

• with non-OEM shoulder restraints if your helmeted head was below the “broomstick line”.
    • without non-OEM shoulder restraints if your helmeted head was above the “broomstick line”.

In other words, the height of the bar doesn’t matter for autocrossing in Stock, ST, or SP, but you cannot use the shoulder portion of a 4, 5, or 6-point harness unless your helmeted head is below the broomstick line. You may still use the OEM 3-point belt, a CG lock, or a lap belt.

For Prepared and Modified Miatas where the windshield can be removed, you must have a minimum four point roll bar that is taller than the driver’s helmeted head. No exceptions.

Track days are a whole different story. Some organizations (PCA) require approved factory rollover protection or minimum 4 point aftermarket rollover protection with a minimum 2” below the broomstick line. Others don’t require any OEM or aftermarket rollover protection at all. Check with whatever organization you plan to run with before buying a bar, if you want to be sure.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw