Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *** CANCELLED *** PCA Maverick Region Time Trial #2 Mineral Wells, 4/17/10

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I am on the fence about Sunday. Do they do walk up registration?
    Yes, but I think it's like $5 more or something.

Thanks.

The Weather channel is giving 70% chance of rain on Sunday, I may sleep in.

Im new but i'll be there.
    Last edited by LePapirrikY; 04-16-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Well, darnit, it ended up getting cancelled.

on my way back to Dallas the rain stop completely...it was nice to meet you everyone in the short period of time we had. See you next time.

I just got an email at the AX is cancelled, too.

That sucks. Thanks for the heads up though JRJ.

I feel bad for miata_racer's Dad, who drove all the way up from Houston.

Blog Entries

Did they not have enough entries or were they afraid of getting their Porsche wet?
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    Did they not have enough entries or were they afraid of getting their Porsche wet?
    They do not have a lot of entries as it is, and with the rain driving some of them away, there just was not enough people. Also, this morning, they tried to drive a car on the course, but it was hydroplaning in some spots at only 50 MPH.

The P-car owners that AX and track their cars are not your stereotypical owner. They are more like any other autocrosser. From what I am told, when one of the gold chain crowd shows up, they usually don't come back because the rest of the owners there lack gold chains, plus they get beaten by a Miata.

True...but ya know what we do when we have rain? drive. If they were worried about entries this week they should have canceled it in advance. Hell I live in Houston and I knew it was going to F-ing rain LOL.

So $300 damn dollars later because some assclown didn't want to get wet pops is supposed to just come back. They didn't even offer a damn refund. WTF???

How bout a $150 credit for time and money wasted.

Sorry this kinda crap is chickenshit. Whoever is in charge needs a kick in the ass and better planning. If you're low on entries cancel 2 days prior. Then we can save on hotel, food, gas...etc....

Ya I'm a bit pissed. I won't be going to any Maverick Region events any time soon.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

I wish I had known it was cancelled before getting up at 4:30 a.m. and driving 2 1/2 hours. At least I didn't drive from Houston for it. The last event I did with PCA was not a good event (the super tight gates PMS event). I will now be very reluctent to go to future PCA events if there is any chance of bad weather.

That's kinda my thought. I was considering going in the miata...but I can't afford to be wasting gas/hotel/food $$$ for events that don't happen because the weenie who runs it is too damn cheap to have rain tires.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by miata_racer View Post
    True...but ya know what we do when we have rain? drive. If they were worried about entries this week they should have canceled it in advance. Hell I live in Houston and I knew it was going to F-ing rain LOL.

So $300 damn dollars later because some assclown didn't want to get wet pops is supposed to just come back. They didn't even offer a damn refund. WTF???

How bout a $150 credit for time and money wasted.

Sorry this kinda crap is chickenshit. Whoever is in charge needs a kick in the ass and better planning. If you're low on entries cancel 2 days prior. Then we can save on hotel, food, gas...etc....

Ya I'm a bit pissed. I won't be going to any Maverick Region events any time soon.
    If you would like to express your opinion to someone with the PCA Mavericks, I believe I can get you a name.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

I've already done so. It's frustrating and I'm over it. I now know (well we both do) that if there is rain forecast to stay home. LOL
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by miata_racer View Post
    I now know (well we both do) that if there is rain forecast to stay home.
    Besides, rain and cardboard to not mix well.

I signed up for the first PCA autoX but stayed home when the SCCA cancelled for snow, and found out PCA ran that day. So, I went out to this event thinking the rain wouldn't stop them. They did say the TT2 & AX2 entree fees could be used on a future event.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Besides, rain and cardboard to not mix well.
    Hey David,
    When I was a kid, they told me they would control the weather in my life-time. I don't see that happening. No one can control or predict the weather.

Any club using that Mineral Wells facility or just about any other rented facility has to pay the rental whether they use it or not. They have to request dates very early in the year. So there is a hunt for dates for different venues. But what I'm saying is no club wants to cancel an event. They lose money...not just on the rental of the facility, but on insurance.

Like Jarret said, the Time-Trial and AX crowd at the Maverick PCA are not posers...they really run their cars...and hard. The man that had to decide to cancel...did not do so in a vacuum. I'm sure he was advised about how risky it was to have so much standing water in a very larger percentage of the track. The man who had to make the final decision towed his car from Irving, and his wife drove her car from Irving also. Not as far as Houston, but it used to take me 2hrs towing from Irving. I'm sure he didn't want to cancel the event. The members running in Porsches also are running for season points. No trophies for each event, but only a season trophy...and it's a big deal to those people. I've watched them receiving their awards, and seen how proudly the one male and female driver put the club provided "1" on their cars all the next year for being the top driver.

David, there also weren't enough people there to run the event. They need at least 16 people...there were way less (I'm guessing 12). It takes 8 people per run group to work the event. And that is not having two people on each corner like they like for safety...but only 1.

They will cancel the event in advance *IF* and only if they don't get 16 people entered...again, because the money for rental and insurance is already spent. I suspect they will not cancel with say 15 in the hopes that some people will show up. But I heard from the registar that they were a good crowd entered...but many did not show because of the rain....not because they're posers, but because they know the safety issue with so much water in such a huge area with no drainage.

YOU had lots of advance notice that the rain was going to be a problem. Maybe YOU should not have made the trip????? Sure you paid entry fee, but you're saying it cost $300...you probably could have cancelled the motel etc, and your truck doesn't burn fuel sitting at home.

I'm not trying to start something...just want you to realize you share some of the responsibility for your loss.

I've been a registar and event master before...and I don't want to do either again. It is a royal PITA. Please don't make it harder on someone you really don't know by blasting them over something they had no control over (the weather). I agree completely with his decision...I was extremely concerned about safety when I stepped out and walked around in 2" of running water. I've driven my Miata in about 1" of water and it was a major handful when I got any speed at all. Remember please, this was a time-trial event...a Miata should reach 95mph on the back stretch on Course 2.

I've heard of talk about the Mavericks build AX courses that have too narrow gates and place pointer cones incorrectly. Keep in mind MAYBE 10% of these people run with SCCA. The Porsche club has so many driving events, these people get their fill just driving in their own club. The narrow gates...I'm sure they do that to make it harder. I've helped setup courses too many times to admit. And *I* know that I try to make it difficult...not easy. Making it flow better by having wide gates is not easy. The double pointer cones on gates is a lack of education on their part. I'll try to enlighten them to the accepted standard...but keep in mind "TELLING" them they have it wrong won't get anywhere. They only have to answer to themselves. I do know from past experience, when someone acts like a know-it-all, they turn off...so do all of you, I'm sure...it's human nature. The people running these events put a LOT work putting them on. They appreciate help making them work. The Maverick region has a "Design an AX Course" contest going. I bet any decent submission will make it. The same tired people have to set up the courses and are burnt-out. IF *YOU* want to see the courses done different, then design one.

I realy hate to see any of you guys turn off and not attend any Maverick TT or AX events. They really are a great bunch of people. Just start talking to them. The poor guy in charge of the TT events loves to talk about the 6 cars he's got...INCLUDING a Miata. But like I said earlier...he's chasing points so has to drive one of his 4 Porsches. This guys is absolutely not rich. He's a truck driver. He does all the work himself, and has to wait for money to come available to buy parts. There are quite a few others that are not rich...but just love a brand of car that does cost a lot. They haven't realized how great Miatas are I guess. But if you've met a few snobs at Maverick events...just keep looking. Hey there usually are several Miatas there including mine now that it is finally running again...er, that is at TT events only...I don't do AX anymore.

Yes, I'm a PCA member, and yes, I really like these people...I have driven 4 or 5 Porsches at events when these people found out my car was broke and I came out just to help out and INSISTED I drive their car. So I can't express how great these people are when you really get to know them. I've been running with them since 1995. And I think all of you guys that I've met are great also. Most car-people that actually race are really the same.

David, I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to start something, I'm not...just hoping to help you see another perspective. I won't able to make the next TT event, but come find me at the 7/25 TT event and say hi...I'm in a red Miata number 186. I'm terrible with names, so forgive me if we've met before.

Mitch

Having gates that are to narrow does not make it "harder" it makes it "worse". It forces cars to all drive the same choked off line with no interpretation left to the driver. I know my 2986 lb FWD hatchback with an open diff can not afford to take the same line as a miata sometimes and the narrow gates ruins any opportunity for me to try something else.

Even if gates are wider there are generally critical points that you have to be close too. If you are that drastically off the line in your interpretation of any course you will be slow, but that is your own fault.

I see your point. Did you see this in my post:

The Maverick region has a "Design an AX Course" contest going. I bet any decent submission will make it. The same tired people have to set up the courses and are burnt-out. IF *YOU* want to see the courses done different, then design one.

We all can complain, but if you want to change it, submit an entry...and keep submitting it. Most course designers will see other designs and take cues from what they see. Just please be polite, and I'm thinking it will work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast