Thread: 1984 Coleman Pop-up Camper - needs CANVAS repair/replacement

Default 1984 Coleman Pop-up Camper - needs CANVAS repair/replacement

I picked this up early last year as a project, but the soon-to-arrive baby has necessitated its departure. This is one of the smaller pop-up campers coleman made (while still being a full pop-up w/ 2 bunks, not an A-frame or mini-camper), and it is really simple and light, so perfect for a smaller tow-vehicle and/or someone who wants a low-maintainence camper with few things to go wrong. It has 2 queen-size pull-out bunks, a dinette that also makes a flat bunk, a moveable table (inside or out), a sink (hand pumped), a 2-burner gas stove, several cabinets, an awning, aluminum door with sliding screen/glass, and not much else. no toilet to mess with (pun intended), no water heater or A/C to leak/fix. It has a nice watertight roof, which is a common fsailure point on these. No roof vent or A/C, which ALWAYS seem to leak. The floor and cabinetry seem solid with no holes or signs of rot. the cable lift system works great, and also shows no issues or bad cables, which also fail on many models.
    The interior fabric is decent, just ugly. A simple cover-over job with fresh fabric and some interior paint would make this very updated, but neither is a must for it to be useable.

The towing lights work, but some lenses are pretty tired. 4-flat hookup. 1 7/8 hitch in great condition, tilt-up rolling height-adjustable tongue stand, exterior hook-up for water, grey water and propane. Also has breaker for hook-up to 110 AC power.

The fabric is rough to terrible, with some dry-rot from being left partially open, and some of it appears to have been chewed-upon. A good seamster/seamstress could make a nice canvas replacement using the original as a pattern, maybe even reusing the screens and window zippers. Patching is a low-budget possibility too.
    A company called Bear Creek Canvas will make a complete, top-shelf state-of-the-art replacement for $700 shipped in 2-4 weeks. They are highly recommneded.

I have a clear title in my name, plates and will register it (expired in December) if desired.

$450 obo for forum members. Asking more when it goes on CL, but you know the drill.
    Pictures to follow.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I would like to see pics of the trailer
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    I would like to see pics of the trailer
    I am not sure you're allowed to have a camper parked in your driveway!
    Gabriel

Well, Mrs. Motorollow says she won't sleep in it (too claustrophobic).
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    Well, Mrs. Motorollow says she won't sleep in it (too claustrophobic).
    I understand, but you might tell her that the ceiling is 8', and the tent portions over the bunks are pretty high, being over 3' tall at their lowest. It is a very open feel, nothing like a ground tent.
    Polished Turd Racing

I think the problem is lack of real windows.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

ahh. Got it. I always sleep with the screens only (canvas open), so I hadn't really thought of it that way. Oh well...
    Polished Turd Racing

Any idea how much this weighs? And external dimensions. Wondering if my LJ will pull it and if it will fit in the garage.
    Last edited by HudsonHawk; 04-15-2010 at 01:06 PM.

I'll get you dimensions and pictures after work. It is VERY light, so light that I pulled it over to Red Oak with my Yaris for a weekend. I move it around my driveway/garage by myself, easily. It will pretty-much fit in the same size space as a Miata. Its a 1984 Coleman Columbia, if you want to google its specs. Also, here is a link to a nice remodel project a guy did for $600 on the same model camper.

http://www.rvhobby.com/2008/05/1984-...ation-project/

Here are the specs from the NADA website:
    COLUMBIA

Length/Width: 17' 6" x 6' 8" (including tongue)Weight: 970Sleeping Accommodations: 6Slides: N/A (this means slide-outs, not the sliding bed ends)Suggested List: 2749
    Polished Turd Racing

Thats definately tempting. Looking for something to camp in and that would be perfect. Unfotunately the CFO is OutCONUS until Saturday for consultation. When are you available for me to come look at it?

Anytime you like. I'll be around most of the weekend. Thinking about doing the PCA Autox in MW on Sunday, but I will definitely skip it if you want to see it Sunday morning/afternoon. I'll pm you my number.
    Polished Turd Racing

Thx for posting the photos!
    Polished Turd Racing

I am going to pass on this one. I really want a teardrop.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Me too, I have plans for how to build one, just never gotten around to it.
    If you're addicted to cold turkey how do you stop?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Buy mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Me too, I have plans for how to build one, just never gotten around to it.
    Buy mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Buy mine.

Buy mine.

um...why are you selling yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    um...why are you selling yours?
    Because we haven't used it in 7 years and don't see ever using it again.

Titus, I would but I really don't want to mess up a nice vintage one like yours by dragging it off-road.

I would also, but I;ve got no place to put it right now, and if I spend the money on that, then there is no money to do upgrades this summer.