Thread: Think my AC compressor is going out

Default Think my AC compressor is going out

With everything going on with having a baby and all I hadn't driven the Miata in 4 or 5 weeks. Finally took her out and other than the fresh oil spot I noticed the car was real sluggish below 4 or 5k. Past 5k it picked up, but not as strong as it should. It bothered me. On the way home from work I dropped the top and decided to shut off the AC halfway home...the car was immediately peppy as she always is. Throttle response, power and overall zippyness was much improved. Clicked the AC back on and immediately sluggish and less power.

I know the ac is a power hog, but this was much worse than normal. Also my AC belt is squeaking when the compressor engages, I thought it was just a glazed or loose belt, but seems like the compressor has been getting more jerky lately along with more belt squeek. is my compressor going out? Is there something I can do to further diagnose (read: free or cheap, my wife isn't getting paid for all of her maternity leave, need to conserve the cash)? I need to get this fixed ASAP, I can't have the AC blow out in the middle of summer.

AC still blows cold, although maybe not as cold as it should, I really don't know, I don't have another miata to compare it to. I always assumed the Miata's AC system sucked anyway.

If someone has a spare compressor for cheap i'll take it off your hands.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

My AC now rocks not sure why folks think it's marginal. I just got done fixing mine and it'll freeze you out of the car. The only way to diagnose for sure is to hook up some AC service gauges to it while the AC is running and check the readings. Without doing that to troubleshoot the system you are just shooting in the dark and flushing money away. The compressor is the most expensive part of the system if you trouble shoot it first it may point to a cheaper part.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

im not really worried about the temperature at this point. I'm sure I could use a recharge, but im just wondering with the power drag that maybe the bearings are wearing out or something like that. I know they can seize up, so it makes sense that the compressor could be my power drag.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

If the bearings were seized up it probably wouldn't spin at all and your belt would be screaming for dear life. If it's not making funky noises and still cooling I wouldn't worry about it for now. And the service gauges check pressure on the high and low side of the system not temperature. Though you can get a steak thermometer from the kitchen and stick in a vent to check that if you want.

It could all be in your head you said you haven't driven the car in a few weeks if you were driving something faster that has more power and is less affected by the AC running it could be throwing your "internal dyno" off and you think it's lugging the engine more than normal.

I've got some low end service gauges but they work. Problem is they are all the way in Mineral Wells.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

Yea i've been driving the Element, it has a lot of low end torque for a 4 banger. I thought about that as well. I do appreciate the offer though. If you're ever on this side of town I'd love to check it just for peace of mind. I'm not too keen on blindly tearing everything apart, so yea whatever I can easily check is great.

Anyone else got a set of service gauges closer to this part of town? If not I could probably make it out to MW some weekend.

I've got a ton of leaky, rattly, and knotchy things to fix...guess just one at a time.

I can bring them with me next week I'm staying in Saginaw to be closer to work I go to MW on the weekends I can just pack them back with me next week.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive