Thread: Nice drive yesterday (in spite of the rain!)

Default Nice drive yesterday (in spite of the rain!)

Yesterday I drove down to my uncle's place near Gatesville - for a steak lunch and a trunk full of free plants (legal plants). Anyhow, I left I-35 at Hillsboro and took TX-22 west toward Lake Whitney. Shortly after I crossed the dam and passed through Laguna Park, I hung a left on FM-219 - heading through Womack and Clifton before making another left on FM-182. And 182 was damn fun - twisting and diving through hills and woods for a good 20 miles before it finally leveled out and hit TX-36.

From my place to my uncle's place it was about 145 miles. In spite of the Google Map's dire prediction of 3+ hours, it only took me 2:15 - staying close to the speed limits due to the rain and lack of a fuzzbuster. It was a great drive with nice scenery once you get past Hillsboro.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Sounds like fun.

I like to take that path through Valley Mills to get to Gatesville 56 south just past the damn.

Also there is a fun route if you go through clifton (which is the route you took) Gotta watch for deer on that route, almost hit one going that way. (On the motorcycle)

To bad some of the best parts (twisty) go through that small town because that would be a nice double-S at speed.

I do like the final part that goes around off camber circle down hill just before you get to the main road getting into Gatesville.
    Blah blah blah!

Blog Entries

It was a great day for a ride today. I went on a route that I haven't done since the 70's. One lap of Dallas county on Beltline Rd. I was amazed at the amount of agriculture still going on in Dallas. The purpose of the ride was to test the completed suspension upgrades so I wanted a variety of road surfaces, I was successful there for sure. Everything went perfect and I only bottomed it hard one time in an 80 mph right hand sweeper with a big dip in the middle. There was no drama at all! Success.
    Lunch off the diet for a reward.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    Off the diet? What are you talking about? I see lettuce!

Seriously... where did that come from?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    It was a great day for a ride today. I went on a route that I haven't done since the 70's. One lap of Dallas county on Beltline Rd. I was amazed at the amount of agriculture still going on in Dallas. The purpose of the ride was to test the completed suspension upgrades so I wanted a variety of road surfaces, I was successful there for sure. Everything went perfect and I only bottomed it hard one time in an 80 mph right hand sweeper with a big dip in the middle. There was no drama at all! Success.
    I have always thought it would be interesting to take that drive. There are actually places on Beltline where you can get away with 80mph? How long did the drive take?

Holy crap! I didn't realize Belt Line went all the way through Wilmer...

Looks like the most fun is to be had between 175 and Lancaster - I haven't been on that stretch.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Holy crap! I didn't realize Belt Line went all the way through Wilmer...

Looks like the most fun is to be had between 175 and Lancaster - I haven't been on that stretch.
    IIRC - that section is all 45mph, old, slick, bumpy, and Wilmer is a major speed trap. I used to go that way to our facility in Lancaster.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I have always thought it would be interesting to take that drive. ...... How long did the drive take?
    For vacation one year, the wife and I took a week and drove all the way around Loop 12.

Only had to stop to grease the wagon wheels twice.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Interesting stats HERE... yes, I'm bored at work today.

Belt Line Road is a loop road that traverses 92 miles (148 km) through 16 cities in Dallas County, Texas.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

I've made that BeltLine ride 2 or 3 times. it takes about 2 hours.

BTW: Do not speed through Wilmer
    Blah blah blah!

Here's Walnut Hill looking south on 75 circa 1959.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Here's Walnut Hill looking south on 75 circa 1959.
    Sweet! Where'd you find that???
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Carazzie sent it to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I have always thought it would be interesting to take that drive. There are actually places on Beltline where you can get away with 80mph? How long did the drive take?
    1:46 The fastest section is in Grand Prairie called FM 1382. Big sweepers. Back in the day I belonged to a VW club when they were all air cooled. Each member would join in the parade when we got near their house and continue around back to where they started. CB radios. At least 10% wouldn't last the trip on hot days.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.