Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a lift in their garage?

Default Anyone have a lift in their garage?

I'm closing on a house next week and unfortunately it only has a slightly oversized 2 car garage and not much other parking (except on the street). I'm looking at putting a lift (probably 4 post?) in the garage. Wondering if anyone around here has done so or if anyone has suggestions on a source/installer. I still need to measure the ceiling in the garage but it's quite a bit taller than standard.

Looking fora local source that can set me up with something like this...

VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

COngrats on the house. You may have to have a new garage door put on or at least new rails installed depending on how the current on is done. Notice in the second picture how much higher the door tracks are on lift side of the garage.

I have a small low-rise lift by bendpak and love it. I got mine used but bought a new pump and hoses directly from Bendpak and they were excellent to work with. I highly recommend them. There are also a few companies that sell on Ebay and are based in Fort Worth... They don't seem to be as well respected as Bendpak but their prices are really low and would give you local support so I would take a look at their offerings.

If you are going with a 4-post, you really don't need to hire an installer as they usually are not bolted to the ground. They can be assembled in an afternoon if you have a few guys to help.

You may want to budget for a new garage door and opener, as you will likely need to convert to a roll-up door to give you clearance to stack 2 cars.

Also check ceiling heights I was unable to add a lift since I had a stantard height ceiling and two cars on the lift would have been taller...... Plus you couldn't have used it for general mainitance since you couldn't walk under the car unless you were oriental.

I even had a neighbor who sold and serviced used lifts but my garage let me down...... Stupid Garage.....

Congrats on the house!

Congrats on the house. I look forward to the party!

In regards to the lift...

Driver

My garage ceiling is really high (almost 9') and it's still not really tall enough for two "real" cars like a Miata and the Evo. You need to measure multiple times to make sure that it will all work with the garage door.

10'-0" or better is usually the recommended ceiling height.
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

Trendar Equipment, Bob Cook. He specializes in used auto shop equipment.....972-247-3456.

Thanks for all the input guys. I will try and measure shortly but I think the ceiling is quite a bit taller than 9 feet. All the doors in the house are 8 foot doors and I think there's probably a good 3 feet above the top of the door frame to the ceiling but I could be confused.

Also I plan on stacking the Elise on top of the S2000 and both cars are fairly short so I should be ok. Now does anyone have ideas for some nice build in garage cabinets and maybe a workbench?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Congrats on the house. I look forward to the party!

In regards to the lift...

LOL, that is using a 4 point scissor arm lift and the guy wasn't smart enough to take the rear pan off to use the 2 rear jack points. I plan on getting a drive up lift anyways.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys. I will try and measure shortly but I think the ceiling is quite a bit taller than 9 feet. All the doors in the house are 8 foot doors and I think there's probably a good 3 feet above the top of the door frame to the ceiling but I could be confused.

Also I plan on stacking the Elise on top of the S2000 and both cars are fairly short so I should be ok. Now does anyone have ideas for some nice build in garage cabinets and maybe a workbench?
    With tracks, overhead door and motor - you should be golden. 12' finished ceiling height is plenty for the Elise and S2K combination.
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

Now does anyone have ideas for some nice build in garage cabinets and maybe a workbench?
    If you want the best, you want Lista.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    If you want the best, you want Lista.
    I looked at their stuff, looks a bit too industrial for a home garage.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

I looked at their stuff, looks a bit too industrial for a home garage.
    All depends on how you do it...

I think mad merv had a 4 post in his monster garage.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Wow Titus, your garage has come a long way!!!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Man that first garage Todd posted it making me drool!. I can't wait till I can get a house and do the garage like I want to.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Wow Titus, your garage has come a long way!!!
    LOL... as soon as I win the lottery! I wanted to do all Lista cabinets like that but had a heart attack when I saw the prices. I ended up doing cabinets and workbench on the cheap, knowing that I would some day re-do it right.

I wanted to buy a Lista rolling cabinet back when I was on the road as an aircraft mechanic. Their short box frame with the wheels and 400lb/drawer ball bearing slides was about $1200 back in 1998. But it is bullet proof. Craftsman/Waterloo boxes tend to crack in the corners on a tar mack and Snapon cost 2-3 times as much.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Look into the cabinets from Ikea. I put in an 8 foot long base and wall cabinet set up on the back wall of my garage. Price for everything, including the black laminated countertop - $440. Everything fit in the MS3 as everything is flat-packed. So no delivery fees needed

I used their base white cabinets (AKURUM/ABSTRAKT) which use the same frames as all their other cabinets and they have a high quality fit/finish for the price. All the doors have the dampners so they don't slam shut which is a cool feature. They also come in a black laminate (other colors are available also) and they have an inexpensive solid wood butcher block countertop for around $60 per 8 foot section (which was backorder when I picked up my cabinets). So I have the black laminated top.

I assembled and mounted everything in a day. They have a cool track mounting system to hang the wall cabinets so its basically a one man job to install.

I'll be adding others on another wall as the budget permits but right now I have a great 8 foot long worksurface and tons of storage in the garage for a minimal outlay of $$.

2000 Miata LS - TEIN FLEX, RB header & Exhaust, Monster CAI, HDHC single diagonal with door bars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast