Thread: My MPV failed inspection...

Default My MPV failed inspection...

Anybody know a good, inexpensive mechanic that works on them? (I'm looking at you, BR ). It's a 2000 Mazda MPV van.

I'm getting a P0106 code which is: Manifold absolute/barometric pressure out of range. I checked the vacuum line running from the MAP sensor to the solenoid and the one from there to the EGR valve and they were clean. However, the vacuum line nipple on the EGR valve was completely clogged with carbon, so I cleaned it out, tested again (after a reset) and.... failed.

So I disassembled the EGR valve, cleaned it as best as I could, reassembled it, reset again, drove another 50 miles and.... failed (the idea being that the valve was sticking).

Welp, I'm out of ideas, so I'm starting to think that the MAP sensor might really be out. It's simple to replace (literally a 1 minute job) but it's a $130 part (aftermarket). To top all this I got a fix-it ticket for expired inspection (go figure) and it's due on the 24th, so I need to do something quick. I'm kind of torn between having the sensor tested and blowing a bunch just to find out that I DO need another one, or risking $130 (at least) and finding out that wasn't the real problem.

Or I could just go to one of those "inspection... GUARANTEED!" places... *cough* , pay the ticket and be done with it.

Thoughts or suggestions?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Driver

are you actually getting vacuum on the line? if you're not getting vacuum, something's still clogged (common). If you are getting vacuum then the sensor's likely on its way out.

Thanks, I'll try those and check the vacuum line again.

EDIT: I'm getting vacuum from the EGR to the solenoid, and not from the solenoid to the MAP sensor. I'll update again once I test the solenoid (I must be doing something wrong).
    Last edited by MadMonkey; 05-09-2010 at 05:33 PM.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Is there any leak in your intake. I would pay attention to the elbows etc. for cracks.
    Gabriel

Not that I can see, yet.

Tested the solenoid, getting vacuum and a healthy click when I power it up. Starting to look like the MAP sensor might really be out, unless it's a wiring problem keeping the solenoid from operating...?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Chassis Designer

Have you tried dumping a bottle of RXP in the gas tank? It has worked for me. It dissolves the carbon. Retail is around $7 at O'Rielly's and Auto Zone, maybe $10 if you get it at Kwik Kar.

I too think you should put a bottle of that stuff or Techron in the tank and give it an Italian Tune Up. After you put the stuff in the tank and try to drive in low gears to get it run close to red line before shifting. This will help clear up some of the carbon build up.
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Anybody know a good, inexpensive mechanic that works on them? (I'm looking at you, BR ).
    I'm too classy to work on a van without a name. Good luck!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)