Thread: Anyone Removed all of the Air Bag sensors in their Miata?

Default Anyone Removed all of the Air Bag sensors in their Miata?

I am looking for anyone who has removed all of the air bag sensors in their NA Miata? Would like to know if this is possible as the car will not have air bags when we finish the engine swap we are doing.

There are a few that have done it and went as far as stripping all the airbag related wiring out of the harness. There is a decent amount of weight to be saved there.

I have not had any airbag stuff in my 93LE since 2000.
    No issues with an engine swap, its a whole different system.

I took out my sensor and it's wiring harness when installing the TDR intercooler. It didn't have the stock wheel in it anyway so no airbag. Just make sure you modify the seatbelt to removed the double over stitching after the airbag removal. It's towards the bottom of the seat belt.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Speaking of weight, I pulled the passenger bag in my 94 to better accomodate a baby car seat, and man I was shocked at how heavy that thing is. It has a thick steel cage and must weigh close to 15lbs, maybe more. Interesting enough the vinyl airbag cover is has a metal backing and just unbolts from the bag assembly. It can easily be put back on the dash with double sided tape or something.10 - 15 lbs weight saved and total time spent would be less than 30 minutes.

This might be common knowledge, but I was surprised when I pulled mine out. Supposedly you can kill the light with the same resistor setup that worked for the drivers bag.

I'm too lazy to go hunting for the sensors and wiring, so I can't comment on any of that.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

What year Miata? 90-94 is different than 95-97 and 99-05
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

The car is a '90. I know the engine swap is separate of the SRS system, just in the past if the Air Bag fuse was missing, the car wouldn't start. This is the direction we are heading, that is to remove all sensors, wiring, computers & related shi ff.

I don't know about all that. when I installed the TDR intercooler I simply disconnected the sensor itself from the main wiring harness via the orange/blue connector and tossed the sensor and it's wiring harness into the parts pile that was piling up.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

90 is pretty easy. The main computer is the blue box above the steering column. Unplug and remove. You can also unplug and remove the crash sensor next to the hood latch. Anything related to the airbag is light blue and orange plugs. Disconnect battery and step on brake to discharge electrical system before working on the airbag system.

As for all the airbag wiring, you're on your own to remove all that. It's a big job. I'd pull the dash, and have a detailed wiring schematic if I was going to do it.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)