Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6UL questions

Default 6UL questions

I got the settlement from last years wreck and it’s time to play!

I’m going to be getting a set of Sexual’s… I mean 6UL’s, but now what size?

I have always been the bigger is better type and I’m considering 15x9 6UL’s with 225/45ZR15’s but I’m open to advise or mocking or whatever about the size.

I have seen the 15x8’s and like them a lot so I would be happy with those and the tire choices are plenty, but about the 9's: On a 1999, the size calculators I have looked at say with the +36 offset and that tire size, it will be only 0.2” closer to the suspension (not a problem), and it will stick out just bairly over one inch farther. Is that a problem? Would I need to roll the fender? This will probably be the deciding factor in going with the 15x8’s. Also for fitment thoughts, I will be adding new springs, shocks, and a big break kit all around, most likely Tein SS coilover’s or the Tein Basic coilover so I will have adjustibility over the ride hight plus I only hear good things about the ride. I won’t be racing.
    Last edited by SilverToy; 06-12-2010 at 07:37 AM.
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

15x8 with no regrets.
    I have a set of the 15x9's with 225/45/15 rs3. On my 01 NB with Tein flex's they looked and fit fine without any modifications to the car. However... you must purchase a set of 3mm spacers for the front or the inside wheels will rub and scrape against the control arms at max turn in. Concentric 3mm spacers will cost you an extra $180 (www.motorsport-tech.com) . The 225/45/15 is a nice tire but does get a little sidewall stretch on the 15x9 so it is the narrowest you can gowithout going taller than stock 22.8 inch. The low cost rs2 and rs3 are quite often on backorder. You will not be able to go down to a 195, 205 or even a 215 for less expensive daily use. Some have said to me the 225 with 9's combo is a little harsh but I did not find it to be. Also to consider is the 1/2 pound extra weight at each corner just for the wheel. The 225 tire itself is IIRC about 3-4 pounds heavier for each corner. Depending on you tire choice with the 9's you will be adding almost 5 pounds of unsprung weight to each corner. I did not think the car felt as light and tossable as it was with the factory Enkies and 205's but it did really stick and took some effort to get a drift.
    For daily driving, fun runs and cost of living expense I would rather have the 15x8 with 205's.
    I drive to fast to worry about my cholesterol.

Thanks CarCar
    Thanks for the info, I was concerned about using the smallest suggested tire as I did not want to go to a taller tire. I had not been given the other information of needing an additional spacer I'll look more into that. If it was primarily sitting in the garage, I’d go with the 9’s without hesitation, but I’m strongly leaning towards the 8’s at this point. But I do want to get a bunch of rubber under it...
    Decisions, decisions…
    Ken
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Why is it necessary for the 3mm spacer to be concentric? If you take that out of the equation, then the spacer is like $5 max.

It's not necessary for it to be concentric but it does help to keep the wheel balanced. The change from a long thin contact patch that is parallel to the line of progression of the car to one that is short and wide and perpendicular to the line of progression will create a noticably more choppy ride when imperfections in the tarmac are encountered.
    I drive to fast to worry about my cholesterol.

I never noticed any difference on my car (spacers on front and rear), so just throwing that out there. I do see how it would be a little better, but that's a huge difference in money.

I just sprang for the 15x8 6UL Nickel's. Now about the tire selection...
    My old 99' My new 99'

The Hankook RS2 is a great all-around tire but it's been discontinued. The RS3 looks tempting to me but it's a 140 treadwear super hi-po tire, so it probably won't last long on the street. Unfortunately, the 225/45 size has become scarce in any brand as of late.

At the last Wed Nite GTG I test drove Titus' 215/45 Toyo T1Rs on 15x8 rims. They looked good and felt great for street tires. I ran a set previously and loved them, but they're not great track tires.

That's my $0.02... :)
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I've been running a pair of the 16x9 on rear with 225 RS-3, nice fit. The plan is to get another pair this winter for the front and spacers as needed. BUT, this 1992 is used for AX only and NOT a street car.
    1992 with JR intake and RB header

Went with the TOYO Proxes T1R 215/45/15 from OnlineTires.com, of course they were back ordered, but I did not get that email until the following day. Not a big deal, they will be in about the same time as the 6UL’s. I did feel that needed to be on the website, if I had been in a hurry, it would have been a problem.

On to the shocks….

Tein SS coilover system, KONI Coilover Kit, Bilstein PSS, Ground Control’s and AJX’s? Other suggestions?

I hear good things about the Tein’s then I hear there the worst thing ever, I had Koni’s “back in the day” (What else were you going to use with your N-50x15’s?) so I have a soft spot for them, Bilstein’s speak for themselves, but they are at the very edge of what I budgeted for shocks, or good old Ground Controls and some AJX’s and put more money somewhere else?
    Remember, street driven, but I like a solid ride that handles. I loved my FM Springs and the AJX’s on my last Miata; I just want more control over ride height.
    My old 99' My new 99'

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

roll your fender, get 15x9s and 225/50/15

left is 50, right is 45.

Well,the 6UL's were just delivered! The website said they were backorderd but here they are! They look better than the pictures. Light weight, the nickel finish fits well against the black paint. Cool. Now the wait for the tires. Unless I can find a set around here then just put the others away for the next time when they show up.
    Any suggestions for coilovers? Street use, but firm ride.
    My old 99' My new 99'

Quote Originally Posted by SilverToy View Post
    Any suggestions for coilovers? Street use, but firm ride.
    You'll find a lot of fans of the Tein products around here. Having a local reseller doesn't hurt any, either. :)
    Depending on your budget, you might find a Koni or Bilstein/Ground Control setup more to your liking.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Blog Entries

I have Bilstein HD with ground control springs. Firm ride and adjustable ride height for about $800. I like 'em.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverToy View Post
    Well,the 6UL's were just delivered! The website said they were backorderd but here they are! They look better than the pictures. Light weight, the nickel finish fits well against the black paint.
    where did you order them from? directly from 949 or elsewhere?

which Generation are they? the newer gens say "6UL" on the face somewhere, the first gen didn't

I have some of the Gen 3 7.5s on order, but they continually push the delivery date back
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

I did not know that they were up to Gen 3. What is the weight on 7.5?

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I did not know that they were up to Gen 3. What is the weight on 7.5?
    no one has seen a wheel yet, but the advertised "target" weight is 12.1#

pay now, order now, get whenever

$152 per wheel with hubcentric ring

I ordered in April for a mid-July date that is now "early August"

original order page said delivery in plenty of time for testing for Solo Nats

we'll see

So, is the 7.5" wheel worth the 2# over the 15x7 RPF1?

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    So, is the 7.5" wheel worth the 2# over the 15x7 RPF1?
    "They" say so with the 225 size, not with 205 or 195

Look at the Hankook thread on scca forums

Hollis says before he'd run a 225 on a 7" he'd change brands

and my RPF1 weighed 9.63# on USPS scales

Well right now looks like the 7.5" is 9.63 lbs lighter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast