Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2010 SCCA SOWDIV #1 July 17-18 in College Station hosted by Houston SCCA

That was the second question I asked. He stated that the later model 2nd gear went to about 72 mph.
    Which he said was shorter gearing than the early models.
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    ...I heard the gearing is kind of weird for auto-x though.

Well done guys and gals! Sorry I had to miss it, but it looks like North Texas was well-represented in College Station!

I've always lusted after the NSX. Cool to see one at an autox.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Link to photos :

http://www.bcsshots.com/
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by autoxmax View Post
    Link to photos :

http://www.bcsshots.com/
    Where are the Saturday shots? I talked to someone out there taking pics saying they would be up on his site but never got the site info. Those are of Sunday only...

Kerry

One thing learned at this event. People working corners on the radio need to be attuned to heat stress and need to be calling for relief workers when a corner worker is overcome by the heat. We need to incorporate this into the worker briefing. My wife, who is a medical professional, suffered through this and on both days we saw workers showing obvious signs of heat distress. On extreme days the safety stewards or someone needs to ride with the sweep car to check on worker status. Having a worker keel over from heat is no different from having one hit by a car.

every club should have water on-site. I've started bringing a case on ice and sharing liberally. At $2.99 for a 24-pack at Tom Thumb, there's no good reason not to have a case at every corner. Except runaway empties...
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    every club should have water on-site. I've started bringing a case on ice and sharing liberally. At $2.99 for a 24-pack at Tom Thumb, there's no good reason not to have a case at every corner. Except runaway empties...
    I know for a fact that water & ice was at each corner at the Houston Divisional. I don't personally know if the coolers were full all the time, but I did see them being refilled between heats.

Yes, water is realitively cheap. But when did it become the responsibility of the event club's to make sure you have enough water & ice? Doesn't anyone take responsibility for their own well being? Come on guys, we're not your parents. It's not that hard to bring a cooler & put some ice/water in it.

The host clubs for these big events try to provide these items since we know even though we tell folks to bring water/ice, they still don't think about it.

Last year for the Texas Region Divisional the Club spent over $150 on ice & water during 3 days. Plus it became another job for an event official of hauling cases of water & multiple trips for ice over the 3 days.

It amazes me how this became the resposabilty of the Club's putting on events. And then people start complaining about not enough water being provided.
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

I agree with Autoxmax on this. There needs to be a level of personal responsibility. For example, the NTXAS has a hot event coming up. Since we have a large cooler, I plan to stock it with water and ice, but I will not likely have enough to give everyone the amount of water that should intake during the duration of the event. I do not have a cooler for each worker station, and I do not have the man-power to replenish them between each heat. I expect those who bring water to use their own and leave the supplied water for those who neglected to consider the situation. They can take their own cooler out to the corner station or bring a few waters from our cooler.
    Last edited by jrj512; 07-21-2010 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Fixed mispeling.

I think there should be sandwiches at every corner station. Mmmm.... sandwich....

Quote Originally Posted by mwortham View Post
    I think there should be sandwiches at every corner station. Mmmm.... sandwich....
    And Funnel Cakes!

I read somewhere where BMW has Ice Cream!!!

I should clarify: I don't think its the responsibility of the club to provide water; I think its a good idea to increase participation at summer events.
    Also, it really does impact the effectiveness and safety of corner workers if they are preoccupied with the heat instead of the cones.

Also, I'm not suggesting that clubs provide coolers full of iced beverages. I was suggesting that on 100+ degree days, a case of water be dropped at each corner station. Sure it'll be warm, but its still wet.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    I should clarify: I don't think its the responsibility of the club to provide water; I think its a good idea to increase participation at summer events.
    Also, it really does impact the effectiveness and safety of corner workers if they are preoccupied with the heat instead of the cones.

Also, I'm not suggesting that clubs provide coolers full of iced beverages. I was suggesting that on 100+ degree days, a case of water be dropped at each corner station. Sure it'll be warm, but its still wet.
    Too late. It's already your task at the next NTAXS event.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I agree that corner workers need to be aware of eachother's condition. Last TMS event, POS sent a young lady working at his corner station to stand on the grass where it was a bit cooler. I had noticed before the event that she was already sunburned from standing on pavement all day the day before at work, and I'll bet she was dehydrated too.

If you don't start hydrating the day before, you're asking for trouble. You can't fix this at an event, and it takes days to recover. You shouldn't count on the club providing water. Each adult will need 2 gallons of water per day to keep up on 100* days in a parking lot. If you had a 6 pack the day before, you're behind the curve

Bring your own water. A little sports drink is not bad, but during the heat you should drink more water than sports drinks. I try to have some Gatorade before and after the event and only water during the day.

Three things to think about:

1. If you're not peeing every hour or it has much color, you're in trouble.
    2. Covering bare skin helps protect and promotes evaporation. Keeping the body cool helps slow down the loss of vital fluids. I keep a couple of towels handy that I can dunk in the cooler and put on my head and neck.
    3. Peter Fehn says his first aid training for heat exhaustion said to pack your crotch and arm pits with ice. When you get ready to load your cooler - think about that.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Driver

Another thing you can do is soak a towel and freeze it (small dishtowels work well for this). When you get overheated (or close), pull them out of your cooler and wrap them around your neck. Cooling the blood in your neck really makes you feel better.

Bah, that's what the safety crew is there for at TMS :)
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

True....autocrossers are babied at regionals and divs....bring your own water sunscreen etc.

If you die consider it natural selection.

I learned an overweight STS car is not more competitive in CSP either No matter if you remove the top or not...

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I agree with Autoxmax on this. There needs to be a level of personal responsibility. For example, the NTXAS has a hot event coming up. Since we have a large cooler, I plan to stock it with water and ice, but I will not likely have enough to give everyone the amount of water that should intake during the duration of the event. I do not have a cooler for each worker station, and I do not have the man-power to replenish them between each heat. I expect those who bring water to use their own and leave the supplied water for those who neglected to consider the situation. They can take their own cooler out to the corner station or bring a few waters from our cooler.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

I generally keep my crotch packed with ice anyway, so it works-out well.
    Polished Turd Racing

Another person with photos from the A&M Div:

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thum...aspx?e=6934837
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123