Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 SCCA SOWDIV #2 July 31-1 at Lone Star Park hosted by Texas Region SCCA

Default 2010 SCCA SOWDIV #2 July 31-1 at Lone Star Park hosted by Texas Region SCCA

The second of two SCCA Southwest Divisional events will be right here on July 31st and August 1st at Lone Star Park in the heart of DFW! For those that have not ever attended an SCCA Divisional event, they are a lot of fun and last two days. Your fastest time from Saturday is summed with your fastest time from Sunday for your total time, on which your final position is based. So, you can either make up for a bad performance on Saturday or choke on Sunday to negate your great Saturday performance. Plus, you will get additional competition from other region's drivers that you might not normally get to race against.

In general, each day runs like a normal regional event, but with a few extra formalities that make them very similar to a National Tour event, but much more fun. The course for Sunday will be Saturday's course run in the opposite direction, but with a few changes.

As always, there will be a practice course Friday afternoon (for a small fee), a welcome party on Friday evening, and Saturday's course will be open for walking on Friday evening. There is usually another party on Saturday evening and Sunday's course will be open for walking on Saturday evening, too.

For those of you that remember how incredibly clear of gravel that Mineral Wells was for the SCCA Texas National Tour event earlier this season, the same person will be in charge of using the same method for Lone Star Park. So, expect to experience the Lone Star Park surface unlike you ever have before.

Don't forget that we will also have a Tire class, just like regional events.

I am really looking forward to this.

More info here:

https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/cale...curyearindex=4

Register early so the organizers can get an idea of how many will attend.

Registration for this event is still open!

Late Fees will apply after Monday, July 26th

2010 CHAMPIONSHIP SOWDIV Solo DIVISIONAL #2

Hosted by: Texas Region SCCA

Lone StarPark

July 31st - August 1st

Registration Fees:
    $75 for SCCA Members.
    $85 for Non-Members ($15 additional Fee is for SCCA weekend membership).

**Event Supplemental Regulations & Impound procedure/info. will be included in registration packet & will also be posted at scoreboard area.

EVENT OFFICIALS

Chairperson................................. Brad Maxcy
    Divisional Steward........................ Todd Farris
    Chief Steward.............................. Kenny Baker
    Operating Steward....................... Neal Bellamy
    Course Designer.......................... Jerrett Jan
    Chief of Safety............................. Peter Fehn
    Chief of Tech............................... Bob Neff
    Chief of Course............................ Mark Berry
    Chief of Grid................................ Phil Penner
    Chief of Protest........................... Tommy Saunders
    Chief of Registration..................... Matt Lucas
    Chief of Impound.......................... Terry Fair
    Chiefs of T&S.............................. Gary Kramar
    Chief of Waivers............................Sherrie Ledbetter
    Chief of Workers.......................... Bob Bailey & Tim Bergin
    Chief of Hospitality....................... Jennifer Maxcy

Please Note: ** Grid Areas must be clear of cars by 5:45pm Fri, Sat & Sun!

Schedule of Events:

Friday, July 30th
    12:00 p.m.- 3:00 p.m..... Test-N-Tune Practice, $3/run or $10 for 4 runs. (Your car must pass Tech to run.)
    3:00 p.m.- 5:00 p.m........ Course Area Closed for Set-Up.
    5:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m........ Registration (under main tent)
    Tech Inspection (West side of paddock area) at event site
    5:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m........ Course open for walking
    5:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m........ Welcome Party at the Event Site under Main Tent. (Included in entry fee)

Saturday, July 11th
    6:30 a.m.- 8:45 a.m....... Course open for walking.
    7:00 a.m.- 8:00 a.m....... Late Registration at Event Site (under main tent).
    7:00 a.m.- 8:00 a.m....... Late Tech at Event Site (located on West side of Paddock area).
    8:30 am....................... Grid area opens for car placement (Both A & B Grids)
    9:00 am....................... Drivers Meeting (MANDATORY for all entrants).
    9:15 am....................... First Heat workers/drivers report to Chief of Workers/Grid.
    9:30 am....................... First car out!
    6:00 pm....................... Saturday Night Party. Party is on-site @ the AirHogsBallPark (see below).

Saturday Night - “Air Hog” Party Info - Party will be at the Air Hog Baseball Stadium in the Hall of Fame - 3 base Suite.

The Party & Game ticket are included in your Entry Fee
    **Additional Party Tickets are $10 - Please contact Brad Maxcy ASAP for additional Tickets [email protected]

Party Time................. Ball Park Gates open at 6pm. (BallPark is just across from Paddock Area)
    Location in BallPark:... Hall of Fame private suite along 3rd base side - Opens at 6pm.
    Buffet Time................. 6:30pm and will remain open for 2 hours.
    Buffet Menu................ Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Chips, Cookies, Soft Drinks and FREE beer.
    Game time................. 7:05. Game Ticket is included in entry.
    **Fireworks show at end of game**

Sunday, August 1st
    7:00 a.m.-8:15 a.m........ Course open for walking & Grid area open for car placement.
    8:15 a.m...................... First Heat workers check in, Cars to Grid
    8:30 a.m...................... First car out
    3:30 p.m. (approx.) ....... Trophy presentation at Event Site under the Main Tent

**There will be a 30 minute break between the 2nd & 3rd heats for walking the course both days.
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Here is info about directions to the site and the layout: http://autocross.com/tr/Lone_Star_Pa...ons_layout.pdf

Additional event info here: http://www.autocross.com/tr

Links to the courses are posted at www.autocross.com/tr.

If you could please, I'm Looking for a little feedback here people.

As of today, it's 2 weeks until the Divisional event.

So far there are 34 entries.

At this point, there is serious discussion of trimming back most items due to the entry count being so low. Items such as the welcome party, Saturday party in the Ballpark & the hospitality tent.

I'm curious why people are not entring the event.

A couple of people have commented that entry fee is too high. Well, for that amount you get a 2 days of autocrossing/ 4 runs each day with competition from all over the state. 2 meals/parties & free beer. Plus, a Friday 3 hour practice at $1 per run.

Not a bad deal if you ask me, but that's just my thought.

So, what's the problem?
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by autoxmax View Post
    So, what's the problem?
    Work (and Jimmy's car on the poster. )

In my case, my excuse is my newborn son. I can't justify being away from the house for an entire weekend this summer, so no divisionals for me this year.

I've discussed the "red-headed stepchild" status of Divs with several local national competitors who typically don't attend, and the usual response is "all the cost and time commitment of a Pro/NT with zero contingency, so why bother?"
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I am signed up, but was on the fence about going because it is in the hottest part of the year.

All of the delays last year in the last heat on day 1 left a very bad taste in my mouth about Divs. I was working course and we had way to many delays for 2 driver cars to get their 5 min. between runs. I almost did not come back for day 2, it was much better on day 2.

For me Divs are almost more trouble than thay are worth. With having to keep audit sheets at corners, wait 5 min between runs (has to be timed by grid), cannot leave impound for 30min. after you are done. It takes alot of the fun out of autocross when it get to serious.

I am going because I love driving at Lone Star Park.

I decided not to run SCCA this year as the days are long and the seat time is limited. If I did sign up I do not know what class I would be in as I have changed my brakes to 2001 sport brakes. So many rules and I understand why they need them but I don't need them.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    "all the cost and time commitment of a Pro/NT with zero contingency, so why bother?"
    It's sad that people have decided that this is all the sport is worth to them.
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Jimmy's car on the poster.

Driver

I simply can't justify SCCA 4 runs for a day of standing around in the sun. Last year I had little competition (not SCCA's fault) and because my class was so small we tended to get f'ed every event in order to balance the heats so I was constantly running 1 and working 3.

A two day event where I'd be nothing more than a field filler (with the old car or the new car) simply is unappealing.

It's sad that people have decided that this is all the sport is worth to them.
    Brad,

That’s not quite how I read it. The drivers in question run half a dozen or more National events per year, and 20+ local events per year. It’s a matter of economy – if you have a limited competition budget (don’t we all?) and it costs as much in time, travel expenses, and expendables to run a Div as it does to run a Tour (where you have a good chance to win tires and/or cash), where are you going to go?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Brad,

That’s not quite how I read it. The drivers in question run half a dozen or more National events per year, and 20+ local events per year. It’s a matter of economy – if you have a limited competition budget (don’t we all?) and it costs as much in time, travel expenses, and expendables to run a Div as it does to run a Tour (where you have a good chance to win tires and/or cash), where are you going to go?
    Actually the drivers in question are the locals but I will address the ones you're talking about....

There was a time in this sport that people drove to enjoy their cars & a level of competition with the other drivers.

Not everyone is going to win tires/money if there's a contingency program. Not everyone is going to come in 1st or 2nd place to win the tires/money! Sorry, I don't buy that as an excuse as to why people don't go to the Divisionals! We're are not all Mark Madarash. Not everyone is going to win.... despite what your parents & teachers told you!

If the contingencies are the only reason people are autocrossing, maybe they should look at Pro Solo.

You mention "Travel Expesnses". Well, this is a local event smack dab in the middle of DFW. This is the main reason we didn't put the event in Mineral Wells!

SCCA's classes & event rules are based on providing a resonable, fair structure to provide a level of competition for "like based cars" & prep. Maybe the sport isn't about competition anymore? Perhaps that's why people go to events where there are only 4 classes & make 10+ runs or more.

People complain about the surface at TMS Bus Lot. So, we moved to a new venue & people still don't show.

So, where are the locals??

Mis-perception of the "big SCCA" autocross program?.......
    Some people think SCCA makes a ton of money off of these events & that's why the entry fees are so high. They're sadly mistaken. Tx Region hasn't made a profit from a Divisional in more than 7 years! Most of the time the region doesn't even breakeven. It's been about providing an event that was something more than "just another autocross".

Is there just no interest in Divisionals anymore? If so, TX Region will stop hosting the events. The Divisional takes too much time & region resources if there's no interest!

Still, I'd like to hear a valid reason why people don't attend these events.
    Last edited by autoxmax; 07-15-2010 at 01:31 PM.
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Driver

A reason isn't valid because you don't like it?

Brad, asking for feedback and then slamming the people giving it is not a great way to continue to get feedback.

Driver

Perhaps that's why people go to events where there are only 4 classes & make 10+ runs or more.
    I'm guessing the bolded part might be the reason people go to the more fun (ya I said it) events.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    because my class was so small we tended to get f'ed every event in order to balance the heats so I was constantly running 1 and working 3.
    I don't buy this either!

Our worker guys make every effort in the world to rotate the heats every event!

I know this for a fact!
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    I'm guessing the bolded part might be the reason people go to the more fun (ya I said it) events.
    I guess you answered my question. It's not about the competition anymore.

Enough said....
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Driver

I don't buy this either!

Our worker guys make every effort in the world to rotate the heats every event!

I know this for a fact!
    I DO buy this. The schedule set on Friday had BSP moving last year as you say, but if you go and look as to when it actually ran last year, you'll see that it was consistently changed to a different heat, typically 1-3. I understand the need to balance heats, so I didn't complain about it, but I did factor it into my decision to not run SCCA this year.

Brad, I realize the SCCA is your baby, but you have to be realistic in understanding that people want different things. For the 50+ people at NTAXS/BMW/PCA events that would be field fillers at SCCA, getting more seat time IS more fun than spending time figuring out why their carbon fiber hood (that weighs more than the stock one) puts them into SM where they have no chance of competing. This is an age old argument and I'm consistently amazed that people in charge of autox events can't grasp this concept.

You run into this issue with every sport. There are people that are passionate about it and they don't get why others aren't. People want to have fun and a bunch of rules simply remove the fun factor for most people.

In any case,

Driver

I guess you answered my question. It's not about the competition anymore.

Enough said....
    Competition is one thing. The goal is always to have fun though, right? Once something stops being fun... then why continue?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast