Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turnkey LS3 Miata - $34,245

Default Turnkey LS3 Miata - $34,245

http://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/configurator.php

430hp in a 2,500 pound car? Sounds good to me. If I had the money and it came with a warranty (not sure if it does), then it would certainly beat getting a brand new STi or a similar car in that price range.

But there are probably cheaper ways off getting that kind of power and torque (like doing the conversion yourself).

I am thinking you could super charge 2 NA's for that price and get close the same performance.

Just to be clear it's 34K + your Miata. When I got done with the options it's closer to 38K + a Miata.

I am waiting for a used one to go on sale cheap. Found one with a Jag V12 cheap but I wouldn't go near it.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    I am thinking you could super charge 2 NA's for that price and get close the same performance.
    You're planning to drive both at the same time?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Supercharged 4 cylinder? What about the torque? The only supercharger kits I've seen for the Miata are good for 150-200hp at the wheels. But I really haven't looked into it that much, so maybe I'm missing something.

If I were into that sort of thing, I'd go all-out and get an LS7. There's just something sweet about 7-liter V8s.

I wonder if a third-generation Hemi will fit under a Miata's hood. You can punch those out to 7 liters now too.
    Oh, well I've got two sevens, and two sevens beats a frush.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley Dawson View Post
    If I were into that sort of thing, I'd go all-out and get an LS7. There's just something sweet about 7-liter V8s.

I wonder if a third-generation Hemi will fit under a Miata's hood. You can punch those out to 7 liters now too.
    I don't like Hemi's. For me, it would have to be either the...

older Ford 5.0

GM's LS1/2/3/6/7

or Toyota's twin turbo 2JZ

Here is the big problem with V8 Miatas.

No one is going fast in them.
    The hubs are breaking from both V8r and Martin.
    The oil pans are so low that curbing on tracks hit them.
    Even the racecars weigh 2450lb...so unless you gut the car its going to weigh so much that you won't catch us guys in 2275lb-250whp Miatas in your 2650lb Miata.
    Power/weight doesn't matter on corner entry and exit.

Run the numbers and you're actually looking at $38,000 and it still won't cool or stop on the racetrack. It will be a $45-50,000 car before you can get it on the track even to play in HPDE.

themoreyouknow.jpg
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    Here is the big problem with V8 Miatas.

No one is going fast in them.
    The hubs are breaking from both V8r and Martin.
    The oil pans are so low that curbing on tracks hit them.
    Even the racecars weigh 2450lb...so unless you gut the car its going to weigh so much that you won't catch us guys in 2275lb-250whp Miatas in your 2650lb Miata.
    Power/weight doesn't matter on corner entry and exit.

Run the numbers and you're actually looking at $38,000 and it still won't cool or stop on the racetrack. It will be a $45-50,000 car before you can get it on the track even to play in HPDE.

themoreyouknow.jpg
    I'm not really interested in doing any racing in particular. That being said, I don't have the money for it, and I will likely have to turbo mine in the future instead.

I really do like the monster miata idea but don't really think it's quite worth the money considering other options... I'd love to have an FM2 turbo kit, ITB's, or possibly even a rotary swap on an NB. That being said, there is something about having an LS3 with an upgraded cam sitting in the engine bay of a miata that does sound awfully enticing.. It's not the performance so much, but more the uniqueness if that makes sense. Ohhh wellll...i have an NC anyways lol
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

It's not just the horsepower with those things. An LS3 Miata has three and a half times the peak torque of a stock Miata when the LS3 is at idle.

If it's lap times you're after, the FM V8 mule, Elvis, is over three seconds faster per lat at their local track than a '96 with an FM II and 260 whp/240 ft-lb.

And lap times aren't the only measure of a car either. Roll into Cars and Coffee with a turbo and nobody will notice. Rumble in with a V8, people will turn to see what it is. Pop the hood and you'd draw a crowd. Cory's right about uniqueness.

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    It's not just the horsepower with those things. An LS3 Miata has three and a half times the peak torque of a stock Miata when the LS3 is at idle.

If it's lap times you're after, the FM V8 mule, Elvis, is over three seconds faster per lat at their local track than a '96 with an FM II and 260 whp/240 ft-lb.

And lap times aren't the only measure of a car either. Roll into Cars and Coffee with a turbo and nobody will notice. Rumble in with a V8, people will turn to see what it is. Pop the hood and you'd draw a crowd. Cory's right about uniqueness.
    Exactly, when people see a big engine labeled corvette sitting in the engine bay of a little ole miata, it's just kinda remarkable.. it'd be cool to take that to one of the saturday night meetups with all the ricers and whatnot lol.. It'd also be fun to mess with all the vettes on the highway.. suddenly the miata's not such of a chic's car..
    Cory
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Also, i know the turnkey on the LS3 is quite expensive... Anybody have a relative price on the LS1???
    Cory
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote Originally Posted by CHeavin_2006 View Post
    Also, i know the turnkey on the LS3 is quite expensive... Anybody have a relative price on the LS1???
    Turn-key is expensive, but well done. If you want to learn about doing it yourself, go over to the miata.net forums and look through the engine conversion forum. There are quite a few people doing it themselves. Definitely not for the faint of heart, but it can be done.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

you can buy a built v8 miata for ~10k

Quote Originally Posted by BFPW View Post
    I'm not really interested in doing any racing in particular. That being said, I don't have the money for it, and I will likely have to turbo mine in the future instead.
    buy my old manifold and DP.

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post

you're also talking about FM's dyno, and I still haven't seen an "FMII" Make over 215whp on a DynoDynamics in the state of Texas. I question drivers because I and a few others in the 20-something crew have been on track with a few v8 Miatas and I have not been impressed. I think Cliff's car has a chance to turn some real numbers and I'd like to see it.

That's correct, nothing makes a redneck's pants tighter than an SBC stuffed in a faggy car. I'd still love to have one for daily driving.

Meh. Just keep your Miata track car and buy a C5 if you want a big V8...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by CHeavin_2006 View Post
    You can find them used for around $2,500...they are reliable engines so finding one with 50,000 miles on it will be fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast