Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 16 yo new driver, 10k budget? Help plz

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    1.) Slushbox - I say teach her to drive stick. Might make her focus on actually driving the car instead of texting and jawing with friends and fixing her face.
    2.) Safe - Tell her not to run into stuff. :)
    3.) Reliable - Japanese.
    4.) More than 2 seats - Fewer seats = fewer distractions, no back seat to make out in, etc...
    5.) Safe - Strap pillows to her and send her on her way.

...but you can't really go wrong with Cosmos' list. I'd still get her a stick shift, though.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Spend less than $5k on the first car for a 16 yr. old. Save the other 5k and get something more nice when she turns 18.
    Sharpies right, keep the price down and create an incentive for her. If she doesn't total the first car and graduates h/s then you'll buy her a nicer car with the additional $5k and her car as a trade in. 1st car's are usually wrecked often totaled.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

I had only one choice when I was a kid. Learn to drive a stick or don't drive. I also had to buy my first car and pay for my own insurance. All in all, I think it helped me realize that cars were expensive and was probably what kept me from having an accident until I hit 30 years old.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Why not teach her how to drive instead of assuming she's going to have a wreck. I didn't have my first wreck until I was 30 years old with over a half a million miles under my belt.
    It's not a matter of knowing how to drive, it's a matter of maturity. I taught both of my boys how to drive, both were very proficient. Yet the oldest totaled two cars before getting out of H/S. Once it was his fault, and once another drivers fault, although he could have avoided both accidents if he had he been paying attention to his surroundings and driving defensively. Strange thing is my youngest is a much more aggressive driver, so I figured he'd be even harder on me, yet he has not had an accident since he started driving three years ago ( knocking on wood as I write this). It's hard to know who will have a wreck and who won't.

But hey don't take my word for it, just ask your insurance company. Why do you think your rates double once a teenage driver is added to your coverage? It's because statistically they will have a wreck.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    I also had to buy my first car and pay for my own insurance. All in all, I think it helped me realize that cars were expensive and was probably what kept me from having an accident

I didn't "have" to learn to drive stick, but my first car ever was ('84 300zx turbo), so I kind of had to. Like you, I had to buy it myself, drive it home myself, and pay for the insurance myself. When I have kids, it will be the same way for them.

I also think that my moto-x background helped me realize how quickly things can get out of control at speed, so I was a step ahead of the game once I legally got behind the wheel. When i have kids, they will definitely be involved in some kind of motorized racing before they are even close to being old enough to drive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12